New Cynic EP in November 2011!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mithologian

Reaction score
"nearly half of the EP consists of ambient folk/tribal music"
:scratch:

I don't see much wrong with that considering that (according to this review) some tracks are just there purely for transitional purposes. I haven't listened to it but im gonna take a guess that it helps build an ambient for the jungle imagery, which is part of the concept of the EP. I wish it was longer though. I feel that 22-mins isn't enough to travel from a jungle all the way to space.

Into Obsidian

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
Reaction score
I don't see much wrong with that considering that (according to this review) some tracks are just there purely for transitional purposes. I haven't listened to it but im gonna take a guess that it helps build an ambient for the jungle imagery, which is part of the concept of the EP. I wish it was longer though. I feel that 22-mins isn't enough to travel from a jungle all the way to space.
No Im just curious on how THIS will sound, very different from the last. I still support Cynic 100%:yesway:

mithologian

Reaction score
No Im just curious on how THIS will sound, very different from the last. I still support Cynic 100%:yesway:

Same. I hope in the upcoming tour they play the EP in its entirety. Id like to hear it live. If a south FL stop is announced, ill make sure to bring a loincloth to accompany the jungle feel. :cool:

bhakan

Reaction score
It's probably just set up like a Tool album, where in between almost every full song is a 1-2 minute ambient soundscape like track that transitions the songs, like parabol into parabola.

mithologian

Reaction score
It's probably just set up like a Tool album, where in between almost every full song is a 1-2 minute ambient soundscape like track that transitions the songs, like parabol into parabola.

If only it was as long. Way to tease us Paul. :noplease:

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Having talked to Jimmy (the guy who wrote that article for HBIH), he said it was a bit disappointing with very few actual songs and mostly spoken word and/or tribal ambient sounds.

mithologian

Reaction score
Having talked to Jimmy (the guy who wrote that article for HBIH), he said it was a bit disappointing with very few actual songs and mostly spoken word and/or tribal ambient sounds.

It still is 22 minutes of cynic material. Granted, I did wanted those 22 minutes to be epic full songs, im glad im going to listen to the EP knowing (in a sense) what to expect. If I where to take a listen without any previous knowledge about the structure of the record, Id be very disappointed as well. Goes to show how the mind can make you perceive things depending on what state of thought you take em in. :D

Psychological rant/

Stealth7

Reaction score
Sounds promising! IMO Cynic never disappoint so I'm looking forward to this! :hbang:

I wonder if there will be growls on this EP though.. :scratch:

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
unless they have found a better growler, it's probably best to keep them off the album.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
unless they have found a better growler, it's probably best to keep them off the album.

I think with a few weeks/months practice, anyone could be better than what was on Focus, including whoever it was (Tymon?)

It made me think the other day, if the vocal production and performance was really solid, as well as a modern metal mix overall, Focus would easily be my favourite album. One of few albums I know where production actually interferes with the musical genius in a negative way to such a degree.

This new EP sounds good, and so far, reviews seem glowing! :D

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely like the preview clip. I'm just really hoping a 22 minute EP is just to tie us over for a full length next year.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
That preview almost sounded Mars Volta-ish.
I loved it. I personally can't wait for the ethnic interludes.

')