New Cab - Harley Benton G212 Vintage Vertical

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
I posted some pictures in the rig thread but I figured I'd make a little review also.

I just joined my first band (yay!) and I've been hunting for a new cab to replace my 1x12 EVH cab. I saw this mint Harley Benton Vertical 2x12 for $150 off of Craigslist and snagged it immediately from a local metal dude.

Here's some pics, then thoughts.

PXL_20210707_040038916.jpg
PXL_20210708_022521102.jpgPXL_20210708_021814399~2.jpg

So this thing is awesome. I swapped out the upper V30 for the G12h-75 I had in my 1x12 to fill out the sound a bit. The mesh on the front of the cab is attached with velcro and has a pull tab for quick removal. The speakers are wired with quick connectors so removal replacement of the speaker did not require soldering. That was a nice surprise.

I removed the badges as well.

My other guitarist actually has the same cab paired with an MT-15 and our rigs sound REALLY good together. No issues with volume or sound projection whatsoever at rehearsal.

The tolex is crap and scuffs easily. Not sure how it compares to other cabs since I'm new to this. But my drummer has an OS Mesa 4x12 and another 4x12 in his space and we'll definitely compare them.

Overall I really like this cab, it suits my needs perfectly and it was cheap as fuck. I haven't had the opportunity to mic it yet but if anyone is interested I can record some stuff.

I'd be happy to answer any questions btw.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
Since amp has midi is there any benefit switching channels/fx with footswitch rather than using stomp?

Let us know how cab compares with mesa.

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
Since amp has midi is there any benefit switching channels/fx with footswitch rather than using stomp?

Haven't learned how to use Midi with the amp yet, I do plan on buying a cable and experimenting with some presets/snapshots for the 3 main tones I like. I'd be stoked to remove the footswitch from the occasion.

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score

Let us know how cab compares with mesa.
So quick update:

Thanks for mentioning midi control for the head. I got it set up and it's an absolute game changer! I removed the entire evh footswitch from my board.

Also, I ran the Mesa Cab tonight while my other guitarist used his hb 2x12. The Mesa sounded exceptional (big sexy), except it had way too much low end. Like, it was boomy as fuck and I don't have much low end in my tone. It overpowered the HB cab, but in a way that was annoying, not impressive. Still that meaa cab is amazing. But the HB cab literally cost me 1/9th the new price of a Mesa cab so I'm more than happy with it haha.

Here's a picture for funzies.

PXL_20210821_001525953_compress81.jpg

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
I just love midi :) and I'm glad it is working out for you :)
I see you also have 6505+ so I have a question. I also have 6505+ and would also like to buy evh 5150 50w. If you compare thia heads in band scenario....do you find that 6505+ has way better in thicker tone because it has 120W versus the 50W in evh head? I'm not refering to volume or headroome. I just worry that 50w head would sound somewhat thin compared to full blown 120W head :).

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
I just love midi :) and I'm glad it is working out for you :)
I see you also have 6505+ so I have a question. I also have 6505+ and would also like to buy evh 5150 50w. If you compare thia heads in band scenario....do you find that 6505+ has way better in thicker tone because it has 120W versus the 50W in evh head? I'm not refering to volume or headroome. I just worry that 50w head would sound somewhat thin compared to full blown 120W head :).
Ah that I can't help you with. The 6505+ belongs to a guitarist in my drummers other band. Haven't met him or had the opportunity to play the amp.

lewis

Reaction score
I just took delivery of the standard 2x12 version. Holy smokes what a great sounding cab it is.

Thoroughly impressed.

lewis

Reaction score
Anyone tried one of the Eminence DV77 speakers with V30s?
Was tempted to longer term swap in one of them in my HB 2x12 with a V30

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Anyone tried one of the Eminence DV77 speakers with V30s?
Was tempted to longer term swap in one of them in my HB 2x12 with a V30
I haven't had good luck mixing any Eminence speaker with Celestion. It always results in a weird midrange from my experience.