New Death Metal project from Montreal

• Thread starter Unknown Doodl3.2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just released my band Sutrah's demo on bandcamp yesterday. Check it out and see if you like it! It features members of Chthe'ilist (yours truly, and Laurent Bellemare who does the live vocals) and would probably interest fans of bands like Lykathea Aflame, Augury, Ulcerate etc

Sutrah

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Sounds cool, I'll have to check it out when I'm not at work. But first lemme ask you

Is Montreal just like, completely riddled with death metal bands? I mean, the area seems to kind of have a legacy, beginning with Cryptopsy,but also it seems like there are a lot of successful death metal bands that come out of there--despite it being a not-so-populous place (in terms of the world, not Canada).

How many bands in 10 in Montreal are death metal bands, do you figure? 3 in 10? 4 in 10? If you meet someone in Montreal, and they play in a band, what are the chances that it's a death metal band?...

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I'll try and answer the question as best I can, but there's definitely many different perspectives on it.

I get the feeling Montreal simply has a thriving music scene more generally, regardless of genre. It's hard for me to compare to other cities and claim whether there is a bigger concentration of death metal, but there is definitely many enthusiasts of the style who also happen to play instruments and then get involved. For a variety of reasons,Quebec has a knack for producing some pretty pissed off people while Montreal is also considered a big cultural hub in North America.

For what it's worth, I still get funny or inquisitive looks out in public when I tell people I'm in two death metal bands, but people, while they won't necessarily get it, generally acknowledge and recognize metal music as a "valid" cultural phenomenon.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Montreal is the BEST for metal. I'm originally from Toronto, and back in the early/mid-nineties, when everybody had decided metal was dead, me and my friends would just make the trip to Montreal, and we were in mecca.

Suddenly every metal show was packed, and I even remember a record shop that only stocked metal albums, divided by sub-genre (death metal, thrash, black-metal, etc.). Five or six years back, went there to see Blind Guardian, I didn't know the band well, but the place was packed to the rafters and everybody was singing along to every word. Blind Guardian gushed about the city, and even double-booked to end their tour, because they knew they'd sell out Montreal no problem. Love that city (except for their cursed hockey team).

But I am realizing this thread is about a band, so time to end derail rant and check it out.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Okay, that was pretty great! I like that you refer to your band as death metal too, it seems like everything is slotted into infinite sub-sub-genres that I just can't keep track of (likely just me getting old), but I likes me the good ol' fashioned Death Metal moniker.

I've been playing for years, but really let it slide, and I can't seem to find the speed anymore, this makes me want to pick up my guitar and get to working on that again. Think I'll do just that!

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys!

We're currently shopping a drummer (programmed drums aren't my thing) so if you guys know any talented blast-beating crazies out there let us know!

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Profile image is Mahayana Buddhism icon and logo looks like written Hindi...
Kinda conflicting. Only kinda.

Also another thing to check would be asking someone who reads Hindi if it doesn't accidentally look like some Hindi word you wouldn't want like "c*nt" or something.

Sumsar

Reaction score
Sounds great dude (assuming dude)! For once someone who actually writes interesting music! The mix leaves a little to be desired - could be a tad more polished. Also it seems that a few places some things are not quite in tune? It is not a general thing, but just something I noticed a few places. Not much to do about it now, more of a "next time you record, check your tuning more often". It doesn't ruin the music.

metalvince333

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just released my band Sutrah's demo on bandcamp yesterday. Check it out and see if you like it! It features members of Chthe'ilist (yours truly, and Laurent Bellemare who does the live vocals) and would probably interest fans of bands like Lykathea Aflame, Augury, Ulcerate etc

Sutrah

Sick stuff!! Good to see Laurent in a serious death metal again, he's one of the most underated singers in the scene. You should ask Sam Santiago to play drums if he's available.

I think that montreal probably has a 3/1 ratio as for death metal bands vs other genres and that's probably because of our old school bands that paved the way. When you have bands like Kataklysm and Cryptopsy, it gives the scene a certain reputation and credibility I guess.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Just figured I'd bump this, letting you guys know that we're in the middle of recording our first full length in hopes of an early spring release. We've found a drummer for session work but still looking for a full time member to start doing gigs/tours etc. Download our demo and like our facebook page if you enjoy the music!

The album will blow the demo out of the water.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
You had me at Augury, Lykathea Aflame and Ulcerate :lol:

I hear lots of Stargazer too

I'm most likely going to dig the shet out of your full length :yesway:

beyondcosmos

Reaction score
Akrasia is beyond nuts, holy .... :hbang: :hbang:

Those vocals also are CARBON COPIES of Ptoe from Lykathea Aflame.

I'm so hyped this band exists, nice job man!

What gear did you use for the guitars?

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm really psyched about getting this music out there.

I have two custom Marc Chicoine guitars. Effervesce was recorded with a mahogany body + BKP warpig combo and Akrasia on its Black Korina + Painkiller sister. Both reamped into a mesa Boogie Mark III and a vintage Marshall cab with old greenbacks. I'll be using the same guitars on the album but will be mixing it up as far as amps, cabs, and mics.

')