New band is in Drop C, so I should tune to....?

• Thread starter Bribanez
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bribanez

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been a member here for awhile but more of a lurker. I have a question and I'm sure you guys can help me out.

My new band is tuned to drop C. So I dusted off a few of my 6s and dropped them down. But now I miss my 7s and want to bring them back.

So if the other guitar player is in Drop C what would you guys tune to? I can just Drop C the 7 and tune the B string down to a G?

Anyone had to deal with a stubborn 6 stringer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Definitely do the Drop C with a high G. I was filling in for a band around here with sixes in drop C, and having that extra high string was a lot of fun for leads.

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
yea i used to play in c with a low g and it was just mud on the g even with a bright guitar and active pickups, go for c with a high g.

shogunate

Reaction score
I vote for the high G as well. I've seen multiple bands with a 7 and six string player, and it just sounds off... The one time I saw it work and enjoyed it was a local band and the 7 stringer just chugged and riffed while the sixer did leads and processed FX stuff, but they were doing really techno-y, out there stuff, lots of pitchshifters and killswitches and phasers:lol:

If you have really good chemistry with the sixer in your band, and your music calls for DJENTDJENTDJENT DJENTYDJENT DJENT occasionally, fucking go for the extra low, if you want to pull more leads and keep the tuning cohesive, go for the high G. Go forth and rock, whatever you choose:hbang::hbang:

Reaction score
I used to play in Bb while everyone else was in Eb. It worked like a 5 string bassist with 6 string guitars I guess.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
The last band I was in, I played 7 while the vocalist played a 6. Writing was a bit frustrating sometimes, but I was handling most of the rhythm and lead playing as it was, and it was one of the most full sounding bands I've played in. The reason why a 6 player and a 7 player usually sound like shit is because neither of them know what they're doing. You have to use both instruments to accent each other, and the mix has to be equal and solid between the two.

I'm currently playing my 7 in C# standard with the B dropped to a G. With some added treble and gain control, it doesn't sound muddy at all. I still don't use the low G for chording often, but still works great. :yesway:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Tune up a half step? Be a man! 1 finger powerchords are for wusses!

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Only issue with high G is string tension.
If you're like me who comes from the school of blues rock soloing and does a lot of bending and vibrato, but more modernized (so think, more Michael Amott rather Clapton) then I can't see a high G lasting long with normal strings.
An 8 gauge will happily cope with a high F#, but G is going to be pushing it IMO unless you want to go the route of custom made strings, which are not exactly that cheap

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
Tune up a half step? Be a man! 1 finger powerchords are for wusses!

Agreed but... to be fair... it kinda depends on the music. Sometimes you're expected to riff through those diads as though they were single lines and then it's impractical to not drop tune.

I actually have this exact same issue. I have a 6, a 7, and an 8, and the band I'm with is playing drop C and I don't want to. I can use any guitar to play with them but takes away the nice easy open-string fingerings :(

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Only issue with high G is string tension.
If you're like me who comes from the school of blues rock soloing and does a lot of bending and vibrato, but more modernized (so think, more Michael Amott rather Clapton) then I can't see a high G lasting long with normal strings.
An 8 gauge will happily cope with a high F#, but G is going to be pushing it IMO unless you want to go the route of custom made strings, which are not exactly that cheap

An .008 will make high G no problem. I played a 7 tuned DADGBEG for a very long time and only broke the high G once or twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')