New Carvin dc727 Problem

• Thread starter CarrotStickles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this.

Alright so I got my first ever seven string and my first ever high quality guitar (I'll be posting a NGD thread after I get this problem sorted out). Well out of the box there was a little fret buzz, but I just thought that since the stock strings they ship with were so small that that was probably just the problem. Well I put on some new strings (10-67) and That fret buzz is still there and VERY noticeable. It's really only affecting the top 4 strings, as in the B E A and D strings. I did have it drop tuned a half-step down but I figured that with the higher gauge strings that shouldn't be a problem.

I figure that the truss rod probably just needs some adjusting but I figured I would ask you "guitar geniuses" over here first cause you would probably know. I really want to play the damn guitar but with that fret buzz it really just ruins the experience for me. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the guitar's sake, take it to a professional to get it setup. There are literally thousands of tutorials online if you're willing to take the time and invest in some basic tools to do a proper setup. Your call.

Reaction score
For the guitar's sake, take it to a professional to get it setup. There are literally thousands of tutorials online if you're willing to take the time and invest in some basic tools to do a proper setup. Your call.

Well I just wanted to see what you guys thought about the whole thing cause if it's as simple as a truss-rod adjustment I'll just do that myself.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I just wanted to see what you guys thought about the whole thing cause if it's as simple as a truss-rod adjustment I'll just do that myself.

There are tons of factors at play, simple saying that you're running into some buzz is far from what's necessary to diagnose any possible issue. I, and/or others, can spend all night asking questions, requesting pictures, and we'd still not be able to 100% help you out.

As a former professional guitar tech, I can't stress how vital actually having the instrument at hand is, as well as using the right tools to evaluate.

Guitars buzz for all kinds of reasons.

sear

Reaction score
I think Carvin QC has not been so good over the last couple months, especially if you ordered during the holiday. As much as I love my DC700, it has a couple of high frets and will not play without buzz no matter how I set it up (unless the action is stupidly high). I have seen a number of complaints on their forums too about obvious errors that really should never have got out of the factory. I'd send it back, but then I'd be out a guitar for 2 months and I sure as hell am not doing that, so I'll do fretwork myself or have a local shop do it.

That said, always rule out setup before assuming it's a flaw with the instrument. I don't actually recommend taking it to a "professional" guitar tech unless he/she is very reputable, if only because they tend to a) rip you off and b) do a shitty, rushed job and get sub-ideal results. Rather, I suggest you learn how to set up your guitar yourself; there are a million guides online.

For reference specs and measurements, I would refer to the Ibanez manuals as you should have no trouble getting them working on a Carvin - just be sure you have the right tools for the job, like feeler gauges and rulers.

potatohead

Reaction score
At least take it somewhere to have the nut slotted properly. You spend four digits on the guitar and then don't spend $50 on things like this, it makes no sense. I've always sent Carvin strings I want to use so they can slot it properly there. You will need a truss adjustment changing gauge that much, as well as re-setting the action and intonation.

')