New Ernie Ball 8-string set...

• Thread starter Toejam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm annoyed. You can already buy the 9 string set off of the EB website, but not the 8 string set. Is the set on amazon actually from EB or are we just being scammed there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Schectersilence

Reaction score
For us in the UK, you can buy single 80s direct from EB, but the set isn't on their site yet.

Speaking of such things, they have a 90 single as well, but for phantom bass. Does anyone know if that works for a guitar? Or is 80 all we get so far from EB?

Toejam

Reaction score
I'm annoyed. You can already buy the 9 string set off of the EB website, but not the 8 string set. Is the set on amazon actually from EB or are we just being scammed there?

I'm annoyed, too! They're on ebay from the same dealer on amazon, so I think it's legit.
I did email my local Guitar Center, and they said they spoke to EB and that they could order them and have them delivered to the store for me. I'd rather just buy them direct from EB, though, and not have to set foot in GC as I can't really stand that place.

Reaction score
I'm annoyed, too! They're on ebay from the same dealer on amazon, so I think it's legit.
I did email my local Guitar Center, and they said they spoke to EB and that they could order them and have them delivered to the store for me. I'd rather just buy them direct from EB, though, and not have to set foot in GC as I can't really stand that place.

I'm about to make the risk and buy a pack off amazon. If it IS fake, I'll only be losing like 9 dollars. I'll post back here on if the strings are legit or not.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope they do the 9 set. Its impossible to get anything over here and trying to find single strings to make a set is a joke.

pahulkster

Reaction score
Ordered the set on Amazon. Will post how it goes. I think I'm going to have to modify my tuners for the B and F#, though.

pahulkster

Reaction score
Set came pretty quick. Looks good, but I haven't put them on yet. Hopefully my tuners don't give me too much of an issue. Interested to see how the .080 is on my 25.5" scale.

Edited. I didn't have to modify my tuner. The tapered section of the .080 is really long. On the single EB strings I used to get the taper was like three inches. It was huge on this set. .080 doesn't fit in my tuner but it lines up almost dead on for the amount of wrapping I want for the low strings. The tension is much better than where I was previously. Will order the set again.

lewis

Reaction score
I hope they do the 9 set. Its impossible to get anything over here and trying to find single strings to make a set is a joke.

Mate I share your pain totally.... its a total joke. I asked multiple music shops and they contacted their Ernie Ball UK distributors and even that end direct no one even heard about 8 string sets :noway: its a total joke. Trying to make up sets using singles is just as tiresome and expensive. Get stuck using the bloody 10-74s all the time. Thing is Im using Drop G on my 8 so the high G cannot take a 10 without breaking on a 27inch scale.

When will we catchup

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Don't know about drop G - but for standard or drop E, the Curt Mangan 8 set is great and can be ordered direct from their website for a reasonable price (I'm in Australia and even with shipping the price was good).

There are two different sets - one is pretty much the 10-74 set, and there is a heavier one at 11-84 (i think!) which is a really well thought out string set.

AJS

Reaction score
For us in the UK, you can buy single 80s direct from EB, but the set isn't on their site yet.

Speaking of such things, they have a 90 single as well, but for phantom bass. Does anyone know if that works for a guitar? Or is 80 all we get so far from EB?

You can get a .090, but it is branded as a Bass VI string. They also have .105s for the 9 string set.

Reaction score
Okay, so the set came in today.

It came in that cheap unsealed pack that will allow the strings to corrode if left in storage for too long. Not a big deal unless you decide to buy in bulk, and there is also the possibility to get a set already rusting if the distribute decides to ship an old pack. Other than that, they are legit EB strings, and play just like you would expect EB to play.

I personally had to unwind the B and F# strings because Ltd didn't expect ERG players to use thick strings. (Seriously a .64 couldn't even fit, the f*ck LTD?). A bit time consuming on my part, but not the strings fault.

Now that I've had some time with them and stretched them out, I can say they are great playing. the .80 works great with Drop E with a shorter 25.5" scale like I have. The 64 is a bit tight for B, but I drop it to A anyway, so it's perfect. Jumping from 64 to 46 for the E kind of confused my fingers for a bit there, but I adjusted pretty quickly. Leads are still silky smooth and the low end is nice and tight.

Over all I'd rate it an 8.5/10 as it's a great set and amazing for the price you would be paying. 8.5 only because I can't just go and buy them from the store either online or at GC personally. I definitely recommend this set to anyone who wants a decently balanced 8 string set. The tone is great as well, very nice and bright and articulate. And also, DAT PRICE. Every other set I've ordered was at least 12 dollars (including custom sets) plus shipping. So far, the Ebay and Amazon distributors are shipping for free, and that's amazing for those like me who don't buy in bulk.

This all being said, I hope EB starts shipping this set to stores in their anti-corrosion packaging. I think they could definitely profit from this set. +1 to EB.

Schectersilence

Reaction score
You can get a .090, but it is branded as a Bass VI string. They also have .105s for the 9 string set.

What is a Bass VI? Is it useable in an RG2228? Also, is it tapered? I'd be really interested in trying a .090 as I just bought a .080 from d'addario and it isn't quite thick enough. Essentially I've made up a set from singles which, as has been said, is ridiculous. I'm bulk ordering Circle K or La Bella at some point for just this reason!

Can you get the 9 string set in the UK?

REwire

Reaction score
I put them on my Agile Intrepid and Schecter Damien Platinum and didn't like the jump from 64 to 46 so I opened some unused 7 String heavy string packs and replaced the 46 to 48 and the 34 to 36. Much more balanced now but I don't think I'll order these again and look for a more even set.

Dan

the.godfather

Mr. Flibble
Reaction score
May have to try this set on my DC800 when I can. They seem like pretty much the perfect gauges across the board. I've never ever found the right blend on that guitar. I will miss them being Elixir Nanowebs though.

Toejam

Reaction score
I personally had to unwind the B and F# strings because Ltd didn't expect ERG players to use thick strings. (Seriously a .64 couldn't even fit, the f*ck LTD?). A bit time consuming on my part, but not the strings fault.
Is the F# string not tapered? The 74 from their other 8-string set was tapered.

Latest posts

')