New Build - Heretic Paradigm 6

• Thread starter HaMMerHeD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
I started working on profiling the neck tonight.

077_neck_work_1.jpg

Then it got dark (and cold) and I had to stop about halfway through. It's coming along well. You can see by the maple that it's a bit lumpy around the middle bits, so I'll get all that trued up tomorrow. I don't generally want it to be arrow straight. I prefer a more parabolic shape.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
It's cold and rainy today, and so since my neck carving buck necessarily protrudes out my garage door, I didn't proceed with the neck today.

Instead, I worked on the body.

My primary material-removing tool is this big 17" farrier's rasp:
078_body_shaping.jpg

The coarse side (shown above) removes material faster than anything else I've tried, including that damned Shinto rasp. The other side produces a much nicer surface, but still needs some work.

Once I get it in the rough shape I want, I switch to my StewMac dragon rasps.

079_body_shaping_2.jpg

They produce a pretty good finish, but not really sanding/scraping ready. After the dragon rasp, I switch to a bastard file, which is ready for finessing with sanding and scraping.

But that's for another day. I'm tired.

So here is how it sits today:
080_body_shaping_3.jpg

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
Killer, I'm a huge fan of bevels all the way around. Looking great.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
It's cold and rainy today, and so since my neck carving buck necessarily protrudes out my garage door, I didn't proceed with the neck today.

Instead, I worked on the body.

My primary material-removing tool is this big 17" farrier's rasp:
View attachment 66962

The coarse side (shown above) removes material faster than anything else I've tried, including that damned Shinto rasp. The other side produces a much nicer surface, but still needs some work.

Once I get it in the rough shape I want, I switch to my StewMac dragon rasps.

View attachment 66963

They produce a pretty good finish, but not really sanding/scraping ready. After the dragon rasp, I switch to a bastard file, which is ready for finessing with sanding and scraping.

But that's for another day. I'm tired.

So here is how it sits today:
View attachment 66964

I love how the grain runs opposite on the left and right. Sort of a radial symmetry type of thing. Very cool.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Thanks. It was definitely a deliberate choice. With ash, I prefer those sinusoidal grain lines over the more common M or W orientation.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
So I became worried about the structural integrity of my control cavity.

082_cavity_kerfing_1.jpg

The top over the cavity is about 5mm thick, and the edges are heavily beveled. So I worried that there wasn't much meat in the corners, so I took a cue from acoustic guitar builders and made some kerfing.

https://www.lmii.com/116-kerfing

Kerfing is used inside acoustic guitars to provide extra gluing surface area--and therefore some strength--at the edges where the top and back glue onto the sides.

So I made some out of some swamp ash cutoffs:

083_cavity_kerfing_2.jpg

And I'm gluing it in.

084_cavity_kerfing_3.jpg

It won't go all the way around, and I'm ignoring the areas with the screw 'pillars'. But I hope this will help encourage it to be strong.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
And that's done.

View attachment 67077

Tomorrow I hope to finish profiling the body and radius/fret the fretboard.

Dang, man. You just solved for an issue I'm having with a build. It has a wenge top and when I was routing the control cavity I accidentally went too close to the top, now there's an area about 1/32" thick and I was puzzling over how to address it. Combined with my original idea, this will be a perfect solution.

Much respect. :yesway:

Reaction score
Just read through this thread - wow, really looking forward to seeing this one once it's complete. That upper horn looks super mean by the way :eddie: