New Carvin Amp

• Thread starter LordOVchaoS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just when I thought I had found amp nirvana and would never GAS over an amp again... :wallbash:

V31.jpg

V3 - 100W 3 Channel All Tube Amp
The V3’s 100% tube signal path delivers pure tone from warm to shimmering to infinite sustain and crunch. Three channels offer expanded tone circuits and overdrives for everything from Blues to Metal. Channels 1 and 2 are identical overdrive channels. However since each offers 3 different Drive settings and EQX Expanded Tone Circuits, you'll be able to dial in numerous variations on each channel. The 3rd channel is the clean channel, but with its own Drive control and 3 position switch, you'll be able to use this as an additional distortion channel as well. The Volume Boost is ideal for leads and solos, kick it in when you need to cut through. Two Smart Loops offer assignable effects to your channels. Simply select your channel and select your Smart Loop. The assignment is saved and recalled when you play through that channel. MIDI offers storage of channel switching, Volume Boost On/Off and Smart Loop On/Off. Built like a tank, the V3’s ruggedness keeps you playing night after night.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
the features on it are awesome. i read about it a few weeks ago in the new carvin catalog.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I was fairly underwhelmed by the sound clips on their web site a while ago, but you can only tell so much from a poorly recorded amp drowning in effects, so I'll withold judgement until I hear one of these in person...

Nice thing is, I can't immediately think of an amp they're trying to imitate, either with the features, layout, or tone. That's rare.

-D

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Judging by the aesthetics, it looks like they're aiming for the Rectifier crowd, but there are a lot of really thoughtful features in this amp, from big things such as built-in MIDI control down to little things like the "tail" switching on the effects loops.

I thought it was odd that the specs mention that you can switch the bias to accommodate EL-34, 5881 or 6L6 power tubes, but it doesn't say which kind of power tubes come installed from the factory.

Some of you guys in the USA should do the 30-day trial and see how they sound/perform in real life.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
darren said:
Some of you guys in the USA should do the 30-day trial and see how they sound/perform in real life.

I'd love to but after just buying a UV I don't believe I can swing the initial $900.

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
It might be reared at the JSX/XXX/Recto...as the setups are very similar. However, this one seems to have a 'bang for the buck' specs...sucks that you can't just walk into a 'carvin dealer' store and check one out. Tempting as i, too, was looking at that in the carvin magazine...but my XXX and classic 50 are still finding new settings everyday that i love.

tongueofcolicab

kali is the sweethog
Reaction score
eerrghh. i wish they just played guitar to amp. it would really show how the amp plays. damn. i dont think they sell this anywhere close here.

and you know how it says direct order for $900? does mean if you order from the site? or do you have to have some membership or something?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
darren said:
Judging by the aesthetics, it looks like they're aiming for the Rectifier crowd, but there are a lot of really thoughtful features in this amp, from big things such as built-in MIDI control down to little things like the "tail" switching on the effects loops.

You know, listening to the sound clips, initially I disagreed with you, Darren, and thught it had the modded Marshall Engl/Legacy thing going, but after watching the video, it sounds a lot more recto-y, and the three way switches on the channels are definitely Mesa-inspired.

It never quite approximates the sheer darkness and edge of the Recto red channel, but it's like an orange channel on steroids.... Not bad.

-D

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
In the video, it was mentioned that it comes stock with EL-34s. I'm sure if you swapped out the power tubes for 6L6es, you'd get that darker Recto tone.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Quite possibly.

I just noticed they look rather like EL's in the picture, too. ;)

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been following this whole thing over at the Carvin discussion boards. At first I was just along for the ride seeing as how I'm a pretty happy monkey with my Triaxis rig. The more I hear about it and the more clips, videos, and reviews I hear about it the more tempting it's getting.

I started off way, way back using Carvin amps. My very first tube half stack was the old Carvin 100xb in the early 90's. I owned that thing for a decade before I finally sold for lack of use. It was a killer amp but was a hot rod Marshall type design and I eventually needed more gain that it could do without a pedal jammed in front of it.

I'm not exactly ready to dump my Triaxis rig but there is a whole lot to like about the V3.

Latest posts

')