New Cynic EP in November 2011!!!!!

ArrowHead

Reaction score
It's like 3 "wheels within wheels" songs, interspersed with world music.

You can actually stream the entire album at that link. It's worthwhile, I'm still glad to pick it up. It's not another re-traced, but it's not another Traced in Air either. I actually thing Elves Beam Out is the most "metal" song on there, but most would disagree with me. There's an underlying driving pulse that sticks out. There's also the closest thing to the original vocoder vocals.

Reactions: fps

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PTP

Reaction score
It sounds more like Portal than Aeon Spoke to me.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Sober, the album is good at best. However "on the other side" the album is controlling and mind altering good.

Yeah, thats the best way the put it :lol:
Really dig the EP, but I do miss the technical riffage. I just hope the next FULL LENGTH (hoping, 20 minutes is not enough) recalls a bit of vintage Cynic. Nothing wrong with new direction, just don't forget your roots man :agreed:

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Has anybody that preordered from Season of Mist received their CD yet? I got an email over a week ago that it would ship "soon" and that I'd get an email when it ships. I haven't heard from them since.

Mwoit

Reaction score
Yup, I got mine on Tuesday. Good EP, although I feel like future releases will be in similar vein to this. Cool, but not why I love Cynic in the first place.

Nonetheless, I'll still be watching them!

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
I LOVED this ep. Its fucking great. Now that being said, the 3 real songs on it sound like traced in air to me but a little lighter. Not like aeon spoke at all to me.
I hope they do pick up the agression when they put out a whole album, but these songs are great.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
It's a brilliant EP. The production is solid, and while the heavy vocals are gone I didn't miss them so much because the vocal melodies in this are so good. The short instrumentals are cool too, especially the opening track. They really build up a great atmosphere and lead into the other tracks well.

However, I paid an album price for what is essentially three full tracks, so it felt somewhat lacking. I mean it was worth it because it's a great EP, but it would have been cool to have some more complete songs. They need to hurry up and release a full-length.

Doug N

Reaction score
So, I'm new to Cynic - just bought the EP and it's interesting but not blowing me away. If I'm going to dig into their catalogue, what should I buy next?

anomynous

Reaction score
Traced in Air and Focus........aka their only other two albums. Re-traced is just ambient version of TIA

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
so i've never really listened to Cynic before (i know, i know), so take this opinion with a grain of salt. but, this new EP is fucking amazing. i'm really into it. time to go back, and see how it compares to their older material...

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Yup, I got mine on Tuesday.

I wonder what's holding up the US orders? Not only am I still waiting, but every US retailer I check is out of stock. Something is snafu'd.

This will be the last time I preorder, seems to completely defeat the purpose.

Into Obsidian

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
Reaction score
I wonder what's holding up the US orders? Not only am I still waiting, but every US retailer I check is out of stock. Something is snafu'd.

This will be the last time I preorder, seems to completely defeat the purpose.
Ive personally always had bad luck with pre-orders :noway:

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Just got a reply from the email I sent SOM last week about my pre-order. It seems like English isn't the first language there, so I might not be understanding it right, but what I got from it is that the US branch/distributor is waiting for their inventory to clear through customs.

Bummer, but at least I've got the streaming copy to listen to for now.

A question for any one who received theirs yet that ordered the VINYL and the CD - did you notice any difference in the mix between the two copies? Is the vinyl worth listening to, or should I just hang it on the wall as I planned? If it's a good LP mix with lots of tasty dynamics, I might go get ye olde phonograph out of storage.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Ive personally always had bad luck with pre-orders :noway:

This was my first time pre-ordering music. I've had bad luck with video game pre-orders, but figured things might be different here. I was wrong.

Whatever, it's not a biggie. I've got the stream to listen to. But I'm dying to dig into the digi-pak and see the artwork, as well as get a look at the blue vinyl I ordered.

Seems like the tour/release/distribution timing here was really off. Is there going to be another tour after the CD has been out for a bit? I'd like to see them once I know the material a lot better.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Okay, it's December. Still haven't received my pre-order. Got the email from the label saying it was stuck at customs. Meanwhile, the records store at my local mall HAS the album. I guess customs only hates people that already paid.

This will be my last venture with SOM, and likely my last Cynic purchase if they remain on the label.

Mwoit

Reaction score
Okay, it's December. Still haven't received my pre-order. Got the email from the label saying it was stuck at customs. Meanwhile, the records store at my local mall HAS the album. I guess customs only hates people that already paid.

This will be my last venture with SOM, and likely my last Cynic purchase if they remain on the label.

Shame man, I've had good service with them (ordered DEP - Option Paralysis previously and it came in good time and nick) before!

')