New body for my grg7221

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Just make sure you get an rg body that has a 68mm neck pocket. Some of the older ibanez rg7321s came with a 65mm neck pocket and so it would not fit. But in all honesty probably woudlnt be worth it.

Reaction score
I agree in itself it's not really an upgrade, but I've dreamt of doing my own finish on a guitar and building one myself, so this is the first step towards this �� after that I'd like to upgrade the pickups and choose another neck etc with the aim that even. If it goes wrong I'll always have a guitar to use. If worst came to worst I could always redo the finish and still have my cheap ass grg. It plays well but the body is so light and airy I always feel like it's going to break. As evidenced by when it first arrived from delivery it has split in two down the body from the neck to the strap button, right along the edges of the pickup covers. It was one of the worst birthday surprises I've ever had lol

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
The only problem is the money you would put into finding a new body that works (meaning not a straight up 7321 body) would be far more expensive than buying a used 7321 or 7421 for that matter. I understand you with the body weight being an issue as I have a Fender squier bullet strat that plays amazing but weighs so light that it doesn't even feel like a guitar. By all means you can go ahead and get a new or used body but you would be wasting your money.

Reaction score
The idea has never really been to improve a guitar, just to build one myself. I can get hold of a body fairly cheaply, and I've never been under the illusion it wasn't going to cost me to do it, it's just always been at the back of my mind that I wanted to do it.

Any thoughts on a custom body from a 3rd party manufacturer?

Reaction score
The only problem is the money you would put into finding a new body that works (meaning not a straight up 7321 body) would be far more expensive than buying a used 7321 or 7421 for that matter. I understand you with the body weight being an issue as I have a Fender squier bullet strat that plays amazing but weighs so light that it doesn't even feel like a guitar. By all means you can go ahead and get a new or used body but you would be wasting your money.

I agree on the face of it it wouldn't seem like it was worth the money, but a year down the line when I've got everything I want on it I can put the grg back together and do whatever with it. It's more about satisfying my urge to have a homemade custom with the setup I've always wanted than an upgrade of my current guitar. I was just hoping to use the neck in the meantime really. I was really just looking into whether ibby 7 necks were a standard size at the neck pocket so I could use the one I have for now and get a better neck later on