New Custom 6'er in the Works! (Redwood/Limba whhaaaaaaa)

• Thread starter Watty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
That makes sense, how about the cavity in the neck itself for the inlay? It seems like such a tight fit. I suppose it's probably a pretty rudimentary process, but I've never seen it done, so sorry for the ignorance!

Somehow he used a router. Not sure of the bit and whatnot, but we had to play with the location given the proximity to the volute.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JDinSC

Reaction score
Jesus.... Just dropped in and read the whole thread... Killer build, killer color... Killer everything!

Suitable

Reaction score
That bird is F.CKING cool! Just awesome how it has "mini" curl going on when the body has a much much larger curl, very nice attention to detail :yesway:

Do you know where he or you got that large ebony binding from for the body? I want some (or Macassar would be better for me) for my build Im doing now. It ties everything into the fretboard nicely :yesway:

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Yep, the curly bird was a nice touch. And he got the ebony from his local wood supplier for free. Turns out it had some defects that prevented it from being used for fretboards...

Suitable

Reaction score
Hmmm... Might have to buy another blank and chop it up :( I dont even like saying that though... there must be a better option... Ill keep hunting, cheers for the info :yesway:

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
So Tyler just let me know that the odds are good that we'll have this wrapped and ready to ship in the next two weeks or so. Might be a video in the works with another forumite before it ships so you don't have to wait until the NGD thread to see it up close...

tyler_faith_08

Strings of Chaos
Reaction score
IMG_5057_zpsdfe25994.jpg

Made me think of this:

13-capture_26042010_214821.png

Incredible guitar. This is beautiful.

rifft

Reaction score
That neck binding just brings this guitar to a whole new level! It looks amazing!

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
So, there aren't any more pictures, but Tyler did tell me that we're done with the finish testing. Apparently, his dad's been involved in the automotive industry for a few decades and therefore knows a thing or two about finishing cars. Being that Tyler didn't want to be at the mercy of another finisher's schedule for his builds, he had his dad give it a go on a test body that you saw earlier for the stain pictures.

Turned out really well and he should be finishing mine up within the week. We're going with a high gloss on the top and the binding (including the interior parts of the carves on either side of the neck pocket) and a matte nitro everywhere else.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Here's where we're at after the first coat was sprayed. Crazy how deep the grain on the redwood is; even completely sanded down, there's enough of a residual difference to make the wood's characteristics stand up to the finishing. More to follow:

IMG_0866_zps81322be1.jpg

')