New Dream Theater song - The Gift of Music

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Who's Anthony Fantano and what does his opinion matter? Google search just suggests he's a youtube ho. I might watch that video if it's amusing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Did anyone see Anthony Fantano's video on it :lol: Dude's not a fan.
Fantano doesn't like any modern prog metal, all he had to say about the new The Dear Hunter record was "more overproduced indie prog, yaaaaay" :scratch:

And also, is there any particular reason for why guys like Petrucci use the Axe-FX XL? Doesn't the XL only enable you to store more stuff on it? And I'm pretty sure that Petrucci only uses it as an effects processor, is he really maxing it out?

DXL

Reaction score
Fantano doesn't like any modern prog metal, all he had to say about the new The Dear Hunter record was "more overproduced indie prog, yaaaaay" :scratch:

I remember when he gave The Raven That Refused To Sing a 5/10 and people were furious.

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score

And also, is there any particular reason for why guys like Petrucci use the Axe-FX XL? Doesn't the XL only enable you to store more stuff on it? And I'm pretty sure that Petrucci only uses it as an effects processor, is he really maxing it out?
Probably Fractal just pushing the latest thing.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Ugh. This is awful. Whose idea was it to throw sound library audience noise under the music?

And the concept... Oh good, now we have MORE suburban white teenager fantasy realm music. Maybe the NOMACS aren't such a bad idea. Kidding aside, art is a statement. Of all the problems in the world, the one that DT chooses to call attention to is censorship and consequent decline of music appreciation, and the entity to which they attribute this issue is a fictional totalitarian North American government. So what, are we supposed to rise up against Obama or the Supreme Court to reclaim our music? The whole thing seems very misguided. A handful of people are comparing The Astonishing to Rush's 2112, which is accurate because 2112 is also music forewarning censorship in a totalitarian society, dreamt up by affluent suburban fantasy nerds who have never had to suffer censorship or oppression in their lives. (I say this as a Rush fan.) Whose fault is it? THE MAN, naturally. In my opinion, Frank Zappa discussed these issues of social imbalance/injustice and censorship in a much more informed manner in Joe's Garage (a 2-hour rock opera), pinning the blame of music's decline and censorship on government (and yes, he eventually faced off with censors), but also on the music business (as well as ideological charlatans and hypocritical prudes).

Dong Work for Yuda

The thing that is at the heart of this is how we value music as a society. Specifically, should music be monetized? Should it be a product? Because that mentality creates privileges, pushes artists out of the market, and narrows the formats and repertoire available to the listener.

Dave Grohl touched upon this a couple of years ago, although I'm not sure whether he was thinking of the music industry quite in those terms. This is a criticism of American Idol:

I don’t want my kid to think that the only way you can be a musician is to stand in line at a song contest audition, and then wind up having a bazillionaire tell you you’re not a good singer. Don’t get me started. To me, that’s not what music’s about. It’s destroying the next generation of musicians! Musicians should go to a yard sale and buy an old f—ing drum set and get in their garage and just suck. And get their friends to come in and they’ll suck, too. And then they’ll f—ing start playing and they’ll have the best time they’ve ever had in their lives and then all of a sudden they’ll becoming Nirvana. Because that’s exactly what happened with Nirvana. That can happen again! You don’t need a f—ing computer or the Internet or 'The Voice' or 'American Idol.'
Anyway, I don't think that DT is saying anything with this album—it's a poorly formed and dangerously uncritical work about a problem that does not exist in the capacity that it is imagined in the context of The Astonishing's narrative framework. How about music that puts a finger on real problems? We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite is a concept album from 1960 that still has resonance and relevancy in 2016, 56 years later. That's a powerful concept there, and there's not a single hobbit in the entire thing.

