New Custom 6'er in the Works! (Redwood/Limba whhaaaaaaa)

• Thread starter Watty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
So, it turns out...

A) There IS rest for the wicked.
B) It happens on Thursdays.

That said, here's some more pics from the process earlier this week. Figure the guy deserves at least one day off, right?

Pointy!
DSC01296_zps36e18a7c.jpg

Chess!
DSC01293_zps5578a144.jpg

DAT Ripple!
DSC01310_zpsb0ba9f3c.jpg

And finally, some stain testing. The final color is going to be a slight bit darker than where this one is now. He's testing it on a "scrap" body with a redwood top, so it should give a good approximation while allowing him to test how the wood tends to react to taking on the stain. Ultimately shooting for a color not unlike the deep caramel on Nolly's B2. Thinking it'll play REALLY nice with all the other wood tones going on. I might have to see if he'll stain it black and then sand it back to get an even bigger contrast in the waves. My top should look even better with that process, given that the curls run the entire width of the body and are literally huge in comparison to how large they'd normally be on an instrument. We'll have to see how that bit plays out once he's got it all carved up.

DSC01305_zpsae8fcf67.jpg

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Tyler just informed me that this is getting bound up today and tomorrow. No pics until he's done though. He scored a free piece of ebony from a local store that's just about long enough to bind the entire body with one continuous strip....here's hoping that is the case as it would mean everything on the body is "one piece!"

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
He's binding with ebony?!?! man that kid has some ....ing balls! If anyone can do it, I know he can.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
right on man! This thing is going to be epic

No two shits about it man!

He's binding with ebony?!?! man that kid has some ....ing balls! If anyone can do it, I know he can.

Funny you should mention that. I actually brought up either ebony or black ABS when spec'ing it out and he said he actually preferred to use ebony, despite the fact that it would be a lot more work. Should have pictures Sunday!

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Teaser:

IMG_9582_zps6b5afa26.jpg

\Edit: Not glued yet.

\Edit2: Binding strip wasn't quite long enough to safely do the tips of the horns as well. Close enough as far as I'm concerned...:lol:

Last edited:

SammerX

Reaction score
This thing is going to be stunning. Can't wait to see the carve and finish work.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
More progress:

Cavity routed; notice how perfectly the space for the pickups wires is placed. He actually cut this before even rough cutting the body outline.
DSC01321_zps1c424e71.jpg

Matching cavity cover in place. Pretty damn amazing how close he was able to get with the grain.
DSC01324_zps5613377c.jpg

More stain testing. He gave me the extremes of the browns he's able to get on this test body and I've decided to go with something in the middle of the two. Should end up having some really nice dark areas around the curls while still maintaining a rich brown everywhere else to contrast with the ebony.

IMG_8921_zps3a2e652f.jpg

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
since watty is being lazy....

edit: for those that don't know, ebony is VERYYYYY difficult to bend and bind with. It cracks very easily, and doesn't take glue well. On top of that, note the extra binding around the ebony. Thats more redwood, and his method for doing this was absolutely ingenious.

DSC01339_zpsca2283c7.jpg

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
since watty is being lazy....

edit: for those that don't know, ebony is VERYYYYY difficult to bend and bind with. It cracks very easily, and doesn't take glue well. On top of that, note the extra binding around the ebony. Thats more redwood, and his method for doing this was absolutely ingenious.

A) I'm not lazy. My connection at work is sufficiently horrible that posting while there is silly. *tongue out*

B) For those that don't know....Tyler told me that the ebony was actually sharpie at first. :lol: .............:fawk:

C) Yep, his method of getting the outside redwood binding (in one piece) was pretty ingenious.

D) That's actually the second headstock overlay he's made for my build. He made another to ensure that there weren't any issues with binding.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
AAAAANNNNNNNDDDDDD More:

The reason for binding before carving it to get a perfect seam right from the get go and not have to worry as much about chipping as he carves what he doesn't need away with the top. Should have glued pics tomorrow, along with the finished binding around the top of each of the horns.

DSC01332_zps7d5a440f.jpg

DSC01333_zpsb6b1e487.jpg

DSC01335_zps49e0f15c.jpg

DSC01340_zpsd0785d72.jpg

Last edited:

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Thanks guys, he should be getting into the neck pocket and pickup cavities today....and then it's on to carving!

')