New Cynic EP in November 2011!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Well... already pre-ordered it.

The thing is, I really like Aeon Spoke. The s/t album had some gorgeous songs. But yeah... Cynic and Aeon Spoke should be two different entities. Or if they're going to be mixed, at least make it known that we are listening to Cynic, not heavier Aeon Spoke, as mentioned earlier.

guitareben

Reaction score
I do applaud Paul and Sean for being musically honest with this release, I rather hear them make music they love making than faking another Focus like album. And in the end, it is their band so they should do whatever they feel they have to do.

My outlook on it ^^

I think it's best when musicians make the music THEY want to hear, rather than what the fans want to hear (Personally i find it usually yields better results), and I have much respect for that attitude ^^

And also, i've only heard Carbon Based Anatomy, and I absolutely love it! :D So i hope i'll like the rest of the album :)

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
Not a fan of the recent direction as a whole, but then again, not a fan of Focus either. Traced in Air is where it's at for me, and as far as the Cynic sound goes, a perfect album. You can't improve on perfection, and I'm not going to expect them to do so.

However, I do not own the band just because I purchased an album and a ticket to a show. Neither do you no matter how many years you've listened to them. It's a Cynic album (or excuse me, EP) if it says Cynic on the cover.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
I'm on both sides of the fence. I REALLY love Traced in Air, and Focus fucking blew my mind. Retraced was really cool, and this new EP will be great musically, but it probably won't be the progressive death metal with the fusion elements we have come to expect.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
However, I do not own the band just because I purchased an album and a ticket to a show.

Music fans have opinions. Ownership not required. When people love a band for having a unique sound, it is NOT unreasonable to be upset when that signature sound changes. See: Metallica.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I honestly really wanted to like the new EP, but no dice. I didn't dislike it, but I don't think I will be purchasing it. With that being said, I can see how much Tymon made the band a lot more interesting to listen to. I now can't wait to hear what the new exivious stuff sounds like.

fusion1

Reaction score
nah they already did that with Samba Briza on Elements. My take is they have 8 or 9 more planets to go to finish this solar system since they started with Jupiter.

Strange things are happening. Now I bet there'll be a latin jazz album announced by Atheist.

Enselmis

Reaction score
I really like Aeon Spoke...

Am I the only one here who isn't actually a fan of Focus? Traced In Air is probably one of my favorite albums of all time and this new EP is most excellent. It's very interesting to see Tymon's perspective though. I respect what he's saying and I can see where he's coming from. I'm actually happy he made the decision he did. This way we get incredible music from both Cynic and Exivious!

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
Am I the only one here who loves every Cynic and Aeon Spoke release? The fact that they manage to create such a diverse set of albums is actually pretty amazing.

Let Cynic progress how they want to progress. Sure, it may seem heavily influenced by Aeon Spoke but there's nothing wrong with that. If that's what Paul and Robert want to write, then so be it. Yeah, TIA and Focus were both amazing, but you can't expect a band to write the same album twice.

With that being said, the few 'true' tracks on Carbon Based Anatomy feel like Traced In Air and Aeon Spoke had a superchild and dropped the vocoder. It's really mellow, yet trippy at times. Despite the rather short length of the new EP, I still think it's a solid release and look forward to hearing more content like it.

And Tymon, I can't wait to hear the next Exivious album. It's a shame that Cynic had split up in that way, but everything happens for a reason. Looking forward to hearing more Exivious :yesway:

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
the way i see it, i'd rather my favorite band be honest than rehash.
we can keep saying "yeah make music for the fans" but the best music IMO was made without giving two shits about what i wanted to listen to.

lets be totally honest, in metal there is a genre that keeps pumping out the same-old shit endlessly. i'll give you a hint, every time someone makes a local music scene thread, we bitch about this genre (which i am quite guilty of). all the crap is made purely with the intention of crowd reaction (written for the fans) not art (written for themselves).

no disrespect to Tymon as my father and i are massive fans of your work, but i prefer Cynic to constantly evolve.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
focus to traced in air is an evolution of the cynic sound.

going back to aeon spoke songs instead of continuing to evolve that cynic sound for the ep is devolution.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Like as been said before, there is a really good reason Aeon Spoke is not around anymore.

