New ENGL owner help! (Invader 100+Z9+midi)

• Thread starter Heineken
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Heineken

Blackened is the end
Reaction score
I hate posting things that I know have been covered, but I searched I swear lol.

I got an invader on the way and it will be my first go with midi, I'll be using the Z9 footswitch. I want to program my first 4 buttons to control the first four channels, and the last two to turn on/off the two FX loops.

From what I've read so far, I know I have to set the back slider switch to ENGL so it powers the Z9, and also connect the Z9 to the midi in port on the amp.

The rest is grey to me. Something like press the channel on the footswitch you want to save your patch to, change to the corresponding channel and other buttons you want to be on, then press the write button? Not sure of thats how easy it is, but if thats the case, how would I program the last two buttons to just turn on/off the fx loops (no matter which channel I'm on)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Khaine88

SS.org's Welsh Guy>
Reaction score
Porth, Rhondda Cynon Taff, South Wales, UK
Im having the Same dilemma with with mine, I have the invader already, Im just waiting for the Z9, but have no idea how im gonna be controlling everything >< also im running my FX pedals straight into the guitar in port, can anyone give me some info on using the FX loops? never really used them before ><, I Just want my OD-808 in there mind, seen as thats the only pedal ill need to turn off while in the other channels, seen as the noise gate and the compressor will stay on all the time, And I wanted the two switches to controll one FX loop and the other to comtrol the noise gate, but yea No idea what to do ><

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
It works just like a midi pedal then. Each pedal controls a patch. You'd need to set up individual channels like you did with the loop off. Then do more patches with the loop on. You have ten patches to use with that pedal, so you have plenty.

Heineken

Blackened is the end
Reaction score
but can i do patches that just turn on the loops though? Cause what I won't want is to have a channel attached to that function, just control loop on/off.

adadglgmut

Notes from a Ghost
Reaction score
but can i do patches that just turn on the loops though? Cause what I won't want is to have a channel attached to that function, just control loop on/off.

I'm not sure that will work... basically you can't ever turn BOTH loops off, just switch between them (ie. loop 1 w/ FX and loop 2 dry). I think (as far as I can tell with mine) the effects patch needs to be assigned to a specific channel setting.
Running your pedal via SAC might allow FX switching as Function 1 or Function 2 independent of everything else, but I've never tried it. I don't think you'll get the same midi control with this method.

Heineken

Blackened is the end
Reaction score
I read the Z9 manual, seems like connecting it via SAC might actually work the way I want but I'm not too sure. I hope my pedal comes with the stereo cable so I can test this, its brand new so I figure it should.

Deathbringer769

Reaction score
It comes with a nice, long stereo cable.. at least mine did. I just run the Z9 footswitch through the SAC port. First 4 buttons control the first 4 channels, stomp on the channel again to engage the second master volume for a solo boost or whatever you have it set for. Then my first function button switches the gate on/off, and the second function button switches between the FX loops.

Heineken

Blackened is the end
Reaction score
Well the setup of the Z9+Invader through SAC was alot easier than the manual made it seem (it could have been easily condensed). The Z9 manual talks about how to activate the setup mode, and the invader manual has a chart which explains how to assign different functions to the two function buttons on the z9.

I have my first 4 buttons controlling the 4 channels, stomping on the same channel a 2nd time activates the 2nd master volume (which I don't use), 5th button turns on/off hi-gain mode, 6th switches between the two fx loops.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
I prefer to use my Z-9 for the Invader in MIDI mode. I use certain channels with Bright on or off and high gain on or off....with the noise gate on certain channels and off others, but I pretty much just use one of the fx loops, because I constantly run my EQ pedal. I don't really switch master volumes much though, cause it's too much of a pain when gigging and the sound guy is always telling me to turn down :fawk: Too much effort to adjust 2 different masters. I just use channel 4 as my solo boost.

Darren James

Reaction score
Well the setup of the Z9+Invader through SAC was alot easier than the manual made it seem (it could have been easily condensed). The Z9 manual talks about how to activate the setup mode, and the invader manual has a chart which explains how to assign different functions to the two function buttons on the z9.

I have my first 4 buttons controlling the 4 channels, stomping on the same channel a 2nd time activates the 2nd master volume (which I don't use), 5th button turns on/off hi-gain mode, 6th switches between the two fx loops.

How does it sound? I'm curious :hbang:

Heineken

Blackened is the end
Reaction score
amazing dude, it solves all the complaints I've ever had with any amp I've owned previous to this one.

D1m3b4g

Reaction score
Hoping you guys are still around... have you ever had any issues switching between the FX Loops? Whenever I change between Loop1 and Loop2 (Assigned to channels 3 and 4 respectively) the entire sound on the amp cuts to nothing. I have to set it to standby to get any sound back on these channels... :(

Heineken

Blackened is the end
Reaction score
I'm still around, but I can't really comment here since I'm using the SAC port to switch between the fx loops.

I'm sure some one will chime in.

')