New Cynic EP in November 2011!!!!!

ArrowHead

Reaction score
I think I figured out a concise way to explain it:

The music of cynic has the ability to lead a listener from ANGER to a feeling of ENLIGHTENMENT. It's a transcendent experience.

Some of the newer material feels like it is skipping the anger, and going right to the enlightened and spiritual. And because of that, it goes right over many fan's heads.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
The intro track is very relaxing. I like the feel of the EP, it's definitely going to grow on me after a couple listens.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
I've found the EP to be a bit tedious to listen to. If you don't 'sync' with the vibe that Paul is going for, it's really boring and lackluster.

It's not terrible, it's just that this isn't what we have been expecting of the name Cynic. Paul should take this stuff to Aeon Spoke.

IAMLORDVADER

progressive insanity
Reaction score
I think it amazing, fast becoming some of my favorite songs.
I understand what everyone is saying about it being to mellow but mabye this is just for the demo and thier going back to the more agressive elements on the next album (whenever that comes:lol:).
does anyone know if the concept is linked to TIA? because the outline of the cover on that has almost identical art to the carbon ep, i know its the same artist but it would be cool if it was linked. i know there is lyrical similarities in both

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
The cover art is just the style of Robert Venosa, I don't think the albums are related (though Paul could probably write a few thousand words on how all music is connect :lol:). Sadly, Mr. Venosa actually passed away this year, I think the Carbon cover is his last "public" piece of art.

Robert Venosa Online

Enselmis

Reaction score
"And I don't feel scared, I declare I have everything I need. It's just me being hard on me. Box up my bones, I'm coming home!"

Stuck in my head... It will never ever leave... AHHHHHHHHH

m3ta1head

Contributor
Reaction score
"And I don't feel scared, I declare I have everything I need. It's just me being hard on me. Box up my bones, I'm coming home!"

Stuck in my head... It will never ever leave... AHHHHHHHHH

Yeah, same here. Every time I listen through this EP, it gets even better. I fucking love this band.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
I completely take back my initial uneasiness about Box Up My Bones. I love this EP. The ambient parts make it.
Also

"Let go of your mind - let yourself... die"

And the bass/guitar solo after is purely amazing.

Reaction score
Is the EP as stripped as TIA was compared to Focus?

I loved TIA but it was definitely weaker than Focus, it was missing that kind of creepy super layered feel they had going in Focus.

Tymon

Reaction score
you pretty much nailed it here.

the EP sounds like heavier aeon spoke songs.

I named Traced in Air my favorite album that came out in the first ten years of the 2000s, so I'm not one of those Focus purists either, this just doesn't do what Cynic should do compositionally.

And that's what really bother me about Paul. People wanted to hear Cynic again, that's why the reunion went so well.

It seems like now after getting success, he wants to force this lackluster pop music down our throats, thinking that Aeon Spoke never took off because not enough people heard it. That band never took off because it wasn't good Paul, because you are not good at making and singing ambient pop rock.

Sure these songs are alright, the playing is cool, everything sounds ok, but there is hardly anything hear that sounds like Cynic compositionally.

If he really wants to remake old Aeon Spoke songs then he should just break up Cynic again so we don't get out hopes up that we are getting another cynic album when we are not.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here. Don't get me wrong, I love Paul and the time I had with Cynic, but I'm not on the same page musically or business wise.

As an old fan of the band I know what Cynic's fans want to hear, I know what qualities they appreciate and look for in their music. Just like I did when I used to love the band. And I tried to push and pull Paul's ideas around so they got more interesting and exciting for Cynic fans to hear. It was quite the challenge but I do think some songs we were working on before Robin and I left turned out pretty cool. Too bad no one will ever hear those.

I do believe a band has to evolve and be musically honest. But in Cynic's case it's a little different. They didn't really work to get to the place they are, they made an (incredible) album with Focus which turned into a cult classic after they split up. So everything they are, they owe to their fans.
And I believe what they're doing now, i.e. "forcing this lackluster pop music down our throats", is disrespectful to the people who got them there.

It's understandable, Aeon Spoke was put down by the label that signed them. They didn't really have a choice but to move on. So when you have the choice to begin from scratch or continue under a band name that became a legend... well, it's obviously tempting to go for the last option!

I do applaud Paul and Sean for being musically honest with this release, I rather hear them make music they love making than faking another Focus like album. And in the end, it is their band so they should do whatever they feel they have to do. But they can do that without me or Robin.

Funny anecdote is that we discussed on rehashing the old Aeon Spoke song that became Carbon Based Anatomy. Robin and I didn't like the song so we didn't do it. Curious to see it's the main track of the new EP now.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
[wish]What are the odd that as Cynic drops the robot vocals, Exivious might start to use them again? [/wish]

')