New ENGL Ironball 20w = mean lunchbox amp head

• Thread starter mindwalker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

robertkoa

Reaction score
Yeah it's much more along those lines but definitely not as dark as the FB100. Just a really great sound man. The ENGL booth was packed with dudes drooling over it. It was one of the best amps we heard at the show. Really liked the new Diezel D-Moll and those Rhoads amps which I had never heard prior.

Zim- I was listening to the Demos, surprised by the super clean OR fatter cleans and the boosted singing Cleans on this -maybe the best Clean Channel on an ENGL ?

As I said I heard one guy get an EJ tone in a Demo but can this little Head also do some smooth 80s Rock Tones easily.

Also sounds warm enough for even Jazz tones?

Little hard to be sure from just Demos but am I getting this right ?

Kind of like a Mini Recto with more clarity ?

I hate graininess but only need about as much Gain as EJ, Gilmour, Blackmore-

Will Ironball do this with clear Gain [ no graininess ] ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Zim- I was listening to the Demos, surprised by the super clean OR fatter cleans and the boosted singing Cleans on this -maybe the best Clean Channel on an ENGL ?

As I said I heard one guy get an EJ tone in a Demo but can this little Head also do some smooth 80s Rock Tones easily.

Also sounds warm enough for even Jazz tones?

Little hard to be sure from just Demos but am I getting this right ?

Kind of like a Mini Recto with more clarity ?

I hate graininess but only need about as much Gain as EJ, Gilmour, Blackmore-

Will Ironball do this with clear Gain [ no graininess ] ?

Yes its a very punchy, warm, yet clear amp that has a wide range of usable gain stages. This is not like a Mini-Recto, its in a whole other league in my opinion and sounds as good as the full size ENGL heads in every way. I actually like it better than the Powerball frankly. Its more like a combination of the Fireball and the Blackmore, with its own touch.

1b4n3z

Reaction score
Here in Europe the choice is a no-brainer. Mesa Mini at 1333 euros vs. Ironball - 888 euros? I'll have two please :)

EDIT: Mesa had responded to competition - Mini Recto goes for 1290 euros. Guess Mesa isn't very interested in the European market?

Workhorse

Reaction score
I think people have seriously mistaken what the Ironball is. This is a German made serious high-end tube amp, its not a cheap made in China amp like the Orange Micro Terror. It's meant for professional recording, gigging, rehearsals. It's not a mass-produced bedroom amp. It is however a much less expensive alternate to a full-size ENGL head. I guarantee this thing would smoke any of its mini-head contemporaries. If on a tighter budget the Orange, HK, Egnator, etc are nice alternatives but they're not capable of the tone or performance that this can bring.

i know I am late as .... to the party but I have been checking this thing out. It is absolutely insane, nothing in its size compares (at least to what I have played).

Workhorse

Reaction score
It is steep....but someone will take the bate then tire of it....$700-$800 sounds good.:evil:

I am thinking if we wait a while, you can get it for that price. I wouldn't pay $1200 for it, but thats because of my budget and not the quality of the amp head (it is extremely high quality and the design is awesome). I think its the perfect thing for a practice session but can also be ready made for a gig or recording.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i know I am late as .... to the party but I have been checking this thing out. It is absolutely insane, nothing in its size compares (at least to what I have played).

In my honest to God opinion the Ironball is one of the very best sounding amps on the market irregardless of price or size. If more people had a chance to try these out (and could afford them), I think it would be taking over the world. It smokes everything else in its price range and even 99% of amps that cost twice as much. Everyone who has come down and tried one has geeked out over it. If only their Gigmaster was 1% as good as this thing.

I do wish it cost less, but its a serious professional amp made in Germany, and its 2013, so you cant win 'em all :)

1b4n3z

Reaction score
Dammit these testimonies make me really question my decision to go with Mesa Mini.. I love the tones but not so much the fact, that it's not really an apartment-friendly amp without some extra expenses.. I did try the Ironball at the store, but they only had Marshall cabs with T75's, and my rig at home is quite a bit different from them.

I guess I'll have to get one pretty soon regardless - they should be quite affordable used, once people have completed their trimonthly GAS cycle and they start popping up locally :> They're pretty cheap here in Europe, should be no more than €650 used (Mesa Minis go for €900-€1000)

mindwalker

Reaction score
Let me tell you.. I've tried the ironball and it's quite loud unless it's running at 1 watt mode. And even then you will have the master set low :)
But yeah it can be apartment friendly

Workhorse

Reaction score
In my honest to God opinion the Ironball is one of the very best sounding amps on the market irregardless of price or size. If more people had a chance to try these out (and could afford them), I think it would be taking over the world. It smokes everything else in its price range and even 99% of amps that cost twice as much. Everyone who has come down and tried one has geeked out over it. If only their Gigmaster was 1% as good as this thing.

I do wish it cost less, but its a serious professional amp made in Germany, and its 2013, so you cant win 'em all :)

What kind of cabinet would be best for it? I totally believe you, I tried that thing out and was completely taken aback by how powerful it was. Sensational amp.

Workhorse

Reaction score
Dammit these testimonies make me really question my decision to go with Mesa Mini.. I love the tones but not so much the fact, that it's not really an apartment-friendly amp without some extra expenses.. I did try the Ironball at the store, but they only had Marshall cabs with T75's, and my rig at home is quite a bit different from them.

I guess I'll have to get one pretty soon regardless - they should be quite affordable used, once people have completed their trimonthly GAS cycle and they start popping up locally :> They're pretty cheap here in Europe, should be no more than €650 used (Mesa Minis go for €900-€1000)

Yes I am definitely waiting till used models come out and are $900 or less. Also, any big time sales events might have great offers.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
What kind of cabinet would be best for it? I totally believe you, I tried that thing out and was completely taken aback by how powerful it was. Sensational amp.

I like using it with a nice 2x12, such as the ones from ENGL, Orange, Fryette, or similar quality cabinets. It sounds killer through 4x12s also of course. The demo unit we have at our shop is currently plugged into a Fryette Fatbottom 2x12. It would appear you're in Massachusetts as well? Check it out, you can plug it into any cabinets you want and see how it fairs with different types of speakers. We often can discount the demo units by the way.

Workhorse

Reaction score
I like using it with a nice 2x12, such as the ones from ENGL, Orange, Fryette, or similar quality cabinets. It sounds killer through 4x12s also of course. The demo unit we have at our shop is currently plugged into a Fryette Fatbottom 2x12. It would appear you're in Massachusetts as well? Check it out, you can plug it into any cabinets you want and see how it fairs with different types of speakers. We often can discount the demo units by the way.

I've been wanting to go to your shop for ages man, definitely going to get around to doing that. Thanks!

CaymanSMC

Reaction score
I have had my Ironball for about 2 months and it amazes me every time I play it. I agree with everything zimbloth has said about it. I have owned about every major amp brand made over the years and the Ironball just sounds good !!! This is the first ENGL I have owned.

It is very touch sensitive which lets you easily change the sound with your picking dynamics.

It has a huge amount of gain available even in the clean channel so you will not need any boost or overdrive pedals. Even with high gain it is very quiet when muted.

If all you play is clean then the Ironball is not a good choice. If you want an Amp that has a great crunch and screams on lead this is it.

')