New BRJ Day

• Thread starter elq
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
funny thing is i don't think i'd ever notice these type of things, i guess i suck at life, oh well

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
:lol: @ this thread having kids bust Guitar Center's balls over mediocre fretwork.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
Wouldn't bother me, but I guess if I paid a certain amount for a guitar I would. :shrug:

yeah i mean i could be wrong, but i bet i've looked over a lot of things, and really i know i'm looking over a lot of things now with one of the guitars i own, it's just kind of whatever though, ya know? idk $0.02 that's all

i mean i got my ONI and i don't think i've put it through the ringer or whatever as much as in the above, it's not that i don't care, it's just i don't get so mired in details and things that i figure just go to show that NOTHING is perfect no matter the money,

then again i may be wrong,

but then i think us as players in general are stupid for thinking that anybody in the audience is giving two shits about the plastic nut or whatever else about our gear, except for other players,

all i'm saying is i came to the realization a while ago that people in the audience don't know and don't care, you could go on stage with a 15000 dollar setup or a SS combo with a ten inch speaker and a beater for a guitar and no one would care unless you sucked hard

whatever though

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
So, when I first got my KxK, the frets were round and I actually thought Rob fucked up the fretwork as EVERY guitar I've had before then had a nice flat spot on top. Once I realized that, you know, frets are supposed to look like that I began thinking about other things that I wasn't noticing.

There really are a lot of small differences between a very well made guitar and a not so well made guitar. They might not mean anything to you, but I appreciate the time and care and attention it takes.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
So, when I first got my KxK, the frets were round and I actually thought Rob fucked up the fretwork as EVERY guitar I've had before then had a nice flat spot on top. Once I realized that, you know, frets are supposed to look like that I began thinking about other things that I wasn't noticing.

There really are a lot of small differences between a very well made guitar and a not so well made guitar. They might not mean anything to you, but I appreciate the time and care and attention it takes.

i can't really tell if you are addressing me, but i'm going to assume so because i'm the only asshole on here making commentary that is somewhat contentious,

believe it or not i agree with you,

i could say nuff said, but i'm not a succinct person i guess,, idk

yeah i think i'm making a point more about what i pay attention to and care about with my guitars versus what any lay person (the people i'd normally play for if the occasion arose) would care about, and that's it

i think that a quality instrument is inspiring and actually helps your playing to a certain extent, and that's kind of a stretch sometimes, i mean i get joy out of playing a beater next to a really good instrument because it plays sooo differently and i then somehow get another idea i'd have missed on the better instrument

so yeah, i've had quality issues come from supposed high end guitar makers etc, it's frustrating to say the least, i guess i feel uncomfortable with the idea of airing it out for all to see, in any situation, making me a pussy i suppose, ya know?

so yeah peace i'm going to masturbate or do something less active, jk

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Personally, I would not care too much about the binding or the small scratches, but I don't like plastic nuts... at all. And flat frets just don't intonate well enough, and feel odd when you do slides.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
One quick point about flat-top style frets:
Provided that they are uniformally flattened and leveled, then this actually improves intonation on the lower half (especially frets 1-7) of the fretboard. Now everyone's thinking I'm crazy so let me explain my rational.

When we set intonation the standard way, we adjust the saddle so the open string note and 12th fret harmonic are equal to the fretted string note at the 12th fret.
Now when we fret the string at the lower frets we do not have to push down as far, which results in the note being a tiny bit flat. This is why many guys set the intone on the lower strings differently by matching the open string note or 12th fret harmonic to concert pitch, and then setting the saddles to make the fretted 5th or 7th also match concert pitch. This different approach will then result in the higher up frets being a smidget sharp. Guitar is always a compromise, right lol.
Actually many set the big string to match the 5th fret, the next biggest string to match the 7th fret note, the next to match the 9th, and then the plains to match the normal 12th fret. This is great because it intonates the best it can in the spots you need it most.

Setting the big strings to intonate better on the lower half as described requires you to bump the saddle towards the neck, thereby shortening the total scale length slightly, which in effect just sharpens the fretted notes.

Now the main complaint I've read with flat-tops is that they move the point of contact up a hair, thereby sharpening the fretted notes slightly.
But just as described above this works to our advantage on the lower part of the fretboard making up for the fact we don't have as far to depress the string at those 1-5 frets (especially when there's that small bit of needed neck curve.

So basically my point is that the flat-tops actually reduce the need for the alternative (staggered style) intonation setup method. It works in our favor for lower half of fretboard.

Of coarse there's also the feel factor. I like them better for sliding power chords because it seems slicker, but this probably has alot to do with the frets height as much as it does the shaping. I can completely understand if some don't like the feel though because that's just a preference thing.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I took the strings off to get better pictures of the frets and nut.

It looks like I may be wrong about the nut. It does seem to be bone. I've only owned one guitar with a bone nut before and the bone was quite opaque and this bone is slightly translucent, hence the error. This nut certainly feels like bone and weighs much more than a plastic nut would.

P1000294.JPG

P1000297.JPG

These frets seem really flat to me, I can't say I'm a big fan of this type of fret work.

P1000299.JPG

P1000300.JPG

P1000301.JPG

Heh. Stealth, you seem to be right, unintentionally :rofl:

look at the wood under the nut slot and go read the specs in the offer thread (hint 'sposed to be a maple neck)

P1000302.JPG

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Have you contacted Bernie about this? I know you never told me about any of these issues anyways, as your dealer. Bernie just texted me asking for your number so he could help you with this, can you give him a buzz or something? Regardless, sorry if you're unhappy about the frets or whatnot. I hope Bern can help somehow.

I'll also have to disagree about the issue of this guitar having anything to do with the low price we offered for our special run. I have followed up with a lot of people who got some of the other 7 and 8-strings from this run and they're all pretty stoked with it. However if there is an issue with this one, I'm sure if you contact Bernie he will help :)

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Notice the matte vs shiny areas on the binding... note how the matte area is uneven... it's as if the binding was scraped

As far as "scraping" goes I know with doing a matte finish on the neck it's gone over with using steel wool... However if you're talking about how it's shiny and then the top half is flat as I see here..that's because the part on the neck is painted and the flat looking part is just ebony... he does a "natural binding" for lack of better wording on the guitars because he hates showing the fret tang on the sides like Ibanez etc do... so obviously the wood isn't going to be glossed.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Have you contacted Bernie about this? I know you never told me about any of these issues anyways, as your dealer. Bernie just texted me asking for your number so he could help you with this, can you give him a buzz or something? Regardless, sorry if you're unhappy about the frets or whatnot. I hope Bern can help somehow.

Nick, I'm not unhappy. I liked this guitar well enough to pony up a deposit for another BRj - that should be strong evidence to support this.

While the frets are flat, they are evenly flat and well polished. I willing to accept the fretwork is a stylistic difference.

I was 100% wrong about the nut.

I'll ping Bernie at the email address MTech just pm'd, only to make progress on transferring responsibility for my BF run guitar to a new owner.

I expect nothing from Bernie on this guitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')