New Egnater Armageddon! (Metal Amp content)

• Thread starter smucarolina
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
these amps just need time, time to see if they flourish or fall flat, you found the amp interesting enough, it could def have legs and really take off you never know, even i find the amp extremely interesting

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Well, as of today I've talked to several people in person who have previously owned Egnater amps and most of its was negative. I'll leave it at that. I still think its really cool but I don't know if its $2700 cool. Think I'll stick with my 6505 stack for now and follow what happens with the Armegeddon. Not like its a national emergency or anything, I guess the newness of it got me excited.

Ian Egnater

Reaction score
Well, as of today I've talked to several people in person who have previously owned Egnater amps and most of its was negative. I'll leave it at that. I still think its really cool but I don't know if its $2700 cool. Think I'll stick with my 6505 stack for now and follow what happens with the Armegeddon. Not like its a national emergency or anything, I guess the newness of it got me excited.

Unfortunately we went through some growing pains from growing quite quickly several years back, and that's where some bad rap came from. We have been making great strides in customer service though. To answer your question about talking to a real person though, I'm not hard to get a hold of, and Nate@egnateramps.com, and alex@egnateramps.com are in LA, and handle most of our customer service questions. I won't comment on our quality, since we all know it doesn't mean much coming from me, but I'll just say that if you ask around from any group of amp owners, you can find people who have had issues and are mad.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I went to the GC by me...they litterally have s corner full of egnater stuff....with no high gains to be found :(

I went over to friend who works there...and just pointed at the pile, said wtf....and he laughed and said I "i know we dont expect them for atleast 3 years" :( : lol:

fedtowolves

Reaction score
I know I might be bumping the dead but here we go:

When the tourmaster first came out, I(as well as the other guitarist in my band) were in the market for new amps. I was dead set on a laney vh100r, but after spending hours and hours with the tourmaster, both my other guitarist and I bought a full stack each.

We loved the amps, but they seem plagued with problems. Mine was the first to go. about 3 weeks into owning it, it stopped powering on. Gc couldnt figure it out so they swapped heads for me.
Around that same time, my other guitarists head developed an incredible hum that over powered playing. no matter the power source. gc replaced the head.

my 2nd amp develops this strange hum as well, i take it into gc and theyre stumped so they give me full store credit for what I had paid for it, since it had been over 30 days at this point.

I REALLY love the Armageddon, ive spent about 4 hours with it at my local gc but the quality issues i have experienced in the past with the MIC Egnater amps really scares me. :(

l_9a1dc25bc9504848b34856371c1078dd.jpg

#notsurewhattodo

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
I played both the Armaggedon and Vengance at GC... and walked away liking the Vengance more. It had more presence and bite to the tone... which I liked more. The Vengance was also pretty quiet... so I don't think I'd need the built-in ISP Decimator.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Yeah I could see myself being totally cool with the Vengeance, especially considering the price. Yeah I'd have to use my own Decimator, which is fine by me, and I wouldn't have MIDI, but I think finding a used G-Major would solve all issues for MIDI based effects and channel relay switching :)

But I'm content** with my T2 rig for now!

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
So I just came from playing one of these at Guitar Center. I have some mixed feelings about this head. The technology packed into it is great. I love the noise gate being built in, and it works incredibly well. I really had no issues understanding the features on the amp, so that goes a longs way to compliment the intuitiveness in the design. I think it certainly has a lot of usable gain. I'm not sure how I feel about the gain structure and the tone though. I was playing though an EBMM JP6, but high gain tones seemed dark for my taste. Even with the bright switch engaged, I had almost dime the treble and presence to feel like I was in normal territory. I felt like this with a lot of knobs. There just wasn't a wide sweep across the tonal spectrum. Everything felt quite focused in one area with not a lot of wiggle room.

That being said...the head does sound great, but it's just not quite in the ballpark of what I'd use personally.

