New Fortin Amps? Cali, Monolith

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, FWIW, not impressed with the Cali sound at all. Not sure it's the venue or what, but I'm surprised that I heard the Hiwatt Fortin and thought "Hell Yeas!" and everything else has been "meh", even though they must all be rather small tweaks on the same circuit? Maybe it's just how guys are dialing them in?

Could be because the Hiwatt is a very different circuit compared to the Jose modded Marshall the Cali, Meshuggah, etc are based on. That's assuming the Hiwatt is in fact a hotrodded Hiwatt design and not another Marshall variant under the hood.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is Fortin pretty much just an amp builder for celebrity players? Seems impossible to order an amp now. Iean you can get a pedal, I guess.

Last edited:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is Fortin pretty much just an amp builder for celebrity players? Seems impossible to order an amp now. Iean you can get a pedal, I guess.
After selling the Natas and Meathead to Randall, yeah he hasn't built a lot of amps. Not even the Meshuggah amps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm fine with Fortin not building amps, let em design all he wants then have the designs built some place affordable.

made in China Fortins when

Cali ain't sounding good in that demo though. way, way, way too much gain

Werecow

Reaction score
I'm fine with Fortin not building amps, let em design all he wants then have the designs built some place affordable.

made in China Fortins when

Cali ain't sounding good in that demo though. way, way, way too much gain

I was hoping he'd get BAD to make them and distribute them, to at least keep the quality up. Ordering directly from him would incur large import fees for me. But instead it went the other way and there's been zero mention of not only how to get the amp, but zero mention it even exists on his website, when the new pedals were put straight on there.

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
I ordered a Bones about two years ago and this was just as he was getting heavily into the pedals. After several pushed back delivery dates Mike offered me a refund and I took it. Really would have liked to have a Bones but I end up a PoweredByOmega Iriduim that is amazing so it all worked out.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There were the Meshuggah limited runs of 100 or 150 amps total and the Hiwatt and that has been it since he left Randall. Mike also pretty much told me when we were exchanging messages about the Meshuggah that he had no intention of offering anything other than bank wire for payment going forward and that if that lost him customers he wasn't worried about it. That was six months ago or so so it may change, but he seemed pretty set on it at the time.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
I think the Satan is the Fortin Satan, the Thrasher is closer to a NATAS and the 667 is the Meathead. The Satan is a NATAS mod.

Since I traded my Archon, I've been looking for a new amp. The 667 looked really nice.but I've not heard that it can get a moreodern tone.

Ola Englund

Reaction score
Not sure regarding the Monolith, but what I asked for Mike 2 years ago was basically a 50W version of the Fortin Satan. It's a crushing power amp, no compromising on the transformer and parts either. They all fit in that box.

jco5055

Reaction score
i dont get fortin

My very general sense is Fortin is the "master" at high gain/brutality. Like if your goal was to get the most crushing sound ever you'd look at his products. Not to say his stuff can't be versatile, but when you look at something like the Meshuggah that's only single channel I think we know why so many people wanted one.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My very general sense is Fortin is the "master" at high gain/brutality. Like if your goal was to get the most crushing sound ever you'd look at his products. Not to say his stuff can't be versatile, but when you look at something like the Meshuggah that's only single channel I think we know why so many people wanted one.

Good marketing? :lol:

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Marketing seems to be Fortin’s number one strength in my opinion.

In other NAMM news

42BC2AAE-D300-42EB-82FB-63ED7FC022FE.jpeg

I wonder why the tape over the Meshuggah logo on the amp in the back?

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Probably because they got in trouble over it and had to change it for the mater runs.

Good point, looking closer, the outline does look like the Marshall script logo rather than the redone Meshuggah logo.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Marketing seems to be Fortin’s number one strength in my opinion.

In other NAMM news

View attachment 66567

I wonder why the tape over the Meshuggah logo on the amp in the back?
marketing is definitely their strong suit, considering how people went apeshit over the grind 2.0, 33, zuul, the meshuggah amp, fortin plugin. Definitely doesn't hurt that mike knows his way around a marshall amp and how to tweak it in a slightly different way from the other guys out there doing that exact thing (ie basically everyone that makes or mods amps).