New ENGL product soon to be unveiled

• Thread starter Zado
  • Start date
  • Tags
    engl
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
When I go trawling used ads up here seems like every Mark for sale is a 25 or 35

I keep debating downsizing my setup a lot but I'm still insistent on big glass.. did they really crack the code and these tiny tube heads no longer suck? Or is it just that people are buying them, never having had a full size tube amp, so they don't know what they're missing

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Reaction score
Did they really crack the code and these tiny tube heads no longer suck? Or is it just that people are buying them, never having had a full size tube amp, so they don't know what they're missing
The only EL84 head I've played that didn't absolutely suck is the Ironball. For whatever reason, the 84s actually sound really good in that amp.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
When I go trawling used ads up here seems like every Mark for sale is a 25 or 35

I keep debating downsizing my setup a lot but I'm still insistent on big glass.. did they really crack the code and these tiny tube heads no longer suck? Or is it just that people are buying them, never having had a full size tube amp, so they don't know what they're missing

I have a full sized 90. I haven't cared for the 25/35 AT ALL when I've tried them in the past

but every time I see someone using them live they sound awesome 🤷‍♂️

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Soldano SLO 30 has 6L6s. Weighs 30 lbs.

It's not just big bottle tubes, you need some big iron too...

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've finally settled on big amps for me, but I will say: if you have a lunchbox amp, try an eq pedal in the loop. I have an 18 watt lunchbox and an eq in the loop makes it sound bigger. (But still not enough for gigs.)

Bearitone

Reaction score
I’ve only seen an Engl once in real life. Forgot what model. Played it briefly and there was nothing memorable about it.

I don’t even know how do describe the “Engl” sound other than maybe being more compressed than your average high gain head.

If I want to really comprehend the Engl sound, what should I listen to?

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve only seen an Engl once in real life. Forgot what model. Played it briefly and there was nothing memorable about it.

I don’t even know how do describe the “Engl” sound other than maybe being more compressed than your average high gain head.

Obscura is what I think of when I think typical engl sound, but I've definitely heard the savage get,...savage

Bearitone

Reaction score
To yourself playing through any Engl VST plugin. Never been easier!
I am a full boomer at heart. No audio interface, no daw. I’ve borrowed equipment and sat with a friend trying to figure how to play into the computer and we were there for hours. Finally got it to work but not without a full quarter-second of latency. Fruitless endeavor. Wanted to chuck everything out the window.

Used a Scarlet interface, some kind daw from Presonus, and actually paid for a Sturgis plug-in

Stiman

Reaction score
That's rough. It's unfortunate cause once you get it all working right, it's glorious.

It takes time investment, but I feel it was worth all the headaches in the end.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score

They always seem like an also-ran in modern metal recording but some absolute fuckin legends have run their stuff for decades. If it was good enough for Ritchie Blackmore and Marty Friedman ...

Engl sound to me though is very fuzzy. Lots of gain, everywhere, every frequency is distorted. Maybe they obscure the sound of the guitar a bit. They can struggle in a live mix because mids at or around 5, is not enough mids in a band context. A little clinical, definitely more than a Mesa but not nearly as sterile as a Diezel gets.

Kinda sucks I had an Invader back in the day and I want to try one again but they're so expensive, unpopular and hard to get here, I'll likely never have one again

Zado

Reaction score
It's a lunchbox sized Morse head. Got leaked early and promptly removed.
Sounds very cool indeed. Not sure about the appeal Engl amps have in the US due to price upcharge, but I'm glad they still stay strong with new tube amps.

Also I used to be allergic to lunchbox heads and EL84s loaded amps, but I just got an Orange Tiny Terror and it's so stupid loud and unfiltered sounding, and sounds so metal when boosted I don't even care anymore.

Zado

Reaction score
Engl sound to me though is very fuzzy. Lots of gain, everywhere, every frequency is distorted. Maybe they obscure the sound of the guitar a bit. They can struggle in a live mix because mids at or around 5, is not enough mids in a band context. A little clinical, definitely more than a Mesa but not nearly as sterile as a Diezel gets.
The only Engl amp that struggled (really did) in a band mix was the Powerball I. Great sounds alone, very brutal, but just EQed in the worst possible way for band stuff. Others are fine, nothing much worse than a Bogner

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They always seem like an also-ran in modern metal recording but some absolute fuckin legends have run their stuff for decades. If it was good enough for Ritchie Blackmore and Marty Friedman ...

Kinda sucks I had an Invader back in the day and I want to try one again but they're so expensive, unpopular and hard to get here, I'll likely never have one again

Has Blackmore ever actually used the ENGL for anything though? His last studio album not playing a lute was recorded when he might have had one in time or might not. He's done a handful of electric Rainbow live shows, but distorted guitar isn't really a primary concern in Blackmore's Night.

')