New Cynic EP in November 2011!!!!!

Demeyes

Reaction score
Cynic are just after starting a European tour. The stuff from the EP sounds great live! I was heading to the dublin show, the first night of the tour. The day before we got a call and my band got asked to play support since the french band pulled out! It was awesome to share the bill with bands like Chimp Spanner and Cynic!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, it's December. Still haven't received my pre-order. Got the email from the label saying it was stuck at customs. Meanwhile, the records store at my local mall HAS the album. I guess customs only hates people that already paid.

This will be my last venture with SOM, and likely my last Cynic purchase if they remain on the label.

Seems like your issue is with Customs and not SOM there. You can't blame the label for a problem with Customs.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry blaming the label and the band for something completely beyond their control is ridiculous :2c: Having dealt with international shipping a good bit it is a complete crapshoot how long it takes, and sometimes (like in this case) things can be tied up for no apparent reason known to anybody outside the US government. I've had stuff literally take 2 days to get to the US from Japan then sit in customs for weeks for no reason at all. I've had other stuff even from the same seller clear in a day.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
The label blamed customs. I don't.

According to my order tracking, my CD left France (I believe they shipped from Season of Mist HQ in Marseille) on November 8. I work in the import/export business and deal with US and foreign customs quite often. Their story is likely true. Honestly, if it's coming from France, there is a good chance that there was a strike by the airline workers or stevedores. Those wacky French strike at least once a month. :lol:

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Sorry blaming the label and the band for something completely beyond their control is ridiculous :2c:

I didn't blame the band.

I DO blame the label. How they've handled it, the amount of time taken, and the fact that retail orders were fulfilled while pre-orders were not? Sorry. Not sure how that's ridiculous, to be disappointed by this.

I buy a LOT of music on overseas labels. This is the first time I've seen a release date missed by almost an entire MONTH. And not once but twice the label emailed to say it should be here any moment, only for several weeks to pass afterward with no delivery?

Not sure why I'm ridiculous to be peeved at waiting a month extra for a pre-order. I guess you all have a different expectation of what a pre-order is for.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, so if we assume that the label are not lying to you then how can you blame them?

As technomancer says, international shipping is a total crap shoot and it is considerably more likely that the item is sitting in customs than it is that the label did not send it out on time. Why would they do that?

Às for the retail orders, because they were done in bulk volume and large numbers of CDs went from one business address to another business address, most likely with lots of forms attached and various stamps saying things like "duty paid", they sailed thourhg customs and nobody did more than glance at them. Your order is one single package that is coming from outside of the US into the US and someone at customs has went, "oh, I need to check that we got tax on this".

It is not ridiculous to be disappointed that you don't have your CD. It is unfair to blame the label though.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
^

Like I said, I work in the international shipping industry. These sorts of delays happen all the time. Customs will pull just about anything for examination, it depends which commodities they want to check that week.

That said, I am surprised that I had to contact Season of Mist, as opposed to them alerting me to the situation (a basic level of customer service I would expect from a reasonably large EMI subsidiary). Their overseas office told me that their US office handled the tracking, and that was it (couldn't even forward my email). So then I had to ask their US office, after about a week I got the reply about the customs issue.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah now that is more poor customer service than just being pissed off because it got held up in customs

anomynous

Reaction score
The thing I don't get is.....it says shipping is free on it (at least the vinyl) because it's being shipped from within the US. Are they shipping all of them to their US office then shipping them out from there?

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Yeah now that is more poor customer service than just being pissed off because it got held up in customs

That's what I'm saying. I even bolded "how they've handled it".

They didn't contact ANYONE until I contacted them. Then they emailed everyone that preordered. If you look at the above post, they shipped the product to their US offices 3 days before the release. Customs IS a crapshoot, they should have planned more time.

And I've contacted them a second time two weeks after the first one, and received no reply. I didn't even think to contact the US office like Gunshow did, so I've got absolutely no information.

People can say I'm just bitching. But if I put out an album, and my label couldn't get it into fans' hands in time for our US tour, that label wouldn't be working with me anymore. That's a big failure. ESPECIALLY when there's stock sitting in a record shop's bin while a paying fan is waiting for a copy. That's a big snafu.

This isn't about being held up in customs. It's about being told twice "it's held up. Sorry. You'll have it any minute." and having to chase THEM for any further info. They didn't plan ahead, and they've done nothing to react.

MikeyLHolm

Lightning Mike
Reaction score
Good shit = news about new album! Just ordered two T-Shirts from their store week ago. New EP rocks plenty aswell even with the more mellow style. Been listening Focus since 90s but somehow the change of style don't bum me at all, which is weird since i basicly coined the phrase "I like the old shit, but the new sucks"

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
I don't really like the direction their going in honestly. I still listen to them but I wish they were doing less of the clean vocals, even though they really make cynic what they are IMO he sounds gay.

')