New Deafheaven track: "From the Kettle to the Coil"

• Thread starter Sofos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
It's amazing.

I love this band. Forum user Scruffy showed me this band not that long ago, and I was instantly hooked. Roads to Judah and Sunbather are both incredible albums. I've become obsessed with this band pretty quickly.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
I'm not sure where I stand with these guys, sometimes I get Sunbather and really dig it but other times it's just noise, I've never experienced that with an album before.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I really like the change up in vocal styles. Still sounds like George, but he's obviously going for a little more black metal in his vocals (he used to remind me of Jacob Bannon, vocally, but now reminds me more of the vocalist from Sept of Memnon). I dig it. That guitar solo was pretty awesome too.

Exiterrr

Reaction score
I'm not sure where I stand with these guys, sometimes I get Sunbather and really dig it but other times it's just noise, I've never experienced that with an album before.

I feel the same way. The first time i heard sunbather, I couldnt do it. Then I gave it another try months later and i liked it a lot. now, not so much.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Damn, is the vocalist not burning up in those clothes? I can understand being an alternative metal band, and wanting to dress in darker clothing.. but his outfit is like something you would wear to a funeral in October. I have a black button up that I wear a lot too, but it's a Calvin Klein, and has it to where you can button the sleeve up to your elbows. It's actually pretty comfy in the heat if you're not wearing an undershirt. I do insensibly wear black skinny jeans like the band is seen doing here, but I've bought myself 2 nice pair of shorts that I'm starting to adjust myself to. I guess being brought up in skate park culture told me it was okay to wear these pants in the middle of summer. Reminds me of Warped Tour 2010, when I bought my first pair of skinnies, but they didn't quite fit. I got really sick that day from heat exhaustion, and had to go home and leave a cute girl I was watching Pierce the Veil with. I left just in time, as a thunderstorm was rolling in, and basically cancelled the whole festival, except what few bands were playing the indoor stage. That was the only opportunity I got to see Attack Attack!, and God said "nope". I guess it's because the band lost touch with the Christian lyrical themes present on their debut album. Sad.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
I really like the change up in vocal styles. Still sounds like George, but he's obviously going for a little more black metal in his vocals (he used to remind me of Jacob Bannon, vocally, but now reminds me more of the vocalist from Sept of Memnon). I dig it. That guitar solo was pretty awesome too.

He sounds a lot like he did on the Roads to Judah record, I like it. I prefer the voice I heard on Sunbather since it lent itself a bit better to the atmospheric, ambient, wall-of-sound characteristics of that record, but I'm happy to welcome a change when it is delivered this well. I'm guessing maybe he went back to that since this track really does sound like something we might have heard on the RtJ album, albeit with a level of depth and maturity you'd expect from a band having grown so much since then. It's a one-off track though, so I'm not at all anticipating this style to ultimately find its way onto their next LP. My guess is they'll be looking to expand further on the sounds and moods conveyed throughout the Sunbather record. That's just my guess, taking all I've seen, heard, and read thus far into account.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
1. The new song is great
2. His vocals in the live version are better than anything before. They remind me a lot of early Emperor
3. I watched the whole live set, and I have to say, I dont know if it was a delay/verb on set on the console, or just the ambient/crowd mics picking up acoustic reflections (more likely), but the slight delay on his voice gets REALLY annoying

EDIT: This only served to increase my desire for a Dunable guitar

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
He sounds a lot like he did on the Roads to Judah record, I like it. I prefer the voice I heard on Sunbather since it lent itself a bit better to the atmospheric, ambient, wall-of-sound characteristics of that record, but I'm happy to welcome a change when it is delivered this well. I'm guessing maybe he went back to that since this track really does sound like something we might have heard on the RtJ album, albeit with a level of depth and maturity you'd expect from a band having grown so much since then. It's a one-off track though, so I'm not at all anticipating this style to ultimately find its way onto their next LP. My guess is they'll be looking to expand further on the sounds and moods conveyed throughout the Sunbather record. That's just my guess, taking all I've seen, heard, and read thus far into account.
Based on their live performances post-Sunbather, I'd almost be tempted to say they seem to be going in a full on post rock/black metal fusion direction, since they add interludes between tracks that could fit soundly on an Explosions in the Sky or Godspeed You! Black Emperor record.

')