GameOfRock

Reaction score
I was looking for a backup amp and I just tried one of these out and A/B'd it against a ENGL Powerball 2 (I have an original Powerball)...
First off It sounds huge and I disagree with you, there is room to wiggle if your looking for a varied range of Metal sounds which is what it's designed to do. I tried it with 6,7 and 8 strings and it delivered on each of them. I play in two bands, one Dream Theateresque and the other Death Metal and this was definately suited for both (NO POSTS ABOUT DEATH METALS LACK OF TONE!! LOL Things have come a long way!)
It looks like a solid workhorse should and stood up even when we maxed out the settings so I am seriously considering buying one v soon.

Another thing Egnater got me on was the 412 cabinet, with the straight slant design (it's wierd looking but sounds better than an my ENGL cab) and the direct XLR input... so no more mic infront of the cab, just run straight in and there are all the switches you would normally find on the direct stage box plus a switch that moves the mic position... Needless to say I bought the cab on the spot!

The thing I'm wondering is has anyone had any problems with Engaters falling down?? I mean just because it looks like a Workhorse doesn't mean it actually stands up...

pcb

Reaction score
I play live on my Armageddon...
About this amp, the sound is good, and it very comfortable, i play rhythm(lead) and clean sound(+chorus+delay), footswitch on this amp is awesome...

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
I just want to make a bump in this thread and said that i had my first rehearsal last weekend and my buddy played the Armageddon with his matching Cab and totally blew my 6505+ and 4x12 with V30 out of the water!

This amps sounds huge, brutal yet really defined with lots of harmonics.

I tweak all the way my peavey and there wasn't any way to stand up the Egnater, i just sounded fizz, cold and harsh while the other just was brutal.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I played the Venegance today. I told myself I'd have my 5150II as my main amp for the rest of forever. After getting done with the Venegance, it looks like I'm selling my 5150. Holy SHIT that amp is amazing!!!!

Has anybody had any experience with the emulated DI? Is it any good, or would it better to just send the effects send into an interface and use an IR?

N1h1l1ty

Reaction score
This is making me want to pull a trigger on a Vengeance so, so bad... I briefly owned a Tourmaster (for 3 months) and it was a phenomenal amp in terms of versatility - I still regret trading it for a Powerball (which I sold 2 weeks after trading for ... )

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
This is making me want to pull a trigger on a Vengeance so, so bad... I briefly owned a Tourmaster (for 3 months) and it was a phenomenal amp in terms of versatility - I still regret trading it for a Powerball (which I sold 2 weeks after trading for ... )

i wonder if Brian ended up with that tourmaster, he bought one used a few months ago in TO and loves it.

i personally would throw a boost in front of it, but other than that the tourmaster is a sick amp, and after hearing about that 5150 comparison, i really want to try one out like effing NOW

Pyramid Gallery

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
$1500, damn that's a great deal if it sounds good. TON of features. Midi, reverb, ch switching with loop and mid memory in footswitch, mid cut/boost, damn. Probably made in china, pcb-mounted tubes and pots, tons of ribbon cable, but if built to take abuse, who gives a shit. I say sound and features over cork-sniffery.

Confirmed. Great deal. OMFG.

Ambit

Beansack!
Reaction score
Jammed on the amp at GC for while, its GREAT. I'd use it live for sure.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I'm totally, 100% in love with my Vengeance. Probably one of the best gear purchases I've made in a few years. Now all I need is a case for it

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Bumping this thread back up - I was wondering how the gents who bought these a while back have been fairing with them as far as reliability goes. Any issues? Anyone have the amp die on them? :scratch: I noticed the price seems to have dipped from $1800 to $1700, wondering if eventually they will drop back down to $1500 like they were supposed to be priced when they were first released? :idea: I know, wishful thinking... :lol: They also don't seem to be in stock very often, not sure if it's due to production issues or something else, but 9 times out of 10 when I check on MF or another site no one has them in stock for weeks at a time. So current owners, care to share any information about how things have gone with your Armageddon since you've owned it? :D

Latest posts

')