New Djenty-Poppy song w/ Axe Fx! (After taking lesson with Misha Mansoor)

• Thread starter nander
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nander

Reaction score
Hey! I posted my new song a few days ago in the John Petrucci forum and got great feedback. However, this forum has greater knowledge/appreciation for Djenty bands like Periphery. I am sure you guys will therefore be better judges/critics.

So, let me tell you the story. About a year ago, I decided to take a lesson with Misha. Even though the session was only an hour long, he really influenced my approach on composition. Now, I didn't want to copy Periphery or any other band, so I decided to work on a ¨poppier¨ version of ¨Djent¨. My goal is to create music that anybody can digest, ¨non-musicans¨ included.

Anyway, here's the song:

Fer Contreras - Matar lo que te hizo sonreir on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Gear used:
- Carvin 727
- Axe Fx
- Trilian
- Omnisphere
- EZ Drummer
- Ozone 4
- Nectar

It would be great if you could criticize/comment on my effort!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Cool.

But I gotta be honest, with all the utilities you have, the mix should sound much, much better than this.

nander

Reaction score
thanks for the replies! Yes, the song is in Spanish... I am working on lyrics in English for the next version.

Hey ¨The Armada¨, could you comment on what aspects of the mix didn't sound good? I am still pretty new to mastering, so I know I got long ways to go.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
The instruments sound like they are in another room. The vocals sound pretty good however. It could just be a mix issue. I would turn everything other than the vox up a ton. Then send the instruments to a bus and add a ducker with a fast attack and medium release and maybe 2-4 db of gain reduction. That will allow everything to be eard and allow the vocals to "pop" over the instruments.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
^Couldn't have said it better myself.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Bit bass heavy, and the guitars sound a little flat. I think if the guitar tone was perhaps tweaked and brought up in the mix it would be better. Nice though. :) Vocals are cool, nice to hear metal done with different languages.

nander

Reaction score
The instruments sound like they are in another room. The vocals sound pretty good however. It could just be a mix issue. I would turn everything other than the vox up a ton. Then send the instruments to a bus and add a ducker with a fast attack and medium release and maybe 2-4 db of gain reduction. That will allow everything to be eard and allow the vocals to "pop" over the instruments.

Wow, this is the first time I heard about ducking. I saw some tutorials on youtube and it's pretty awesome. Without it, it is very difficult to make "in your face" vocals without compromising the volumes of the other instruments. Thanks for the advise!

Latest posts

')