New Cynic EP in November 2011!!!!!

Goatchrist

Reaction score
I don't really like the direction their going in honestly. I still listen to them but I wish they were doing less of the clean vocals, even though they really make cynic what they are IMO he sounds gay.

Well I would too appreciate it if they would go more in a traced in ait or focus direction. But if they do not I still highly enjoy their music. I would love if they would bring be ze Growl. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

codync

Reaction score
I don't really like the direction their going in honestly. I still listen to them but I wish they were doing less of the clean vocals, even though they really make cynic what they are IMO he sounds gay.

Well, that would make sense- Both Paul and Sean are homosexual.

I prefer the Focus and TiA sound, but whatever this band puts out, I'll listen to.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score

:scratch:

I haven't heard this about either of the Sean's. The rumor about Paul being gay was/is completely unsubstantiated. Paul has a wife and kids (yes, I am aware that numerous men with families participate in homosexual activity).

Last edited:

ArrowHead

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure where you put your penis doesn't effect vocal delivery. By "sounds gay" I think he was trying to reference Pauls flat and dry vocal delivery, which becomes VERY apparent on new tracks where he's dropped the harmonized vocals. He doesn't use vibrato, and most of his vocals are very soft and throaty.

It's not "gay", it's just not loud, passionate, and aggressive, which most metalheads expect these days.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
this stems from Sean's shirtless picture appearing on some gay dudes homepage back in the day.

From what I remember, it was some gay dude with a personal website, one of those shitty geocities type deals, listing all of the studs he talks to online and there was a picture of reinart on it with a little description.

paul was asked in an interview once and didn't really answer.

Rumors frequently pop up on message boards on the internet speculating about Sean Reinert and you (Paul) being gay. While this in itself is nothing noteworthy since every human being is free to be whichever he or she chooses to be. However, in the rock/metal world it still seems to be a stigma where people sometimes are surprised to hear that musician X publicly admits being gay while for insiders it was never a secret to begin with. Most recently, Gorgoroth’s frontman Gaahl admitted being gay in the German Rockhard magazine.
Now I know some people expect me to ask you about your sexual orientation but I leave that to you whether you want to answer that. Regardless of that issue though, it would be interesting to hear your point of view on this strange stigma that the metal music genre seems to have.

-Metal began as an overtly masculine, macho, armored male genre. Funny enough an artist like Rob Halford learned how to turn that around and use that (biker) masculinity in a deceptively homoerotic fashion. Now it’s blaringly obvious, but it went right over the metal scene’s heads back then. As the lines get further blurred and the genre expands with a more open-minded approach, we find the barriers that keep’s metal in the dark ages dissolving one day at a time. I only see fear when people are judging others. It’s all projection and inner confusion that leads to such ignorance.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Where'd you hear that? Jason Gobel has a wife and kids, it's why he won't rejoin Cynic. From every interview I've read Paul and Sean are both single.

Whoops, some überfast skimming. The article was Paul talking about Jason being at home with his wife and kids. I guess reading is fundamental. :lol:

Goatchrist

Reaction score
Well the rumor always existed... I think in some interviews even Chuck Shuldiner sounds very gay.. so the FATHERS OF DEATH METAL HAD PROBABLY HUGE GAY ORGIES IN THEIR TOURBUS... funny thought..

I actually don't care... well hmmm.. he is pretty hot.. let's say, I don't mind... ^^

If you like rumors and stupid conspiracies: Paul Masvidal.... gay? @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com Forum Archive

But actually it's non of our business.

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure where you put your penis doesn't effect vocal delivery. By "sounds gay" I think he was trying to reference Pauls flat and dry vocal delivery, which becomes VERY apparent on new tracks where he's dropped the harmonized vocals. He doesn't use vibrato, and most of his vocals are very soft and throaty.

