New Balaguer Model Diablo

• Thread starter sonoftheoldnorth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm definitely interested in a custom stain color. Honestly, I just can't make up my mind between a paint scheme and a stain on a fancy wood.

The other thing holding me back is I don't know how big the Diablo body is. If this is the size of a Soloist, that's different than if it's bigger. I say that because if it's bigger then I gotta figure out how much bigger. I'm assuming no one knows, but does anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I'm also curious about the actual quality of the guitars.
And the price (easily over 2k$) is not low. That was my reaction too.

It's not fair to compare the price of a new custom Balaguer to that of a second hand US-made guitar though. Second hand Balaguer are a things too, and they don't cost 2k.

On new then, compared to something like Kiesel, the price is in the same ballpark indeed so it makes you think. But looking at an equivalent Suhr/Jackson/ESP/... the Korean semi-customs Balaguer would probably still save you 30/40%. Easily. Add to that the very numerous shape/scale length/construction combinations...and it's not a totally ridiculous proposition.

Jackson won’t make you a 7 string warrior in any color but brown, and Ibanez won’t sell you a Xiphos at all.

mbardu

Reaction score
Jackson won’t make you a 7 string warrior in any color but brown, and Ibanez won’t sell you a Xiphos at all.

Definitely. I should have specified "number of strings" and other things too from their builder alongside the "shape/scale length/construction combinations" because the variety of setups they can give you is truly amazing. Stainless steel frets offset superstrat with Les Paul scale in H-S configuration for example...I couldn't think of anyone else offering that.

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're finding backwards. Indeed, they've had gaffes and instances featuring Jeff going off as a sentient TapOut shirt over social media; I for one did not say something earlier one way or another past the extent of such issues being real and documented.
If anything, the criticisms when such times have come were in more detail past some single sentence blurb on how the guitar either sucks or is the best thing since sliced bread. Either way, whether it's in a minority or not, these haven't been doing any real favors for the brand so far, at least not from the ones that have blown up like Jeff's case of getting roasted more than that maple neck last spring, give or take.

As for Balaguer, yeah they're relatively more obscure. There is an increasing following of sorts, though. Especially out of other folks that I've run into who are also into more 'modern' guitars and music so far. While I don't care for brand loyalty, it is concerning at times to hear some fans of their guitars starting to sound like a cult of sorts- sometimes not too far off from what I've seen in a couple Kiesel groups over the internet, be it the boomer crowd or the djentstick crowd, or whoever else.

ie- I recently encountered a couple other guitarists who were trying way too hard to proselytize the brand and their instruments towards me (for a lack of better, more succinct descriptions), only to take great offense and go on a bit of a tirade when I declined on account of not being interested as I have my own preferences that differ, and I have what I like and need at this time. It was weird.

I find your perspective really interesting, since it lacks context from the other side (the side of folks who own my guitars and/or like what we do). Most of your comments in Balaguer threads, via FB groups, are usually overtly negative and tend to tell the OP to look elsewhere at (insert other brands here) and I honestly don't know why that is. It has been happening for well over a year. How do I know all of this? Well, I get about 4-6 people DM'ing me anytime you pop into a thread mentioning Balaguer and it's always the same thing... "Hey Joe, why do we always see this guy John badmouthing BG?" My response is always the same, "I have no idea, he has me blocked on here so I can't even see his comment anyway." It wasn't until recently that you unblocked me on Facebook because I reached out to the Admin of one of the Facebook Groups my brand is an affiliate with. Odd.

I think a lot of your talking points before this comment were great and this whole thread is really informative - but I was a bit bummed to see you post this, since it is misleading to the folks who don't get the full scope. Anyways, just wanted to pop in and give some additional perspective..

Last edited:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I find your perspective really interesting, since it lacks context from the other side (the side of folks who own my guitars and/or like what we do). Most of your comments in Balaguer threads, via FB groups, are usually overtly negative and tend to tell the OP to look elsewhere at (insert other brands here) and I honestly don't know why that is. It has been happening for well over a year. How do I know all of this? Well, I get about 4-6 people DM'ing me anytime you pop into a thread mentioning Balaguer and it's always the same thing... "Hey Joe, why do we always see this guy John badmouthing BG?" My response is always the same, "I have no idea, he has me blocked on here so I can't even see his comment anyway." It wasn't until recently that you unblocked me on Facebook because I reached out to the Admin of one of the Facebook Groups my brand is an affiliate with. Odd.

I think a lot of your talking points before this comment were great and this whole thread is really informative - but I was a bit bummed to see you post this, since it is misleading to the folks who don't get the full scope. Anyways, just wanted to pop in and give some additional perspective..

