New Dream Theater song - The Gift of Music

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

A-Branger

Reaction score
this is definitely an album for the piano/key players. Lots of soft piano music, very keys/piano/orchestra driven.

That was one of the biggest complains of my keyboard player back in the day when we were on a DT cover band. He hated to play guitar sounds, to be the "second guitar". He was more happy playing piano or orchestra parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
There are definitely musical qualities to the album. "The Answer", for example.

What musical does that song sound like? It just sounds like a christian rock ballad to me.

To the guy that said Begin Again, I can hear that in the first part, it sounds like the lead up recitative before a ballad or something. It then ends up just sounding like a power ballad before the bells at the end, though! I think the big crashy drums kind of preclude anything from sounding like a musical to me, so maybe that's it.

So yeah. Everyone keeps saying musical, but the only one anyone has brought up as sounding remotely similar is Jesus Christ Superstar!

I think it just sounds like a Dream Theater album. However, it's easily their best since SDOIT and maybe even SFAM. They managed to isolate the problem with their last several, which was MEMORABLE MELODIES. They're all over the place on here, and it's kind of exhilarating hearing them firing on all cylinders in that department again. The vocals are pretty much flawless here, even though I'm not the biggest Labrie fan.

There's also all kinds of new stuff happening. Some of my favorite things on here are just some of the goofy little touches, like the all-out blastbeat at the very end of Three Days. The SONICS are far better than what I remember of the last few albums too, though. Like, the keyboard sound on the chorus on "When Your Time Has Come" is great vintage pre-Jordan Rudess sound, I love it! And all the real wind instruments, strings and choir really add to it instead of the nightmare that was the synth overture on SDOIT.

So yeah, very good album. I'm still digesting it. I dunno how much I'll listen to it. The lyrics are cheesy as all heck as per usual, but I guess that was kind of the point this time, so good for them!

What's wrong with Broadway or Cirque de Soleil?

NO DJENT!!! NO SICK RIFFS!!

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
People complaining that it sounds like a musical make me want to actually buy a DT album for the first time since Train of Thought. I like theatrical metal. (Hurry up and release some new material, Shaolin Death Squad!)

People responding by saying stuff like "no it doesn't, it sounds like a Christian rock ballad," however, make me want to stay far, far away. :lol:

What to do, what to do...

wankerness

Reaction score
People complaining that it sounds like a musical make me want to actually buy a DT album for the first time since Train of Thought. I like theatrical metal. (Hurry up and release some new material, Shaolin Death Squad!)

People responding by saying stuff like "no it doesn't, it sounds like a Christian rock ballad," however, make me want to stay far, far away. :lol:

What to do, what to do...

That particular song is along the lines of say, Spock Beard's "Snow." It's cheesy but endearing. There are plenty of Dream Theater-y tough songs too! I don't think it's overall much wimpier than SFAM, though I guess it has a smaller heavy to light ratio. I can't really imagine liking SFAM and not liking this, but apparently some people in this thread don't!

I am still going through it again, but I really don't think it sounds like a musical. If you are actually familiar with musicals, and are hoping for this to sound like them, you may be disappointed. FTR, some prog metal band song that DOES sound like a musical to me would be Pain of Salvation's "Dea Pecuniae" (aka the Mr. Money song).

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
Listened to 2 songs so far, not bad but nothing amazing. Probably one of those albums that's best for long car rides when you can listen from start to finish.

electriceye

Reaction score
What's wrong with Broadway or Cirque de Soleil?

Certainly nothing. But I'm not exactly a fan of Broadway musicals (I do enjoy Broadway, but not THAT much) and CDS is good, too. But, frankly, I'm finding this music cringe-worthy even on a Broadway level. I honestly can't listen to it. I hate to say that, but that's how I feel. i can't even get through a full listen-through.

wankerness

Reaction score
Listened to 2 songs so far, not bad but nothing amazing. Probably one of those albums that's best for long car rides when you can listen from start to finish.

It works just fine in small bursts due to all the short songs, and each disc feels like a self-contained unit. You don't need to listen to it all at once, that would probably even make it feel like an endurance test!

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Had a listen, well, DT still isn't my thing. Next.
Obviously DT are great musicians and Petrucci is untouchable guitar wise but as a whole... this was just boring. Next indeed. lol

To me DT is a band that is "progressive" in the genre sense and not really progressive otherwise, which is fine for their fans, just not my thing.

Lax

Reaction score
At least we can say that their albums range goes from pop to metal, plus the astonishing and the side projects like LTE.
I appreciate that 7s is the only place where people disliking this album just say "not the one for me" rather than "it's sh*t".

I'm not liking it because they worked hard to do it, but because it moves me, like hit by a sniper note on nearly each song rather than surrounded by the usual wall of sound.
Sometimes the voice, sometimes the orchestra, sometimes rudess and petrucci, I hear subtle and emotionnal licks that are beyond most people's creativity.

They needed this album in their discography and finding back inspirations from all their other albums + references like the wall + the little touches (queen/muse for nafarys i.e.) is just pure pleasure, my pants haven't been so wet since SDOIT (thought a lot of songs like honor the father, 12 step suite, in the presence of ennemies, tuscany, breaking all illusions and bridges in the sky...were astonishing ;))

vividox

Reaction score
Did LaBrie dye his hair? He kind of looks like Rebecca Black in that video. :lol:

Also, John Myung doesn't age.

')