New amp recommendation

• Thread starter Scruffy1012
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, im looking for a 50 watt (or less than 50) head, i play mostly shred/indie rock and a lil bit of djent (lul). My budget is around 1500-1800 australian dollars, my cab is a mesa 2x12 rectifier. This will only act as a replacement until my axe fx comes back from repairs, though i wouldn't mind a keeper :D.

So far the amps ive found most suitable for my situation are:

Marshall JVM205H 50w -$1600
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266B 50w -$1459
Orange thunderverb 50w - $2000 (Ive heard nothing but good things about this amp)
Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII -$1800

Im looking for quite a tight shred tone, something with quite a lot of note definition but doesn't get mushy on fast passages or runs(Per Nilson/Gilbert) but still have the raw lead feel (Frusciante/omar rodriguez lopez). Cleans-wise, im looking for something which can soap up effects quite well, yet give the glimmering tone similar/close to a fender/ac 30.
Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarOfAttrition

Reaction score
Gilbert used a Vintage Modern for a while I think. My personal choice would be the rockerverb!!! JVM's are shit and super noisy at high gain and the thunderverb is pretty much voiced for rock and roll and sludge/doom metal. Shitloads of low end.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I love my JVM. I've played some VM and they are imo even more noisy than JVM. Still my JVM doesnt make more noices than any other tube amps I've played. Turn down the gain...

Its a really versatile amp with plenty of gain for everything. No pedals needed.. But a OD in front is nice for more spicy tone.
Thats all I can say.. If you like Opeth, then I'd look at the JVM. The JVM can do pretty much everything a VM can do, with more balls.
The VM is a good amp too, but its way too thin and creamy sounding for my taste. If you like Marshall, then Orange and Laney's are worth checking out.

Latest posts

')