New Charvel Pro Stock

• Thread starter Knyas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
FULL DISCLOSURE: I *was* one of the biggest Charvel ball-swingers that ever lived. Was.

aawshred

Reaction score
I love them! Dunno why so many people aren't digging the desolations and pro stocks, i love hotrodded strats as much as anybody but I like the new stuff a ton. I have a desolation and one of the first run So-cals, and they're both incredible. Hopefully going to get the goldtop Pro stock, i think its quirky and awesome haha.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
:[ nothx
I'm not so happy with the direction they're heading. I'm sure they're good guitars, I just can't get past the look.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
huh, that is interesting and kinda cool. not many 24 fret les pauls out there at 25.5 inch scale necks.

"Model Name: Pro Stock DS1
Model Number: 2932011504
Series: Pro Stock
Body

Body: Mahogany
Neck

Neck Shape: Charvel® Fast
Number of Frets: 24
Fret Size: Jumbo
Position Inlays: Keystone Standard
Fretboard Radius: 12” to 16” Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
Neck Material: Mahogany
Neck Finish: Oiled Natural
Nut Width: 1.650” (42 mm)
Scale Length: 25.5" (64.8 cm)
Fingerboard and Color Options

Part Number: 2932011504, 2932011515, 2932011571, 2932011585, 2932011589
Color: (504) Black Metallic
(515) Cherry Sunburst
(571) Gold Metallic
(585) Metallic Blue
(589) Metallic Red
Fretboard: Rosewood
Electronics

Pickup Configuration: H/H
Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 Zebra Humbucking Pickup
Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan® '59™ SH1N Zebra Humbucking Neck Pickup
Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Up: Neck Pickup, Middle: Bridge and Neck Pickups, Down: Bridge Pickup
Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
Hardware

Hardware: Satin Chrome
Bridge: Charvel® Fully Adjustable Radius-Compensated Bridge with Anchored-Tailpiece
String Nut: Plastic
Miscellaneous

Unique Features: Carved Top, Contoured Single-Cutaway Body, Mahogany Neck-Through-Body with Contoured Heel, Alumiloid "Keystone" Position Inlays (White Pearloid on (515) Cherry Sunburst), Body, Neck and Headstock Binding, Matching Headstock, Modern Lightweight Design, Black Plastic Parts, 3-Over/3-Under Tuning Machine Array"

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
ESP/LTD has plenty 25.5"/24 fretters.

These to me seems like nothing more than LTD Deluxe series, Schecter, and Dean. That market is SATURATED. Hot-rodded strats on the other hand...you have Fender. Nobody seems to bother carrying much Jackson any more, and Ibanez is a different animal.

YMMV.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Dear Charvel,

Your single cuts look strange. Now release a real Surfcaster reissue and gives us back Wild Card, So-Cal, and San Dimas series and stop trying to be LTD and Schecter.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Their single-cut shape is butt-ugly and always will be. And that fret access looks hateful. It would drive me fucking nuts, fucking quickly.

Here is what I would say to the high-ups at Charvel if I could:

Guys, PLEASE stop trying to be LTD or Schecter. You are Charvel. You have pedigree, history. Make the fucking most of it, and stop catering to the "EMG, trans-red flame top and shitty binding" brigade. Or metal guitar autopilot, as it comes across now. It's just boring, and everyone and his dog makes a mid-priced guitar that's the same. And the Desolations are a less attractive prospect than the LTD Deluxes, honestly.

PLEASE focus on the superstrats that made you famous - if you're desperate to tempt people away from LTD Horizons then why not make a 750XL reissue (resist the temptation to put shitty binding on it), in a variety of attractive trans and solid colours (NOT trans black or placenta red), with Floyd and fixed bridge options. That would be amazing, and you'd probably sell shitloads too.

And for the love of Christ, reissue the Surfcaster. You'd probably sell shitloads of those as well.

Go back towards your roots and make cool stuff again, basically.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Well, if we never get a Surfcaster reissue, theres always these guitars.

GRB Guitars Home

And don't tell me to get a Skatecaster. I want a semi-hollow Surfcaster with lipstick pickups for fuck sake. :squint:

Also, JESUS CHRIST that upper fret access looks TERRIBLE on the Singlecut.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
I'm okay with the single-cuts, but I certainly wouldn't buy one.

I would absolutely love a Pro Stock one of these though:

2931430596_frt_wlg_001.png

jl-austin

Reaction score
I don't understand this at all. When I think of Charvel, Les Paul copies is not what comes to mind. I just don't understand the logic.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm okay with the single-cuts, but I certainly wouldn't buy one.

I would absolutely love a Pro Stock one of these though:

2931430596_frt_wlg_001.png

+1. I would love more Stars, too. At least they got a few things right with the desolation series. :lol:

sell2792

Reaction score
What is this shit? They need to go back to their roots, and by that I mean they need to make Model 3, 4, 5, and 6's, and really just more super Strats.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
I like the "gold top" single cut but I would swap the pickups.

I have played a DS-1 and a few DS-2 guitars in store and they were nice, they were very nicely positioned when playing seated and they played nice too. Felt better to me than the LTD single cuts I have tied and the Ibanez ARZs.

Are they Charvels? Not in the sense of "original" Charvels, but at least Fender are doing something with the brand now and I would rather have a "different" Charvel than no Charvel.

Are they doing the "right" thing? Probably not for the purests.

Should they re-release a REAL Surfcaster? Abso-fracking-lutely!

')