New ENGL product soon to be unveiled

• Thread starter Zado
  • Start date
  • Tags
    engl
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Has Blackmore ever actually used the ENGL for anything though? His last studio album not playing a lute was recorded when he might have had one in time or might not. He's done a handful of electric Rainbow live shows, but distorted guitar isn't really a primary concern in Blackmore's Night.
He was using the Savage to land that sig model in the first place but yeah not sure how much actually made it onto records after that.. especially in mega dollar productions like he would have enjoyed, who the hell knows

Edit: I could only find two pictures of Ritchie and engl amps in the same pic on Google... And the one is his live backline with no mic on the cab

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Has Blackmore ever actually used the ENGL for anything though? His last studio album not playing a lute was recorded when he might have had one in time or might not. He's done a handful of electric Rainbow live shows, but distorted guitar isn't really a primary concern in Blackmore's Night.

He was using the Savage to land that sig model in the first place but yeah not sure how much actually made it onto records after that.. especially in mega dollar productions like he would have enjoyed, who the hell knows

Edit: I could only find two pictures of Ritchie and engl amps in the same pic on Google... And the one is his live backline with no mic on the cab
It wasn't for very long but yeah, he used it for both Rainbow reunions in the 90s and the 2010s. Stranger In Us All, the following tour, and the 2010s reunion stuff was all done with Engl Sovereign 100s, the old one that had the Savage faceplate.

Soooo I guess it is true he still really likes them if he still used them after a 20 year gap lol

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It wasn't for very long but yeah, he used it for both Rainbow reunions in the 90s and the 2010s. Stranger In Us All, the following tour, and the 2010s reunion stuff was all done with Engl Sovereign 100s, the old one that had the Savage faceplate.

Soooo I guess it is true he still really likes them if he still used them after a 20 year gap lol

Or he liked the royalties. For a lot of the Rainbow stuff a lot of his tone came from the TP-1011 boost anyways :2c:

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Even if he didn’t use it it definitely was a standout of their releases, even folks that don’t really like ENGLs seemed to like that one lol

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Can someone riddle me why this 100 watt Blackmore is going for $1150 new and has sat for a month? I've seen in like 5 times, probably not the amp for me, but 100 watt anything new for $1150 has me looking:

What am I missing?

Probably it being an EU model, where they are quite plentiful and priced a bit lower?

Something else is that it says "v2", but I've seen a new refresh where they have gold panels. Not sure if that's v3 or just a different aesthetic direction they're going in now.

Actually here's one, B-stock, but even cheaper:

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably it being an EU model, where they are quite plentiful and priced a bit lower?

Something else is that it says "v2", but I've seen a new refresh where they have gold panels. Not sure if that's v3 or just a different aesthetic direction they're going in now.

Actually here's one, B-stock, but even cheaper:
Dang, $1k for a 100 watt amp is a really good deal.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score

BabUShka

Reaction score
Here in Norway the Blackmore, Fireball and PB all goes for the simular price - around $700 used. While a Dual Recto would go for twice and a Mark V 25 would go for 3x the price.

I only owned the FB60 and PB. They do sound very special compared to other amps. While the FB is super aggressive, tight and spotting fire. The PB sounds rounder, bigger and even more compressed. While the FB has a lot of hiss, the PB has nothing of that.

Would love to see a Savage 25 though.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Can someone riddle me why this 100 watt Blackmore is going for $1150 new and has sat for a month? I've seen in like 5 times, probably not the amp for me, but 100 watt anything new for $1150 has me looking:

What am I missing?
It's in Europe where Engls are considered cheap and plentitul. I've always heard Engl called the European Peavey. Also it's 230v and I don't think a lot of people want an amp shipped overseas lol

Also I might be wrong but that seems pretty high for a Blackmore in Europe?

CWill91x

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"Small" amps with "big" tubes: EVH 5150 Iconic 15& 40w combos (6L6)
Marshall DSL20HR (2x el34) & ENGL FIREBALL 25H (2x6L6)
I made the mistake of buying the DSL 20 because of this reason. I used it for a while struggling to ever get it to sound anything but harsh in all the wrong ways, and never tight enough for low tunings. I thought at first it was just the G12H30s in my EVH cab that were to blame so I switched to a V30/Creamback pairing and still don’t like this amp for metal. It’s ok for modern pop punk type stuff, and would probably do well for standard tuned thrash stuff, running my helix into the power amp and using the Friedman or Peavey models has been my main use of the amp ever since I got the Helix. If you’re gonna buy a DSL, either go used and get an actual JCM 2000, or get the 100 watt, it’s just so much better.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Preamp pedal incoming, I reckon. They've seen other companies printing.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying the DSL 20 because of this reason. I used it for a while struggling to ever get it to sound anything but harsh in all the wrong ways, and never tight enough for low tunings.
You need to boost it to get tight enough (as most of the high-gain amps).

CWill91x

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You need to boost it to get tight enough (as most of the high-gain amps).
I boosted it with an SD-1 and a Seymour Duncan 805 and neither made it tight enough for anything below about drop B. It was ok there and up but still had a very grating top end compared to the DSL100.

')