New Burzum record officially due next year

• Thread starter GRUNTKOR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Wow, new Burzum, just in time for this.....

If Varg Vikernes was a hardcore Islamic extremist who celebrated when the twin towers were destroyed and worshipped Bin Laden etc would you still be a fan of his music?

David Vincent is racist, yet I still liked Morbid Angel.
King Diamond is a satanist, yet I still liked Mercyful Fate/King Diamond

Sometimes these separations are necessary if a piece of music really moves you.

At least now we live in times when you can listen to music you love without financially supporting the artist and thus his belief system indirectly.

Back in the days of cassettes, this was not the case.

GRUNTKOR

- GRANKOR
Reaction score
To all the Burzum/Varg fans, if Varg Vikernes was a hardcore Islamic extremist who celebrated when the twin towers were destroyed and worshipped Bin Laden etc would you still be a fan of his music?

Last time I checked crazy muslims don't make black metal
cop.gif

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
To all the Burzum/Varg fans, if Varg Vikernes was a hardcore Islamic extremist who celebrated when the twin towers were destroyed and worshipped Bin Laden etc would you still be a fan of his music?

Are you fucking serious?

:noway:

What the fuck does that have to do with ANYTHING?

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
Last time I checked crazy muslims don't make black metal
cop.gif

Believe it or not i remember there was some Jihad Black Metal (i dont remember who played in it), but i think it had one of the members from dodheimsgard

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Already have Meads of Asphodel. Thought it was something else :lol:

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Are you fucking serious?

:noway:

What the fuck does that have to do with ANYTHING?

What the poster is trying to do - I suspect - is point out that if an artist holds a particular set of beliefs that you did not agree with and may even morally object to, would you buy their records?

That is what the whole discussion is about. Varg is a rascist, homophobic murderer and not a nice person. He promotes hate and the extermination of other people based on skin colour and life choices, I think he's despicable. Some people, including me, find the fact that people buy his records and support his music objectional, in much the same way that a vast number of people would find the support of an artist who celebrates terrorism and murder objectional.

Demiurge

Reaction score
That is what the whole discussion is about. Varg is a rascist, homophobic murderer and not a nice person. He promotes hate and the extermination of other people based on skin colour and life choices, I think he's despicable.

I can definitely see what you mean, but I think there's some value to the counter-argument here. Where do you draw the line?

If I went through my record collection and wanted to weed out all of the albums by artists who have done, believed in, or expressed something in their music that I didn't agree with- I might as well throw the whole thing in the garbage. In some ways, you've got to compartmentalize. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to buy someone's music from someone because you think they're a terrible human being, but you'll drive yourself nuts trying to make sure your record collection is "socially responsible."

I'm not defending Varg in any way and wouldn't buy a Burzum record, but it's more about a lack of interest. Black metal has changed so much, and he's kind of a dinosaur in that respect. His relevance (hence this thread) is really just the curiosity-factor, since he's a casualty of a scene that just took itself too goddamned seriously.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
What the poster is trying to do - I suspect - is point out that if an artist holds a particular set of beliefs that you did not agree with and may even morally object to, would you buy their records?

Yes. I got into black metal after all that shit went down in Norway, so yes, I have bought Burzum records, and I've bought Emperor records (Bard Faust murdered a homosexual man) and I think that what he's trying to do is somehow imply that we share their ideals just because we buy a cd, which I find offensive. To bring up an earlier example, does he hate Jewish people just because he's watched Mad Max? Ever watch a Charleton Heston movie? How do you feel about guns?

Like you say, where do you draw the line? It's a dumb argument, and offensive. You can play the what if game all day. What if his favorite actor raped and murdered a nun? What if his favorite band molested a kid? What if? What the hell does any of that have to do with anything? :lol:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the record, there is (was?) a Muslim black metal band from France called IMMORTAL AYATOLLAH that had a song called "Goerge Bush Is A Transsexual Robot" but I forget the album name. Boring Anaal Nathrakh-esque hyperblast stuff.

As for new Burzum, I couldn't care less. Darkthrone kicks the shit out of Burzum musically and their brand of half-arsed idealogue is at least self-aware.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
RE: Demiurge and JJ Rodriguez.

I undestand exactly what you are saying because I go though similar thoughts myself. I have the Thorns record and that's VERY close to the Varg thing and it's something I have difficulty with.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm arguing against Demiurge :lol:

What's wrong with Thorns? Snorre only drove Varg to Euronymous's place, he didn't really do anything. As far as I'm aware, there's no one in Thorns that really did anything. I don't have difficulty listening to Burzum, or anything. I'm saying I don't give a fuck :lol:

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
I'm gonna download this album illegally, take that you racist fuck! :agreed:

(Mods, I'm not actually gonna download the album, I don't like Vargs music.)

GRUNTKOR

- GRANKOR
Reaction score
I wonder how many musicians you guys like who aren't as outspoken with their views you wouldn't listen to if you knew what they really thought?

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Just an update... The new Burzum will be out March 8, 2010 according to Varg's website.

AChRush1349

Causal Anomalie
Reaction score
Emperor>90% of other blackmetal bands. Musically, creatively, lyrically, technically, atmospherically...just my two cents.

')