Since Sean Malone played bass on this EP I really, really, really, really wanted to love it, but it is boring, just like Aeon Spoke.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Wow.

My synopsis of the album so far:

Cynic: Carbon-Based Anatomy EP | Tracks | Pitchfork

Observe that link. Note the # of plays for each song. Note how they just keep losing fans as each track progresses. 3000 plays, 2500 plays, 1700 plays, 1300 plays, 1100 plays. So if the attempt was a body of music to be listened to as a whole, they've missed their mark with many people. Only a third of the people that started that EP finished it.

It's a nice EP. Much better than Re-Traced. But still - while musically boundaries are expanding the instrumental boundaries have constricted. The drumming and guitar playing are not what I expected from a Cynic album. The songs are great, however.

Sadly, there is no trace of aggression on this album. Not only are the harsh vocals gone, but the muted chord progression backing the chorus of Elves Beam Out is perhaps the heaviest thing on this record.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Wow.

My synopsis of the album so far:

Cynic: Carbon-Based Anatomy EP | Tracks | Pitchfork

Observe that link. Note the # of plays for each song. Note how they just keep losing fans as each track progresses. 3000 plays, 2500 plays, 1700 plays, 1300 plays, 1100 plays. So if the attempt was a body of music to be listened to as a whole, they've missed their mark with many people. Only a third of the people that started that EP finished it.

It's a nice EP. Much better than Re-Traced. But still - while musically boundaries are expanding the instrumental boundaries have constricted. The drumming and guitar playing are not what I expected from a Cynic album. The songs are great, however.

Sadly, there is no trace of aggression on this album. Not only are the harsh vocals gone, but the muted chord progression backing the chorus of Elves Beam Out is perhaps the heaviest thing on this record.

People on the internet are utterly fickle, very rare they're going to listen to a whole album online, plus they may want to sample then buy later and not spoil it by listening to every track. Or even not know who the band are and just want to listen to a track.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
I don't know about other people. I know some are likely similar to me - waiting for pre-orders to arrive. I've streamed the album beginning to end about 30 times or so in the last 2 days. So of those 1000 people that even listened to the last track, 30-40 of them were myself, streaming it in it's entirety.

It's a great EP, too, but it goes by QUICK. And like I said, it's lacking the aggressive element and musical technicality many fans might have been hoping for.

Although the people saying it sounds like Aeon Spoke are overstating the matter. It's most definitely somewhere in-between. Call it flushed out Aeon Spoke songs, or call it mellowed out Cynic songs. It's straddling that middle line. It's nice, in it's own way. They've just dropped the whole "metal" aspect of Cynic completely with these last two EPs.

Whether it's complex death metal music, or even simple aggression like Ani Difranco ranting about her tampon with an acoustic guitar, I like it when the music has a driving aggressive element. It doesn't necessarily have to be "metal". That is not evident on this EP. It does not seem to be an important part of their sound anymore.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I don't know about other people. I know some are likely similar to me - waiting for pre-orders to arrive. I've streamed the album beginning to end about 30 times or so in the last 2 days. So of those 1000 people that even listened to the last track, 30-40 of them were myself, streaming it in it's entirety.

It's a great EP, too, but it goes by QUICK. And like I said, it's lacking the aggressive element and musical technicality many fans might have been hoping for.

Although the people saying it sounds like Aeon Spoke are overstating the matter. It's most definitely somewhere in-between. Call it flushed out Aeon Spoke songs, or call it mellowed out Cynic songs. It's straddling that middle line. It's nice, in it's own way. They've just dropped the whole "metal" aspect of Cynic completely with these last two EPs.

Whether it's complex death metal music, or even simple aggression like Ani Difranco ranting about her tampon with an acoustic guitar, I like it when the music has a driving aggressive element. It doesn't necessarily have to be "metal". That is not evident on this EP. It does not seem to be an important part of their sound anymore.

Is it less metal than Traced In Air then? I mean, I loved, LOVED that album, it was so light, but softer than that and I don't think I'll bother.

anomynous

Reaction score
This is way softer than Traced in Air, traced in air is death metal compared to this

Reactions: fps
')