New Dean 7 String for 2014

• Thread starter Jim Antonio
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shupe13

Reaction score
Sadly I believe the name "Dean" is the issue here. Scale and number of frets means shit in this instance. It's a hater thing. If it were Agile, Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson (see the pattern here), any other manufacturer it would be the best thing ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TylerRay

LP Addict
Reaction score
WARNING: rant ahead. Duck and cover.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for those of you complaining about the scale length and number of frets on this model. Assuming that you would play a non-superstrat to begin with*, you've had the model you want for years: the ESP/LTD EC and the Ibanez ARZ both have 25"+ scale lengths and 24 frets, and there are new models of both coming this year with those specs. Until the Epiphone MKH signature, there hadn't been a "traditional spec" Les Paul 7 (24.75" scale with 22 frets) available in new production since Epiphone discontinued the Les Paul 7 in the early 2000s. There are now two options for that niche, the Epiphone and the Dean, which means that *maybe* we'll still have one available in two years. So don't whine to me that this *one* model doesn't happen to cater to your specs, which are easily found in virtually every other production seven-string, when it's practically the only option for my preferred spec in an off-the-shelf guitar. You don't like it? Fine. Don't play it.

/rant

*Show of hands: how many of you actually own a non-superstrat 7-string? And how many of those are "traditional" LP or Tele types as opposed to pointy metal guitars like the Iceman 7? I have four: 1 Tele-style, 1 LP, and two in the thinline hollow/semi-hollow mode. There's not a double-cutaway to be found in my collection, in any string configuration. This isn't a fashion statement for me; these are the guitars I can comfortably play.
:metal:

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Man that thing is hideous :lol:

I'm not even going to partake in the "superstrat 7 vs LP-7 shape" because I don't really care. All i know is that guitar is one of the ugliest releases I've seen in a long time. I know pointy guitars are in, but i'm not saying they had to do it more pointy or whatever. Just more "fluid" if you know what I mean? That thing looks like a high school woodshop kid tried to make a Les Paul body and they spat that monstrosity off of the bandsaw. It just looks wrong. Plus were they even trying to make the headstock at all visually appealing or did they just decide to put a couple decorative notches in the headstock blank and call it a day?

I guess it doesn't really matter what I say because i'm just some guy on a guitar forum, but I don't understand what these guys were thinking. If they were trying to get into the niche of 7 string Les Paul's like celticelk said, they could have at least done it a bit more gracefully than this. Like... Dean Cadillac 7 string anyone? Not quite an LP but I think it would be a lot cooler than this. Just imagine a Rob Barret signature with 7 strings.

rob%205_jpg.jpg

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
The scale length isn't a deal breaker for me, I wouldn't buy a LP-shaped 7-string regardless of the scale length. People are just sharing their opinions on the guitar, my opinion is that anything less than 25.5 inches is dicks for string tension on a 7-string.

celticelk

Reaction score
The scale length isn't a deal breaker for me, I wouldn't buy a LP-shaped 7-string regardless of the scale length. People are just sharing their opinions on the guitar, my opinion is that anything less than 25.5 inches is dicks for string tension on a 7-string.

As with many things, it's relative. If you're tuning down to drop G or lower and playing tech death, I can see why you might not want a 24.75" scale. Not everyone tunes that low, or plays that way. I'm partial to tunings with a low B, and I like my strings to be a little heavier for the tonal improvement, and my playing style doesn't involve a rapid-fire succession of low notes, and so I manage quite nicely with this setup. Assuming that your own preferences have any objective merit is a rather common logical fallacy around here.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Not complaining about the scale. It's just... well your original comment was kind of like an invitation, which I accepted lol. Just kidding around ya know? I would never buy that but it doesn't mean I hate it or anything. Not many short scale 7 around so happy for the people who this guitar serves. Any friend of a 7 string is a friend of mine.

')