New Bare Knuckle "Cobra" Single Coils

• Thread starter Electric Wizard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Just saw Nolly post this on Facebook, the new BKP single coils:

10841845_427590604056190_799340334110144474_o.jpg

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/bare-knuckle-pickups/sets/colbra-single-coil[/SC]

Seems like these are what people had speculated were Blackhawk singles. According to the BKP site they're true singles and not stacked or squashed humbuckers. Still surprisingly thick sounding with gain.

I'm not really on the BKP bandwagon but these make me want a proper strat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Sweet! Might try one on my Apex 100. Thanks for the heads up! :yesway:

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
Just for gits and shiggles, I wanted to price it out and discovered that if I buy a Bolt kit from Carvin and a trio of Cobras, I can make a blacked out superstrat for about $1,000. Hrm....

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
^ I had been eyeing a bolt plus kit myself until I saw these. Might have to steal that idea, although I'm also hoping they put out kit versions of the 24 fretters.

Adamewf

Reaction score
Not really a fan of the black hawk look on a single coil. I curious what it would look like in a HSH guitar equipped with black hawks

vansinn

Reaction score
Looks like old-school OBL 450's with raised blades - check my pinky burst Düesenberg in my albums section ;)

Twin-blade pups are a great design that can be made to sound aggressive, Stratcat'ish et al..

I love my OBL's (since like some 30 years); great definition, totally quiet.
Hopefully BK will make them as 7's and 8's too :yesway:

EDIT1: I missed they're stated as being true single-coils; I had assumed they'd be dual slim coils..
EDIT2: Yup, sevens are available!
Sounds good too; I especially like the Progressive and Classic Rock versions, for my needs, that is..

Simic

Reaction score
Not really a fan of the black hawk look on a single coil. I curious what it would look like in a HSH guitar equipped with black hawks

10830717_410582565756994_4216447917827639191_o.jpg

I'm probably going to get a cobra neck in a 7 string custom that should arrive sometime this year. I only wish they would be available in white (parachment white to be exact :D) since I think white pickups match better with a dark top (walnut) than black pickups.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
interesting - so they are single coils still - does that mean noisy like a single? also curious about the output. The main reason i avoid singles coils is due to not wanting to mix and match such varying output in my guitars. If these were more in line with your average HB that would be cool.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
Judging by the DC resistance and the sound clips, I'd guess these are humbucker-hot.

Adamewf

Reaction score
10830717_410582565756994_4216447917827639191_o.jpg

I'm probably going to get a cobra neck in a 7 string custom that should arrive sometime this year. I only wish they would be available in white (parachment white to be exact :D) since I think white pickups match better with a dark top (walnut) than black pickups.

Wow, im surprised. I actually really dig the cobra look in a HSH config with blackhawks. A white option for the blackhawk and cobra would be pretty sweet :agreed:

DapperEagle

Reaction score
Had one put into the bridge position on my strat, they are very very very nice with gain. Cleans are ok then again i've not tried to much clean since the gain sounds are so tasty :hbang:

Not to much hum, even with a Dr.Sci The Elements cranked up. Seems strange since they are said to be a true single coil. I assume the bladed design helps with this (??)

The Dimarzio that was in the bridge just seems super muddy compared it to it now but that was a single sized humbucker...maybe I just like singles haha

')