New Balaguer Model Diablo

• Thread starter sonoftheoldnorth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Well that settles it, Kiesel finally has a rival. The only thing that kept me from Balaguer for so long was the traditional shapes, but this is a whole new level of awesome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
How have I never checked these guys out?

Time to spend a bunch of time speccing out guitars I'll never order.

If they're less douchey than Jeff Kiesel then I might even order something? That tool really turned me off of Carvin/Kiesel. In my formative years I really wanted a DC series neck-thru but that guy's personality is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

lewis

Reaction score
How have I never checked these guys out?

Time to spend a bunch of time speccing out guitars I'll never order.

If they're less douchey than Jeff Kiesel then I might even order something? That tool really turned me off of Carvin/Kiesel. In my formative years I really wanted a DC series neck-thru but that guy's personality is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Oh dont worry in that respect. These guys are fantastic.
Joe seems a really nice dude anytime ive had social media interaction with him!

Masoo2

Reaction score
Wasn't sure as to cream vs white pickup bobbin but cmon mannnnn that's nice

6462ec4e385dba9648f9d3d0055df63f.png

992fd4723eec80e1a51b7c25a0f56531.png

And this one but with the 28.5 inch scale option jeeez

df2fa6c6336e06d8a7a9fccb9397a36b.png

The only shapes I've ever liked from Balaguer were the Woodman, Growler, and kindamaybe Anomaly, so to see this nice of a shape from them is a very welcome addition to their lineup :agreed:

mbardu

Reaction score
The more I look at the Diablo, the more it looks like a slightly different Magistra.
Were they trying to copy that shape specifically?

Magismallsmhq2he751ise1veaj1m.jpg

Well that settles it, Kiesel finally has a rival. The only thing that kept me from Balaguer for so long was the traditional shapes, but this is a whole new level of awesome.

I'd really really like to see more reviews of what their semi-customs are worth. At easily 2k+ for basic builds made overseas, they certainly don't come cheap.
They have lots of options that I like, way more options than Kiesel in a bunch of areas actually. Like choice of scale lengths, choice of body carve, bindings, construction, wenge necks, location of truss rod control. Their metallic finishes look good. Lots to like on paper! Having an online that works is also cool.

Cons IMO: Headstocks are "meh", inlays are "meh" too. Can't get an oiled neck apparently, and if your custom guitar is a lemon you're pretty much stuck with it.

One important thing I'm not too sure about for their import semi-customs: what are the fret and fret materials choices? Not sure I've seen it on the builder.
Also, does anyone know if they're using the "good" luminlays?

Last edited:

Masoo2

Reaction score
The more I look at the Diablo, the more it looks like a slightly different Magistra.
Were they trying to copy that shape specifically?
View attachment 90002
I'd really really like to see more reviews of what their semi-customs are worth. At easily 2k+ for basic builds made overseas, they certainly don't come cheap.
They have lots of options that I like, way more options than Kiesel in a bunch of areas actually. Like choice of scale lengths, choice of body carve, bindings, construction, wenge necks, location of truss rod control. Their metallic finishes look good. Lots to like on paper! Having an online that works is also cool.
I thought the same when I first saw the body shape, but I think it's different enough for the market. At least, different enough to actually make me like the shape :D I'm normally not too keen on "S-types with odd/rounder proportions that still try to be an S-type" but something about this is just slick.

I too would like to see more reviews of Balaguer. I've criticized their finishes in the past, it's just preference but many of their satin/matte finishes look a bit "dull" compared to others on the market if that makes sense somehow, but the guitars themselves I've heard nothing but good things about. You're right about the price though, it's far past the point of production MIK/MII and moving past MIJ as well. Something like a MIJ Vola with a similar "S-type but different" body and unique hardware/electronics options (ie HSS 7 string) can be had for $1500 or less, though obviously less choices on finish and wood options. More reviews of Balaguer, especially niche builds with some of the oddball features they offer like 7 string P90s and extended scales, would be something I'd really want to see before committing.

Regardless, props to Balaguer for coming to market with so many options and continuing to expand upon them. They recently made a 7 string Jazzmaster with a P90 neck pickup that came out stunning, it's on their Instagram page and tagged photos as well.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I was making a plain mahogany one with blackhawks that was pretty slap but I broke the configurator :lol:

mbardu

Reaction score
:shrug: My tartarus fits fine in my rack

Sure, if you insist- Good for you if yours works for you, but it wouldn't fit in mine which has to be in that orientation, with the guitars having to face that way (due to the setup of the room).

smallCase.jpg

The Tartarus reverse offset would just have it lean the opposite way with its neck poking out and nowhere to rest.

And my sole wall hanger with limited space is already occupied by my "Explorer":

smallDSC03215 (3).JPG

But I feel like this is derailing the thread maybe just a little bit :lol:

')