New floyd...

• Thread starter Mark. A
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
No, Thats exactly what I meant, Psychologically to me it feels stronger because its not a thin piece of shit like Lo TRS's... OFR is basically a Lo TRS with a different name on it, whatever way you look at it, and a OFR will always be exactly a TRS to me, with a different name on it. Psychologically.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
No, Thats exactly what I meant, Psychologically to me it feels stronger because its not a thin piece of shit like Lo TRS's... OFR is basically a Lo TRS with a different name on it, whatever way you look at it, and a OFR will always be exactly a TRS to me, with a different name on it. Psychologically.

The TRS doesn't come anywhere's near an OFR dude.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
nick I think you should just get a kahler

even if the OFR base plate is thinner, the materials are like 5000 times better

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
The TRS doesn't come anywhere's near an OFR dude.

Well if you would of read it, Thats why its PSYCHOLOGICAL to me, I associate OFRs to being the same as TRS's.. Every OFR I picked up, I go to my conditioning in my head of owning a Lo TRS for years, and that thin plate = CRAP, so therefor OFR = Crap to me.

I dont need a trem (other than extra Lopro7s, can never have enough), just saying I rather have a EPII than a OFR

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
well, there IS a quality difference, and as much as i love my edges, i'll be the FIRST to admit that a OFR would easily stomp a EPII. If you want an Edge Pro type bridge, just get the EP instead of the EPII.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The TRS is made of pot-metal, it's garbage IMO. The OFR and Gotoh are made of hardened steel.

The Edge Pro II is made out of the same base metal as the TRS, except for the knife-edges. You're swapping a TRS for something that's only slightly better.

It's your money/time though, so go ahead.

jtm45

Reaction score
I'd love to try one of the Kahler 7's.

The only thing that bothers me is that i'd really like to get the Kahler Pro 7 but the locking screw thing really appeals to me and only the Kahler Hybrid 7's have those.
I reckon the Hybrid will be a good buy for the money though.
They've got a few different versions of each of the different Kahler Pro 7 and 8 string trems on the Kahler site now,with different cams and saddles and stuff.
The Pros are around $400 each though.:eek:

I really wish they made a 7 string version of the 3330 fixed Kahler bridge,the one Dave Mustaine used on a lot of his signature models.Awesome bridge!

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I think they've updated the Pro designs to include the locking screw. I'd highly recommend calling or emailing them about it. I've received great communication from them, and I'm very happy with the 7-string Hybrid I got from them.

Ryan

Reaction score
I have a Schaller on my Charvel. I love the feel of it. It's so damn sturdy and chunky lol

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
I have a Charvel floyd made by Schaller, and I compared it side by side with my OFR, and the only discernable difference is that the base plate on the Charvel is slightly thinner. It's a very solid trem.

I'm not too heavily into trem-work though, so it's kind of a moot point for me ;D

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
i dont think either of them are, actually.

The first one is double locking. It describes and shows pictures of a single locking, but in the pic of the actual bridge you can see it has clamps and everything.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score

The OFR is case hardened steel. You could drive nails with the baseplate of a Floyd, which is why they don't use inserts. The inserts used on the Edge are made of the same material the entire Floyd baseplate is made of. It sounds like your id needs to take your superego out back and kick the shit out of him.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
These are supposedly very nice, with just a few minor differences from the OFR.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
These are supposedly very nice, with just a few minor differences from the OFR.

I wanna see one in person... I remember Ping's tuners being absolute junk, but that was 4 years ago, they could've improved a lot.

Still, OFR's are so f'ing cheap now, there's no point in buying anything else aftermarket.

Gotoh's trem is also a stupidly good deal, as it's hardened steel, with rounded saddles and the angled "whale tail" like an Edge. Oh yeah, locking studs, and a spring-lock system as well. I think they're like $130, and this is what I'd buy if I had to replace one of my Edges(new Edge trems cost more than an 80's guitar with one :lol: ).

')