New Aquisition

• Thread starter NiMH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NiMH

Banned
Reaction score
My new guitar just arrived via UPS. 7 String Gibson V from [or at least that's been to and fucked with at] the Nashville custom shop. (However I am not the first owner.)

myvmq7.png

It's got a DiMarzio X2N 7 in the bridge and a Duncam Invader in the neck. It sounds really well, even with both pups running which is a setting I barely ever use. It's heavy as a bastard and plays like a dream, the only thing is that the neck is a little thicker and the frets are slightly smaller than my Jackson, but that's really no biggie.

I'll have my friend drop by with an 8.[whateverthefuck] megapixel camera and add some new shots of it. This particular one comes from a bidless ebay auction that resulted in my owning this instrument.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NiMH

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats!

Isn't it the Epiphone Korina V with Gibson parts?

Could be. The serial number was removed during some refinishing the guitar underwent during it's stay with the original owner. I'm calling it a Gibson to make myself feel good, however it could very well be an Epi. The thing that makes me lean toward it's Gibby authenticity is the weight. I've played on the 2003 Epi V's (that were all Korina, I believe) and this axe is considerably heavier and sounds like mahogany. Shit, it could be made out of plywood and would still sound awesome with those pups in it.

how well does it balance?

Better than an Iceman but neck-heavier than a Rhoades. It sits just slightly lower than I'd hold it naturally with little to no neck support. You can get really bad strapburn from it sliding, though, so collared shirts are recommended.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm sure i remember reading a description of a guitar very much like that, and it was exactly what playstopause described: an Epiphone with some Gibson parts.

Pretty freakin' cool, though.

How much did it set you back?

NiMH

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure i remember reading a description of a guitar very much like that, and it was exactly what playstopause described: an Epiphone with some Gibson parts.

Pretty freakin' cool, though.

How much did it set you back?

Yeah, that was the auction description. I spoke with the seller quite extensively (trying to get him to not relist the guitar on ebay while I awaited my tax check from H+R "we take fucking forever" Block) and even he wasn't certain of it's exact heritage...he just wasn't willing to try and sell it as a "Gibson" on ebay with no serial number. Gibson or Epi the damn thing still plays great, and if it is indeed an Epiphone it's the best constructed one I've seen yet.

The only thing that seems to throw me off is, again, the weight. The 2003 Korina Epi's might as well be an Ibanez S Series by comarison. Playablility-wise it feels alot like my old SG, minus the spontaneously falling apart thing.

Shredrrr

Reaction score
Most definitely a Epi, but as long as you didn't pay more than $400ish you got a awesome deal. Name on the headstock don't mean shit if it don't play good. Sounds like you got a good deal and that guitar probably sounds BRUTAL with the Invader and X2n. Big congrats.

Latest posts

')