There is plenty to talk about in today's world, and Dream Theater is either ignorant or silent about those current affairs. The Astonishing strikes me as musical fluff that, in its refusal to take risks, will do more to encourage censorship and hegemony than to raise awareness for or prevent it.

wankerness

Reaction score
Alternatively, you could just ignore the lyrics and enjoy the album for its many, many virtues :hbang:

Dream Theater lyrics never warrant that level of scrutiny, it's like expecting Andrew WK to make important social statements. (though at least he doesn't even try)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alternatively, you could just ignore the lyrics and enjoy the album for its many, many virtues :hbang:

Dream Theater lyrics never warrant that level of scrutiny, it's like expecting Andrew WK to make important social statements. (though at least he doesn't even try)

Or accept that not everything is meant to be some huge allegory that demands action in the real world.. sometimes a story is just a fvcking story :lol:

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
Or accept that not everything is meant to be some huge allegory that demands action in the real world.. sometimes a story is just a fvcking story :lol:

Yep, seems like some "people just don't have the time for music any more", they simply can't turn off the lights(and all gadgets around them) and enjoy it.Nothing wrong about analyzing stuff that much but it's wrong when it doesn't allow you to enjoy it, balance is always good.
I really don't think DT wants to change anything with this album, like technomancer pointed out it's just a story.

wankerness

Reaction score

To be fair, he's giving the lyrics (and the band) far more attention and credit than those of us who just kind of ignore them/think of them as being silly. He really thought about the album and must be a superfan. I guess this just goes to show that Dream Theater works best when you don't speak English very well. :hbang:

Lax

Reaction score
Sure DT fans are not casual metalhead "me likey or not", but how fun it is to see each other fighting for each release !
"Not enough metal, too metal, too much religious meanings, dull lyrics, too much shred fapping, too simple..."
The only way they have to please everybody is to release 20 albums and let each other decide, I'm sure some people have only falling into infinity in their car because they never knew of another album (we are the solid base that listens to everything they do).
(This statement is maybe stronger in europe, because DT is I hope better known in USA)

A-Branger

Reaction score
the more I listent to it, the more I like some songs, and the more I get bored and over the rest.

now this is something funny it happened to me:

at one point I was like "uhg, enough soapy slow song, *next*, slow piano intro...*next* another slow piano intro... *next* slow orchestra music... *next* slow piano intro... *next* weird robot sounds.... *next* bad audio post of people working metal parts and marching song intro... *next* finally something different (but song latter becomes soft balad song (but one of my favourites).....*next* piano intro with seaguls ....*next* another slow piano intro.....*next* another sad piano intro (latter changes, but still a soft piano intro).....*next* weird robot sounds track......*next* another soft piano intro....*next* finally something different

I couldnt believe it when I was pressing *skip* every time lol :lol:

I could grab the best songs out of the two, pile them on just one album lenght, and trow away the rest. THAT could be a masterpiece, but not these two whole albums

maybe I need a good time off. Ive been listening the albums non stop on my car as I like to leave the Cds there for a few runs each as Im bored of my other Cds

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
Sure DT fans are not casual metalhead "me likey or not", but how fun it is to see each other fighting for each release !
"Not enough metal, too metal, too much religious meanings, dull lyrics, too much shred fapping, too simple..."
The only way they have to please everybody is to release 20 albums and let each other decide, I'm sure some people have only falling into infinity in their car because they never knew of another album (we are the solid base that listens to everything they do).
(This statement is maybe stronger in europe, because DT is I hope better known in USA)

Just like with anything, there will be people who like it, hate it or don't care about it.
Dream Theater never delivered what their fans wanted which would turn their music into their fans music, they always delivered what they wanted, the proof of it is each album sounds different, their influences keep changing as their tastes too, they could keep releasing I&W over and over but not, they follow their own needs.We all should applaud a band like that, in the era of people who have no time to enjoy the most simple things in life(which are the best ones), they released a 34 songs album which each song is part of a story.What band(s) is(are) doing that type of thing?Which ones have the balls to follow their own needs 100% after 30 years on the road?Dream Theater still feels excited about making music, it's obviously not about the money, it's about passion.
I'm so happy that a band that became my favorite band in 1994 still releases albums I have no clue how they will be, Dream Theater should mean.....................Surprise! :agreed:

The Mirror

Reaction score
So. After finally listening to it, there are a few things I have to say.

First. This record is fantastic. It is much more melodic and song oriented than most DT records after Scenes. In fact it might be my favourite DT record since Scenes.

But I also see a big missed chance in this one: The character are all sung by LaBrie

Now don't get me wrong. The Astonishing is a fantastic achievement by LaBrie. In fact his Nefaryus is probably the best I heard from him since Voices.

