New Dimmu Borgir vid RULES

• Thread starter Kagami
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Love it! I bought this song on iTunes because the leaked copy is terrible quality. Very worth the $0.99. There's also a new instrumental song available on iTunes as well which isn't on the new album, a B-side I'd assume (perhaps a Japanese bonus track). Good stuff.

Dimmu is one of my favorite bands, I am dying to get my hands on their new record. This whole band is so tasteful, a lot of their purist fans resent them because they're not "true" black metal anymore, but whatever, genres aside it's just fucking kickass. Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia and Death Cult Armageddon are 2 of my top 10 albums of all time. There's even some 7 string goodness in there which is a nice touch :yesway:

Anyone who thinks this is anything like Trivium is an idiot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I agree! They are, in my opinion, sounding more and more like an American metal band these days. Very trashy riffs etc. It's not bad, but it has nothing to offer to me.

It is great to see extreme metal getting bigger bugdets in production, videos, merchandise etc. But cutting an extreme metal song to fit the 3:30 MTV formula, is pretty lame.

It's like cutting off the middle finger that was pointing towards the MTV scene.

They want to sell albums and make money. Weird.

ScareRaven

The Golden Raven
Reaction score
I didn't like Dimmu Borgir much until I decided to pick up this album, and I was very surprised to see that Galder has been doing lead guitar for them since 2001. Old Man's Child's 'Defiance in Existence' is an incredible blackened death album. I still have yet to hear vermin... I suppose this is why 'The Serpentine Offering' caught my ear as I was listening to it for the first time. Galder's songwriting is pretty badass. In Sorte Diaboli, as a concept album, is exactly what I need to listen to an album repeatedly. :p

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
Zim...I'm British, sarcasm and disapproval of success is in my blood ;)

I like the track, I like what Dimmu are doing, I just prefer their old stuff...

(...I love black metal, being tr00 means I hate everything post-1993 :p)

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Bah! If you were really true you'd only listen to demos, bootlegs and rehearsal tapes from obscure bands that never got as far as inking record deals!!

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Or only listen to bands that record into a tape recorder that's inside a metal garbage can that's 20 feet from where the band is playing.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
...only if 666 copies were released...and each one is smeared with the blood of virgin catholics....

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
If the lead singer of Immortal hit the lottery, he'd make that video. :metal:

Friggin' killer tune. :hbang:

that video isnt nearly frigid, grim or frostbitten enough for immortal :lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
All I care about is the music, and newer Dimmu IMO has better songs, better production, more mature songwriting, everything. If that means it's not "true" black metal I could care less.

I don't see why making records that sound like a Metal Zone pedal direct to the board, with nonsensical arrangements makes it more brutal or good. If people could get over the whole purity of the genre and just listen, they'd probably find a lot of the newer Dimmu stuff is extremely heavy and creative, like, as cliche as it sounds, a symphony to the apocalypse or something. Brilliant stuff.

It's like old Emperor compared to their newest stuff. Most black metal purists hated it, but it's their most epic, heavy, dense and musical work to date...and as extreme as anything. Bad production does not = extreme, it just means you're broke (or lazy).

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
They want to sell albums and make money. Weird.

And I think their success is well deserved. They're talented musicians who write some damn good songs.

I guess I just concentrate more on the music than calculating a band's trueness-points. :shrug:

Shaman

Reaction score
It's like old Emperor compared to their newest stuff. Most black metal purists hated it, but it's their most epic, heavy, dense and musical work to date...and as extreme as anything. Bad production does not = extreme, it just means you're broke (or lazy).

Exactly! Anthems and Prometheus are my favourite Emperor albums. The same thing happened when Dimmu released Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, all the tr00 fans were saying that sold out. Enthrone is my favourite Dimmu album.

The production on the new Dimmu album is awesome! I just wish they had more of those orchestral parts, but of course using them too much would take away the impact so..

I agree with you 100% Zim, bad production doesen't make anything sound brutal. A great production however... :hbang:

And I know that the 3:30 has nothing to do with the band or their music.

Skeksis

Closed Eye Visuals
Reaction score
I don't think the production has anything to do with it. I don't really like "grim" black metal crappy production either, I'd much prefer a clean and punchy sounding track to any of that shitty sounding stuff any day. And I could care less about how "tr00" they are.

As one of you said, it's all about the music. And in the case of Dimmu I just don't like it, they've done way better. "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" owns this song, it's 5 videos below this one, check it out.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
All I care about is the music, and newer Dimmu IMO has better songs, better production, more mature songwriting, everything. If that means it's not "true" black metal I could care less.

I still prefer "enthrone.."

Latest posts

')