It's not "gay", it's just not loud, passionate, and aggressive, which most metalheads expect these days.
I like his vocals on focus but not on the current albums as much. IMO the robot shit is what made them cynic and he sounds better with it. The growls on focus weren't that great though and I don't see why they don't get a real singer comparable to bands like suffocation or even the band they were in before (death)

ArrowHead

Reaction score
I like his vocals on focus but not on the current albums as much. IMO the robot shit is what made them cynic and he sounds better with it. The growls on focus weren't that great though and I don't see why they don't get a real singer comparable to bands like suffocation or even the band they were in before (death)

I never liked the growls, I always thought they were very weak and sounded like the noises I made at 5 years old when trying to make a voice for my he-man action figures.

But the robot vocals - I admit, I LOVE them. I also like the new EP in parts where the female singer and Paul sing the harmonies. I don't know exactly what that interval is, but it's become kind of a signature sound. I love the way it cuts through and sounds unlike any other band. Kind of like how when you hear an Iron Maiden harmonized riff, you immediately know it's Maiden.

Without the harmonies (and the aggressive elements) it just sounds jarringly different. Not better. Not worse. Just a different band making different music for different reasons.

It's the megadeth vs. metallica thing: Some metal musicians start angry and STAY angry and release the same kind of music all their careers. Others (like Metallica) grow, mature, and find it hard to re-visit their angry-at-the-world days as their career progresses, no matter how much fans demand it.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Well the rumor always existed... I think in some interviews even Chuck Shuldiner sounds very gay.. so the FATHERS OF DEATH METAL HAD PROBABLY HUGE GAY ORGIES IN THEIR TOURBUS... funny thought..

I actually don't care... well hmmm.. he is pretty hot.. let's say, I don't mind... ^^

If you like rumors and stupid conspiracies: Paul Masvidal.... gay? @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com Forum Archive

But actually it's non of our business.

...Also, at the idea of Chuck and Paul...Wow. That'd be like, Brokeback Crystal Mountain.

I loled

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
I never liked the growls, I always thought they were very weak and sounded like the noises I made at 5 years old when trying to make a voice for my he-man action figures.

+1 I wouldn't mind having good DM growls in their music, but the shit that's in there is pretty anemic.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
2 things to note cause this is basically "the megathread" now

new album in 2012

they say the ep that was put together in 6 weeks, is the perfect stepping stone to transition there sound from traced in air to the new album.

also them talking about doing acid and dancing for eachother was interesting

Omarfan

Reaction score
I like the new stuff a lot, but I do miss the vocals on Focus. That's probably the most disappointing thing about new Cynic. The music is spot-on but it's missing that piece of the puzzle that makes it all warm and Cynicy.

Goatchrist

Reaction score
I will buy anything these guys do, but growls like on Traced in Air and Focus would be even more awesome on the next album. I hope day ask Alex Phelbs, their touring guitarist to do some vocals. They didn't even have a growler for carbon based Anatomy..

Goatchrist

Reaction score
About the new album:

"Right now we're deep in [writing] the album," Masvidal said. "It'll probably come out towards the end of the year. I think that's the goal, to deliver it by the summer. So that's it right now; just make a killer album. I feel really great about it already; I think that we're in good shape." Regarding the musical direction of the new material, Paul said, "It's almost like, I don't know how to explain it, but if I had to put it in a box it's more sci-fi, futuristic and alien but at the same time very song-driven. It's kind of like, to me, coming into CYNIC's body more. It feels very modern and at the same time it just feels really cool. I'm big in the space. It's definitely new. It's not like anything we've done before. It's a new color, a new space. I think people will really take note of even the guitar stuff. I'm really shifting gears, I'm trying things in a different way and the way stuff is played. It's a new space for CYNIC, for sure. It definitely sounds like us, except completely new."

Changing gear? I hope you still use Steinberger, Pauk! :p ;)

I'm sooo excited, still a little hope for some growls. :D

Some moderator should make this thread the hyper thread!

Sikthness

Reaction score
well shit is it summer or end of the year? Thats a big difference in how long I have to wait for more Cynic. I really liked Carbon Based Anatomy. I miss some of their older sound for sure, and would like to see a nice mixture of old and CBA and of course some new direction.

')