New Dream Theater song - The Gift of Music

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thedonal

Reaction score
Awww. This boy is getting excited.

A friend works for Warner UK and handles RoadRunner, so I may have a promo on the way.

I'm not sure I can wait though...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Volteau

the Bard
Reaction score
Y'all who didn't like Count of Tuscany are crazy. It may be cheesy, but it's the BEST kind of cheesy. :lol:

It's the Manchego of songs. I agree.

I kinda liked this album. I am scared, though, that they are gonna play the whole thing when I go see 'em in NYC-RCMH on April 23. I mean, it's an ok album, but I sure as hell do not want to go to a concert and see the whole album play out.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I kinda liked this album. I am scared, though, that they are gonna play the whole thing when I go see 'em in NYC-RCMH on April 23. I mean, it's an ok album, but I sure as hell do not want to go to a concert and see the whole album play out.

Then sell your tickets because that's what they're doing on this tour :lol:

Funnily enough I'm considering getting tickets because they're doing the whole album and it is awesome...

Bucks

Reaction score

DT have been pretty clear that the only thing they will be playing on this tour is this album. I wouldn't even expect an encore, this tour will be the astonishing and that only.

I'll be a Radio City, can't wait.

Volteau

the Bard
Reaction score
DT have been pretty clear that the only thing they will be playing on this tour is this album. I wouldn't even expect an encore, this tour will be the astonishing and that only.

I'll be a Radio City, can't wait.

I did not know that. Ah well, I'll fight through it :D

piggins411

Reaction score
I wish they'd come to Nashville. I went through like 10-15 years worth of tour dates once and never saw it. I'm not sure they've EVER come here

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I can see why some fans aren't digging this as it's more prog and less metal, but IMHO this is absolutely awesome

Amen.

3I0NJ5I.gif

InFlames235

Reaction score
Ya, this is the best thing in a long long long long long time from this band. Can't get enough of it where-as the last two albums I kinda had to force myself to listen more or less

chinnybob

Reaction score
Digging the album so far, it definitely reminds me more of their earlier material. Also, LaBrie hasn't sounded this good for a looooong time.

Genome

Reaction score
After my first listen I was very unsure about it - and I still have some issues with it (most likely because opera/musicals are really not my thing) but I've grown to love several parts already. And the better parts of it are absolutely streets ahead of Dream Theater and A Dramatic Turn of Events.

My main gripe is that the songs are too short, and end just as I am getting into them. The main culprit for this is A New Beginning, which has an absolutely amazing solo section and groove, and it inexplicably fades out... frustrating!

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
After my first listen I was very unsure about it - and I still have some issues with it (most likely because opera/musicals are really not my thing) but I've grown to love several parts already. And the better parts of it are absolutely streets ahead of Dream Theater and A Dramatic Turn of Events.

My main gripe is that the songs are too short, and end just as I am getting into them. The main culprit for this is A New Beginning, which has an absolutely amazing solo section and groove, and it inexplicably fades out... frustrating!

That's the magic of DT, you(we) never know what to expect, if they kept doing whatever people want, then it won't be their music anymore.Sometimes frustrating.........YES................but so awesome and with tons of personality!

posmaster

Reaction score
It's got a little 2112 thematically, a little bit of "The Wall" in terms of the orchestration/arrangement/scope, and - stay with me here - Disney musicals.

The melody lines for a lot of the songs would not be out of place among those from Tangled or Frozen... and that's not a bad thing in my book for what they're trying to do.

But some of Petrucci's lyrics are really dire, too much telling and not showing, and way too often on the nose. Mostly forgivable though, but like George Lucas, he needs someone to edit them or reign him back a bit.

TheFightingCPA

Reaction score
Bought the album yesterday but due to work I was unable to listen. Had some time this morning and heard Act 1 in full. OMFG. I IMMEDIATELY went to go buy tickets to their Mesa concert. I can't believe how amazing this is.

Genome

Reaction score
That's the magic of DT, you(we) never know what to expect, if they kept doing whatever people want, then it won't be their music anymore.Sometimes frustrating.........YES................but so awesome and with tons of personality!

Well, funnily enough, I felt like they had become a little bit predictable lately. I welcome this kind of effort, and I can feel myself getting into it more with every listen.

Rock4ever

Reaction score
It's better than I originally gave it credit for.

The issue for me is vocals and keys are way into the forefront on this one, while the guitars, especially the rhythm sections seem pushed way to the back for much of the album.

piggins411

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to listen. I ....ing love this album. This is the album I've been waiting for from them for the last 6 years or so. Some great leads, and Labrie is fantastic. Really geeking out over here

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
I love it. It's definitely a 'different' album, a little less heavy and more operatic or orchestral, but it works. It is a very strong album as far as JLB's vocals, the piano is very strong, the story is decent (though its a bit sappy. We want blood!) and the melodies are super catchy. Can't wait to see this live.

JSanta

Reaction score
Anyone else hearing some Spock's Beard influence with the melodies and texturing? Reminds me a lot of Snow, which was/is a fantastic album.

I have not enjoyed a new DT album this much since SFAM!

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I have not ordered the CD yet, but I will very soon.

Just one more question to those who had a listen already: are there many heavy songs on it that go more into metal territory?

That is one thing I loved about Train Of Thought, it was a very heavy album!

')