But on the other hand this whole thing has been built up as some sort of musical and thus I just don't get, why DT didn't think about calling some friends in the music business and make it a full out play with different singers.

As I said, I like LaBrie, but when hearing him voicing Faythe it just sounds wrong. In my head, while hearing the record, I always thought about stuff like "Hey. Anneke Van Giersbergen would be great in that role", or "Damn. Michael Eriksen is a great voice for Arhys".

I can understand that the whole thing is, after all, a DT record and maybe LaBrie wouldn't want to be just a minor role in it or whatever. But still all these characters sung only by him are wrong, imho.

So after all as of now I would probably give it a 4/5 or whatever, with that last step being a full blown Prog-Metal-Musical for a full score.

Oh, and yes. I really didn't care for the "story". It's your everyday YoungAdult stuff and frankly, it doesn't bother me at all. Yeah, they could have made a greater topic, yeah it couldn't be just jumping on that trend wagon, but hell. Nefaryus is so damn over-the-top amazing, that I just don't bother.

Lax

Reaction score
I thought of it, and I have the feeling that multiple singers would have been the catalyst of the cheese factor, adding the last piece of a disney like interaction.
Only from my point of view, I like the fact that JLB sang alone, and we can sing their song without looking like a 40 years old lion's king fanboy :D

I know I talk a lot about Disney, but I felt lion's king vibe in the overture, aladin's sometimes, the aristocats at the end of three days XD And it was pleasant

A-Branger

Reaction score
altough this record is pretty melodic, soft, very piano/orchestra oriented with a lot of soft ballads and pop-rock-prog. Which is still awesome. Think about what the next record would be. They always change their "theme" with each release, so I bet the next one would be pretty evil.

This is what I love about them, they are soo diverse on their music and albums. Whatever mood you are feeling they have an album for it

scrub

Reaction score
So. After finally listening to it, there are a few things I have to say.

First. This record is fantastic. It is much more melodic and song oriented than most DT records after Scenes. In fact it might be my favourite DT record since Scenes.

But I also see a big missed chance in this one: The character are all sung by LaBrie

Now don't get me wrong. The Astonishing is a fantastic achievement by LaBrie. In fact his Nefaryus is probably the best I heard from him since Voices.

But on the other hand this whole thing has been built up as some sort of musical and thus I just don't get, why DT didn't think about calling some friends in the music business and make it a full out play with different singers.

As I said, I like LaBrie, but when hearing him voicing Faythe it just sounds wrong. In my head, while hearing the record, I always thought about stuff like "Hey. Anneke Van Giersbergen would be great in that role", or "Damn. Michael Eriksen is a great voice for Arhys".

I can understand that the whole thing is, after all, a DT record and maybe LaBrie wouldn't want to be just a minor role in it or whatever. But still all these characters sung only by him are wrong, imho.

So after all as of now I would probably give it a 4/5 or whatever, with that last step being a full blown Prog-Metal-Musical for a full score.

Oh, and yes. I really didn't care for the "story". It's your everyday YoungAdult stuff and frankly, it doesn't bother me at all. Yeah, they could have made a greater topic, yeah it couldn't be just jumping on that trend wagon, but hell. Nefaryus is so damn over-the-top amazing, that I just don't bother.

Petrucci was on Eddie Trunk's sirius show and mentioned having other singers. Labrie wasn't ok with it.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score

Kevin Moore and Myung wrote great lyrics on their early releases.

wankerness

Reaction score
Kevin Moore and Myung wrote great lyrics on their early releases.

Yeah, but those days have been gone for almost 20 years now!

RE: Labrie doing other characters, I wasn't really paying attention to the lyrics, but is there any of that heinous stuff he did like on "Home" where he's trying to do a woman voice? If that happened, I thankfully didn't notice.

vividox

Reaction score
To be fair, he's giving the lyrics (and the band) far more attention and credit than those of us who just kind of ignore them/think of them as being silly. He really thought about the album and must be a superfan. I guess this just goes to show that Dream Theater works best when you don't speak English very well. :hbang:
I don't know how much I buy that. The premise of the story is clearly "Several hundred years into a dystopian future...". That pretty much makes any kind of an activist/agenda argument a non-starter.

')