New Ernie Ball 8-string set...

• Thread starter Toejam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Finally!

I think someone at EB actually picked up an instrument strung with the 10-74 set and realised what a hopeless joke it was.

This set actually sounds... functional!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
Finally!

I think someone at EB actually picked up an instrument strung with the 10-74 set and realised what a hopeless joke it was.

This set actually sounds... functional!

You know, sometimes I wonder if manufacturers actually try out their own products... one of my favourite examples would be Jackson with the Rhoads and Kelly guitars, if anyone at Jackson had actually EVER tried to play one of them over the last 30 years they'd have noticed the neckdive makes them annoying to play and might have redesigned them. With string sets, it's the same, do they actually try their god damn sets ? I know that string sets usually go 26 36 46 56 because it looks cool to have all numbers end with 6 but the tensions don't match at all and for me it's very annoying to play...

I expect products to make sense, hence why I don't buy stuff very often.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I actually find the Kelly to be the most comfortable guitar to play in a standing position of anything I've ever played and have never thought them to be prone to neck dive... but that aside I am inclined to agree with your point.

Then again, people love them. They love their Vs, they love their SGs (never met an SG that didn't want it's headstock on the floor).

I really, truly do wonder if someone from EB (or D'Addario or whoever) actually does sit down and play these things because these sets with 64 (!!!) - 74 low strings are pretty much non-functional to me. Even with a 29.4" scale I am using a 76 for low E and I feel like I could use a bit more tension at times.

Dominoes282

Mixing Engineer
Reaction score
Definitely better than what I've seen everyone else offer, but I don't think I could go back from kalium.

The best set I've gotten for my eight is CircleK/Kalium strings. Most balanced set I've come across, and has a great tone. Customer service is unparalleled too. Once they sent me the wrong gauges for the low three strings and I messaged Skip and they promptly sent out not only the correct strings but another set free! That's an awesome company.

GreatWhiteYeti

Reaction score
I'm happy to see that there is another string set out there. I remember when you couldn't find anything. Ever. At all.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I'm the only person on the planet who actually prefers the .10-.74 set to Circle K/etc but I'm curious to try this out.

lewis

Reaction score

Im desperate for these and Im in the UK.....this better not be one of these well the US are getting them fine...YET AGAIN to go along with Circle K and all the other awesome companies....meanwhile us progressive 8 string players over here have to continually custom set up strings that usually incl a Bass string low...or better yet buy them from the US and wait way too long and spend too much money on every re string.

These better be available over here soon because there is the BIGGEST gap in the market for these. I need them in my life

Luppin

Reaction score
Very cool! How do you think the 64 matches up with the 80, though?

Sorry for the late response! For standard tuning I feel like the 64 and 80 match up decent enough all things considered but when in drop tuning (I'm in drop F) there is a slightly noticeable mismatch

Toejam

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response! For standard tuning I feel like the 64 and 80 match up decent enough all things considered but when in drop tuning (I'm in drop F) there is a slightly noticeable mismatch
Thanks! That helps. Seems like it would be a pretty good set for my DC800, and I only use standard tuning anyway.

lewis

Reaction score
guna bump this.

I want to know If anyone knows when they are hitting the UK?. I got my local music shop to email their Ernie Ball UK distributor and the email back was the UK Ernie Ball distributor didnt even know these sets existed?

pirate_shanty

7 String V.
Reaction score
guna bump this.

I want to know If anyone knows when they are hitting the UK?. I got my local music shop to email their Ernie Ball UK distributor and the email back was the UK Ernie Ball distributor didnt even know these sets existed?

I emailed them direct and they are looking in to this for me. I sent him the link for amazon and he told me they were only being sold to Schecter. He has said that he will pass it on and monitor its demand and we should hopfully have them in a few weeks. :yesway:

lewis

Reaction score
I emailed them direct and they are looking in to this for me. I sent him the link for amazon and he told me they were only being sold to Schecter. He has said that he will pass it on and monitor its demand and we should hopfully have them in a few weeks. :yesway:

Sweet job dude!! :hbang: Im so hoping this does happen. They are the perfect set for me on my RG8 in Drop F. About time we had usable and somewhat balanced 8 string sets in this country. How we havent until now is pretty :scratch: to say the least.

:yesway:

Estilo

Reaction score
Will any guitar shop in the states ship to Southeast Asia? I'm stoked an all but it might all be for nought as supply here is pathetic..

')