New Balaguer Model Diablo

• Thread starter sonoftheoldnorth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mbardu

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're finding backwards. Indeed, they've had gaffes and instances featuring Jeff going off as a sentient TapOut shirt over social media; I for one did not say something earlier one way or another past the extent of such issues being real and documented.
If anything, the criticisms when such times have come were in more detail past some single sentence blurb on how the guitar either sucks or is the best thing since sliced bread. Either way, whether it's in a minority or not, these haven't been doing any real favors for the brand so far, at least not from the ones that have blown up like Jeff's case of getting roasted more than that maple neck last spring, give or take.

As for Balaguer, yeah they're relatively more obscure. There is an increasing following of sorts, though. Especially out of other folks that I've run into who are also into more 'modern' guitars and music so far. While I don't care for brand loyalty, it is concerning at times to hear some fans of their guitars starting to sound like a cult of sorts- sometimes not too far off from what I've seen in a couple Kiesel groups over the internet, be it the boomer crowd or the djentstick crowd, or whoever else.

ie- I recently encountered a couple other guitarists who were trying way too hard to proselytize the brand and their instruments towards me (for a lack of better, more succinct descriptions), only to take great offense and go on a bit of a tirade when I declined on account of not being interested as I have my own preferences that differ, and I have what I like and need at this time. It was weird.

Maybe I misunderstood you. What I meant with "backwards" was presenting Keisel as "risky", whereas their "risk" is a small known quantity- while Balaguer is much more of an unknown.

Hopefully there are more of those semi-customs in the wild in the next 4/6 months so that we have a good basis of objective info and reviews. Would at least be a prerequisite for me before ordering one, no matter how tempting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ignoramus

Reaction score
I'm also curious about the actual quality of the guitars.
And the price (easily over 2k$) is not low. That was my reaction too.

It's not fair to compare the price of a new custom Balaguer to that of a second hand US-made guitar though. Second hand Balaguer are a things too, and they don't cost 2k.

On new then, compared to something like Kiesel, the price is in the same ballpark indeed so it makes you think. But looking at an equivalent Suhr/Jackson/ESP/... the Korean semi-customs Balaguer would probably still save you 30/40%. Easily. Add to that the very numerous shape/scale length/construction combinations...and it's not a totally ridiculous proposition.

I can chime in, FWIW. I bought an essentially-new Hyperion Deluxe for a very reasonable price in 2018. Not a custom or semi-custom -- just a production model. The craftsmanship and attention to detail were extremely good. Their branded Feral pickups were well matched for the chambered mahogany/maple body, and could easily handle my version of hard rock/metal. Satin finish on the back -- no sticky neck syndrome.

What ultimately made me sell it locally was the size and the balance. It felt huge even compared to an Explorer, and while the neck dive could be mitigated mostly with a wide suede strap, it bugged me enough to sell it (and to make room for another guitar...). Some like the offset feature of such a guitar. I found out I didn't. Ironically, Guitar Center couldn't even give me a quote to buy it, since there's so little sales data out there. Ended up selling on Craigslist in less than a week.

Would I buy another? Sure. I was hunting for a used Astra but Balaguer fans seem to feel their guitars are worth a whole lot more than what I'd pay.
Would I buy a new one? No, but mostly because I prefer buying used.

mbardu

Reaction score
Posting here as well since I talked about it in the "Show your GAS" thread - how the Diablo looks "a little bit inspired" from the Magistra.

Magis1505587303 (3).jpg
My-Balaguer-Custom-Guitar (4).jpg

olejason

Reaction score
Looks better to me as well. That's such a generic shape to begin with it isn't really worth fussing over whether or not it's inspired by anything.

mbardu

Reaction score
Looks better to me as well. That's such a generic shape to begin with it isn't really worth fussing over whether or not it's inspired by anything.

It's far from the most common shape around, and the two above look way way closer than the Skervy for example (second best attempt in this thread). Actually even a Cort G looks closer than the Skervy.

But that's just an observation, not a fuss or a bad thing in and of itself. The Suhr standards look like strats (way more common shape), yet they're still great. The diablo might just be great too, and the fact it looks like it does is a "plus" in my book since I love how the Magistra looks :)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Oh shoot, I thought the price bump already happened! Any idea how much? I'm assuming it's base price, and not on specific options, but I don't know anything about it.

mbardu

Reaction score
Oh shoot, I thought the price bump already happened! Any idea how much? I'm assuming it's base price, and not on specific options, but I don't know anything about it.

"This weekend will be your last chance to get an order in before the increase so get your order in now!"

From their page yesterday. They sometimes (I think?) have 15% off on orders, so maybe it's still better to wait for a sale?

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"This weekend will be your last chance to get an order in before the increase so get your order in now!"

From their page yesterday. They sometimes (I think?) have 15% off on orders, so maybe it's still better to wait for a sale?
They're already more expensive than Kiesel despite being made overseas. Interesting that they're raising prices

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
They're already more expensive than Kiesel despite being made overseas. Interesting that they're raising prices
Completely agree, but the attraction here is that I can get an 8 string Floyd. No one else is doing that. I can get a Shredzilla 8 from BCR for $1700, but for just $300 more I can get my exact spec. I already have one Balaguer 8 with trem, so I’m not 100% sure I can rationalize the purchase. But the temptation with these semi custom companies (Balaguer, kiesel, etc) is tough to resist!

mbardu

Reaction score
Just checked this morning and the Diablo I had priced at 1949$ (already a bit high IMO) is now 2160$ after price hike.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I literally had my Diablo in the cart, shipping figured out, etc. But then I grabbed the Tartarus I bought a few months ago and decided I really should play this instead of spend my time speccing out a new order, lol. I’m sure I’ll still get one, but I kind of want to see if they do a SSH option. And maybe a fuchsia stain option.

mystix

Reaction score
I literally had my Diablo in the cart, shipping figured out, etc. But then I grabbed the Tartarus I bought a few months ago and decided I really should play this instead of spend my time speccing out a new order, lol. I’m sure I’ll still get one, but I kind of want to see if they do a SSH option. And maybe a fuchsia stain option.

you can always ask them about custom colors. I got a purple fade thicket years before they even offered fades to the public.

mystix

Reaction score
How much did they charge you if I may ask?

For that one... I forget at this point but it was reasonable enough for me to pull the trigger. I tend to be thrifty. I can’t imagine it would be a lot based on what you described.

')