New Fortin Amps? Cali, Monolith

Meeotch

Reaction score
To his credit, I bought the Zuul because to me it's the best gate on the market. Sold my decimator g-string for it. I don't have any experience with his amps but certainly curious.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
marketing is definitely their strong suit, considering how people went apeshit over the grind 2.0, 33, zuul, the meshuggah amp, fortin plugin. Definitely doesn't hurt that mike knows his way around a marshall amp and how to tweak it in a slightly different way from the other guys out there doing that exact thing (ie basically everyone that makes or mods amps).

Mike is great at slightly tweaking what other guys have done... Each of his amps bears striking similarities to stuff other guys have done, specifically the Elan Metalhead, Larry Dino, a Cameron one off Jose which was what Ceriatone copied for the Chupacabra, etc.

Zero argument that his stuff sounds great though.

I really do need to get around to opening up my Zuul and comparing it to the gate circuit from the Elan amps.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Mike is great at slightly tweaking what other guys have done... Each of his amps bears striking similarities to stuff other guys have done, specifically the Elan Metalhead, Larry Dino, a Cameron one off Jose which was what Ceriatone copied for the Chupacabra, etc.

Zero argument that his stuff does sounds great though.

I really do need to get around to opening up my Zuul and comparing it to the gate circuit from the Elan amps.
I think people vastly underestimate how similar a lot of amps are. Remember how everybody got butthurt about the dual rectifier basically being a "copy' of the SLO, while the 5150 got off scott free? Or how the mark comes from the bassman, marshalls all derive from fender, etc. It's like pedals, there's metric tons of crosspollination/outright copying since most of the older circuits aren't protected in any way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Zero argument that his stuff sounds great though.

Which one of his amps is "based" on the Metalhead?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually forget I said anything, otherwise we'll end up attracting the fanboy army to swarm the site and a new account from the serial troll that has turned another forum into a complete shit hole :rofl:

Mike is a total genius that never copies anything or makes blatantly false statements.

jco5055

Reaction score
Actually forget I said anything, otherwise we'll end up attracting the fanboy army to swarm the site and a new account from the serial troll that has turned another forum into a complete shit hole :rofl:

Mike is a total genius that never copies anything or makes blatantly false statements.

You don't tire from seeing a smirking James Comey avatar?:lalala:

JerEvil

Reaction score
I did a vid of the Cali at NAMM. It was the first time trying the Fortin stuff. It’s pretty ridiculous... in a good way. It was slot of fun to play. I never tried any of the Randall stuff so not sure what’s what with those.

I got an impromptu with the Super-Hi as well but somehow I didn’t notice the kid at the Hiwatt booth taped the mic to what ended up being damn near the center of the cone so it came out a little bright. The Super-Hi is bitchin though. Punchy as all getout in that room. Josh from Cattle Decapitation is using these and has a demo coming. Guitar in this vid is a Reverend. Low output buckers...

Fortin seems to be s very polarizingbrand. People either love it or hate it. I thought both amps were pretty bad ass.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the Satan is the Fortin Satan, the Thrasher is closer to a NATAS and the 667 is the Meathead. The Satan is a NATAS mod.
Is the Diavlo also based on the NATAS?

Werecow

Reaction score
Has anyone here ordered a Fortin? Can you tell me how the ordering process goes? And how you're supposed to stay in touch with them in the ordering process, or even ask questions before you buy? I can't find any sort of contact details on the website at all, no telephone number, no email address, not even a postal address.

This is a serious question by the way, not a rant.

kingpinMS3

dumb, but harmless
Reaction score
Has anyone here ordered a Fortin? Can you tell me how the ordering process goes? And how you're supposed to stay in touch with them in the ordering process, or even ask questions before you buy? I can't find any sort of contact details on the website at all, no telephone number, no email address, not even a postal address.

This is a serious question by the way, not a rant.
https://www.fortinamps.com/contact/

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The Diavlo was an existing Randall design that Mike hotrodded... they actually sold the modded 50w version before they got the production line running for the newer version.

Yup. IIRC the Diavlo was originally a mini-ish versatile hot rodded Marshall-esque 50w deal. It wasn't meant to be a super tight modern metal head.

Then when Mike came in, he tweaked the circuit and that replaced the original circuit. (was pretty much the first amp with their collaboration. Lasse Lammert has a video of the "modded* Diavlo on his channel). Then they eventually released the revamped line of Diavlos and replaced it with 1w, 5w, 20w, 45w, and 100w (3ch version) versios.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
The Diavlo was an existing Randall design that Mike hotrodded... they actually sold the modded 50w version before they got the production line running for the newer version.
So the current Diavlo lineup is fortin modded?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the current Diavlo lineup is fortin modded?

They're based on a Randall design with Fortin's design changes. Fortin currently has nothing to do with Randall so it's not like they're shipping amps to them and he's modding them.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
They're based on a Randall design with Fortin's design changes. Fortin currently has nothing to do with Randall so it's not like they're shipping amps to them and he's modding them.
Yeah, sorry that’s what I meant. I ask because I tried a Satan and a Diavlo and I found their gain sound to have a lot of similar characteristics. But I don’t know enough about amps to know what that means.