Yeah, I saw John's post about people proselytizing BG. I don't see how anyone can criticize a guitarist for being excited about a brand with solid builds and good customer service. As someone who has been burned by multiple luthiers/companies, I would sure as hell try to talk another guitar player into buying a Balaguer. If that's proselytizing, then I am guilty of it. But I'll also steer people the hell away from shady companies, too. I've had nothing but awesome dealings with your company, and I would definitely recommend someone get one. Just like I'd recommend Brian Bowes, Tom Drinkwater, Kevin Fast, and the incredibly tiny group of luthiers/companies who have delivered custom built instruments to me with awesome customer service. It would be interesting to get the back story on John's skepticism of BG, though.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score

Actually, to really simplify things- this isn't the full picture either. Keep in mind that you have fans and plenty of them have their own biases, some of which are far more rabid than others, which is part of the package deal of having a company that makes stuff. Not once did I ever say, "zomg Joe's stuff sucks" to legitimately spew hatred towards your direction- shame on those who assume I have been. And so, it's very disheartening and disappointing to see things getting blown out into proportion, out of context, and/or wildy exaggerated among your ardent supporters. All I've said on my side of things is presenting other options- God forbid we have more options that others may not be privy to, and whatnot. I have my own preferences, and other people have theirs- that's to be expected. But with those biases, others who have tried to besmirch my name like that are preposterous and ridiculous to say the least.

I'm disappointed to see that we've had to speak to one another on a more public space like this in this way and in this form, but I hope that clears things up even if it's by a little bit.

John

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can criticize a guitarist for being excited about a brand with solid builds and good customer service.

Being excited for a brand and/or its stuff is one thing, just about all of us have felt that way with something at one point. That being said, having to deal with some folks who keep spamming, "Buy this guy's stuff and you'll never want to use your current stuff again," gets lame really fast. Needless to say, that isn't the way of trying to win others over.

inb4 some scrub tries misconstruing that, too- that's not Joe's words of trying to sell me unto the brand, that's from some of his far more- shall we say- enthusiastic supporters who've tried, at times insisted, that I burn my cash on that stuff straight away whether I'm in the market for another guitar or not.
Even a relatively smaller company has its population, great or small, of fans that cross into that toxic territory. Gibson has it, Fender has it, PRS has it (as much as I've been more than happy to user their stuff, Ibanez has it, etc etc.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, if that’s the case, John, then that clears it up. It just seemed you were more actively telling others to not buy a Balaguer than you were saying that you weren’t in the market for a new guitar. And blocking Joe makes it look personal against the brand. If it’s just fanboys you don’t dig, I think we’ve all been there.

John

Reaction score
Yeah, if that’s the case, John, then that clears it up. It just seemed you were more actively telling others to not buy a Balaguer than you were saying that you weren’t in the market for a new guitar. And blocking Joe makes it look personal against the brand. If it’s just fanboys you don’t dig, I think we’ve all been there.

Yeah, the toxic fanboy routine isn't anything new under the sun for any of us. It's inevitable whether it's about guitars, or anything else well outside of that scope of this topic and thread (ie- sports, movies, even food ffs), regardless of how well known or obscure any of it may be.

I'm glad I was able to clear things up, at least here.

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
Yeah, the toxic fanboy routine isn't anything new under the sun for any of us. It's inevitable whether it's about guitars, or anything else well outside of that scope of this topic and thread (ie- sports, movies, even food ffs), regardless of how well known or obscure any of it may be.

I'm glad I was able to clear things up, at least here.

I get your perspective, I think we've all been there one way or another. I'll PM you offline so we can squash this.

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
@JoeGuitar717 since you're around...any plan to add actual European distributor/retailers?
This new Diablo shape is pretty much "it", and being able to give it a go would be awesome, but it kinda is the wrong time to buy from the UK...:cond:

Yep, it’s in the works. We’re speaking to a few distributors and dealers in Europe. Where are you located?

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
:shrug: My tartarus fits fine in my rack

PXL-20210210-030726853-2.jpg
Can you read me a few pages of “Encyclopedia of Unusual Sexual Practices”?

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
If anyone is on the fence about BG, have no worries. I initially got into BG because unexpected medical bills forced me to sell of my Suhrs. I came across BG thinking I could pick up one to hold me over until I could afford another Suhr. Well, it's 15 BG's later and my Suhr gas has been quenched. I'd put BG quality right up there with Music Man and (better than) Kiesel. The semi-customs(when being shipped in the US) go through the shop in PA for a pretty rigorous QC check. Here is the latest one I received... a toro. I based the electronics off of the Ibanez Tom Quayle and it does NOT disappoint.

sE9vjiW.jpeg

qINkunP.jpeg

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I currently live in Saxony, Germany

Shoot me a PM if you have a specific/favorite retailer you buy from. We can probably work something out.

@JoeGuitar717 , any chance of a reversrd headstock option for the 3x3 modern headstock :)?

is there also an option to do 3x3 on the diablo headstock and to have the headstock all one colour?

We’ve done a reverse modern 3x3 before, yep! We can do the headstock all one color, just let us know in your order notes.

Skullet

Reaction score
Shoot me a PM if you have a specific/favorite retailer you buy from. We can probably work something out.

We’ve done a reverse modern 3x3 before, yep! We can do the headstock all one color, just let us know in your order notes.

Thanks @JoeGuitar717 , can the reversed modern headstock be added to the custom generator :)?

')