New Custom Dingwall day - Afterburner 6 w/wenge neck and eyeball-frying finish

• Thread starter -Nolly-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks killer man :yesway: that F# looks huge and awesome :lol:

Is this gonna be for the 8 string stuff? And does that mean there's gonna be more 8 string stuff? :)

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Cheers guys! Yes there will definitely be a playthrough video soon :)

Wow, amazing instrument! I can imagine how awesome it sounds considering how good you make the Combustion model sing. I'm curious, did you move up to a six string so you don't have to tune in fifths (that is how you tuned the 5 stringers, right?) or are you just pushing the high range further?

Thanks man, I don't tune my Combustions in 5ths though. I wanted a 6-string set up this way in order to be able to double the stuff the guitarists in my band do with their 8-strings tuned to F# standard. There was one 8-string song on the last album and that made full use of all 6-strings of the Warwick Thumb we used so I needed a 6 of my own in order to be able to pull it off live. Looks like we'll be using a lot more of this tuning in the future so it was worth getting an instrument like this ;)

Isaiah

Reaction score
This looks amazing.

Ive got a combustion 5, the guitarists in my band use 8's. The low end i needed to reach was so hard to get to sound good, I just took a bit of inspiration from Dick in Meshuggah and play in the same octave when they drop to the lowest string, which is an E.

Thats not to say i wouldn't have a abz6 if i could afford it, and could afford to keep restringing it with the ridiculously high gauge Circle K sets i would need to have the strings nice and tight.

Definitely a nice investment, fanned frets is the way forward in extended range bass.

russtolium

Reaction score
Cheers guys! Yes there will definitely be a playthrough video soon :)

Thanks man, I don't tune my Combustions in 5ths though. I wanted a 6-string set up this way in order to be able to double the stuff the guitarists in my band do with their 8-strings tuned to F# standard. There was one 8-string song on the last album and that made full use of all 6-strings of the Warwick Thumb we used so I needed a 6 of my own in order to be able to pull it off live. Looks like we'll be using a lot more of this tuning in the future so it was worth getting an instrument like this ;)

Ohhh okay, I didn't look hard enough at the tuning info you posted for that notreble.com walkthrough of MTD, makes sense now. Can't wait to hear some more material from Juggernaut. :shred:

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Cheers guys, fully intending to do at least one video playthrough with this bass when I'm home :)

buddylee05

Reaction score
What is the electronic setup? Why did you choose to have three pickups and all generally located in the middle between the neck and the bridge?

TheEmptyCell

Dingwall Player
Reaction score
What is the electronic setup? Why did you choose to have three pickups and all generally located in the middle between the neck and the bridge?

Sheldon Dingwall decided the pickup/ electronics arrangement.

He's been quoted as stating that they just moved pickups around until they got the sound they wanted way back when they were prototyping instruments.

The bass has one volume, 3-band EQ, and a 4 position pickup selector that does solo bridge pickup, bridge + middle in series, bridge + neck in parallel, and neck solo (I think).

The switch is atypical of most bass guitars, which usually have seperate volumes for each pickup. I can attest that the 4 way switch on my ABZ5 (bridge, both pickups series, both parallel, neck) offers very easy, versatile switching.

Unlike guitars, a pickup right next to the bridge of a bass sounds like shit. Too close to the neck and it's woofy and muddy, which works for some guys. I could guarantee that these three pickups right between the neck and bridge sounds amazing.

aawshred

Reaction score
If this is anything like the 5 string yellow afterburner at NAMM, than I can only imagine how astonishing this.

I ordered a combustion a few days ago, Sheldon and Barry at Dingwall are some of the best guys out there.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Here's a DI clip to demonstrate the F#. The pickup setting is the bridge and middle coils in series for a fat, punchy tone. I recorded direct through my Audient MiCO preamp with some light compression. No further processing was done to the DI. All parts played with fingers.
The second half is me jamming on Karnivool's "Simple Boy", all credit to them for that.

https://soundcloud.com/nolly/nolly-dingwall-afterburner

')