New Gibson 2014 Range Announced

morethan6

Reaction score
Yo,

Couldn't see a post on here for this - apologies if there is one!

Looks like Gibson have announced their new range for next year - no specific models up yet but looks like DV247 have an overview on the go - it's being updated right now so I'd assume there is more specifics to follow.

Gibson 2014 Guitars and Basses Announced | DV247

Looks cool - lots of stuff to take more time looking over and develop GAS for...:)

What do we reckon then?

:metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
nawww no pics :(

looks good tho, but:

" In a bold move, the Gibson Les Paul Standard is only available with the Min-Etune mechanical tuning system"
Booooooo gibson. boooooooo

morethan6

Reaction score
Yeah man saw that - I think the Trad is basically a STD with normal tuners though?

Hopefully more pics will follow :)

xzyryabx

Reaction score
Gibson jst don't get it.
All we want is a well-built standard w/ high QC + an explorer w/o a pickguard.
How hard is that?!!
Didn't they already fall on their asses with the robo-tuners in the past?!

Reactions: Nag

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Gibson-Les-Paul-2014-Range.jpg

Curious about the LPM, revamped Melody Maker, Les Paul Studio Pro, and the Les Paul Peace.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
So the Melody Maker becomes the Junior, the LPJ is a Junior, but it's got the Studio range appointments, the Studio is bumped up a bit with almost Standard-like looks and the Standard is definitely not standard anymore? Eeerrrrr... :scratch:

Not that it doesn't look good 'n all, I'm just wondering why they feel the need to stir the pot like this.

Skullet

Reaction score
Les Paul Signature is the only one sticking out to me . However i wont judge till i see the whole gibson range :)

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
Gibson jst don't get it.
All we want is a well-built standard w/ high QC + an explorer w/o a pickguard.
How hard is that?!!
Didn't they already fall on their asses with the robo-tuners in the past?!

You´re so right, oh and i hope the will finally bring out a decent looking V which they never did !

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
and heres gibson serving up a big steaming pile of "meh".

that light blue classic looks kinda nice though

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
So the Melody Maker becomes the Junior, the LPJ is a Junior, but it's got the Studio range appointments

The LPJ is nothing like a Junior? It's more like a Studio - the body is about twice as thick as a Junior and it has humbuckers and a tune-o-matic bridge.

The Melody Maker has a kind of Les Paul Special vibe (essentially a 2-pickup Junior) which always appeals to me. P-90s are tr00.

The LP Signature looks cool too, like that one a lot. It has a bit of a 70s vibe.

MatthewK

Reaction score
If they could please just release a non-studio buckethead signature again I would be pretty psyched.

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Yeah man saw that - I think the Trad is basically a STD with normal tuners though?

Hopefully more pics will follow :)

Nope. Standard has a circuit board rather than hand wiring, locking tuners, asymmetrical 60s neck rather than 50s, Burstbuckers rather than 57 Classics, chambering rather than weight relief..... I think that covers it. Well, other than the Min-E-tune thing.

I think Gibson gets shit on way too much on these forums, but adding the least popular feature to the most popular model is ....ing retarded. They shouldn't be surprised when they don't sell many Standards. I sold very few Min-E-tune equipped Gibsons this year, and I sold a lot of Gibsons.. Oh well I guess. Always liked the Traditional's specs more anyways.

If they'd make a 60s Traditional again I'd buy one.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Melody Maker/Les Paul Special (dunno why they feel they have to change the names around) looks awesome, and the LPJ (Studio?) looks like great value for the money. For some reason, i like the more stripped-down, workhorse Les Pauls without all the fancy wood and binding.

Not a fan of that 120th Anniversary 12th fret plaque on EVERYTHING. At all.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
So the Melody Maker becomes the Junior, the LPJ is a Junior, but it's got the Studio range appointments, the Studio is bumped up a bit with almost Standard-like looks and the Standard is definitely not standard anymore? Eeerrrrr... :scratch:

Be thankful there is no GII line. :D

Disappointed it's still LPs and SGs though. Explorers get no love.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Impressed that they've not only kept prices steady but seem to have brought them down for a lot of models. Gibsons aren't really my thing these days but it looks like some good stuff. :yesway:

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
Okay, here's my ignorance on Les Paul's shinning through and this is an honest question but other than the obvious aesthetic differences between the various models what varies? There seems to be so many that, on the surface, appear the same. Don't they all have 24 3/4 scale, mahogany neck, mahogany body(with or without maple cap), rosewood or ebony fingerboards and two pickups with two tone controls, two volume controls and a three way toggle switch. Do the fingerboard radius, fret size and other non-obvious details change between models?

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Okay, here's my ignorance on Les Paul's shinning through and this is an honest question but other than the obvious aesthetic differences between the various models what varies? There seems to be so many that, on the surface, appear the same. Don't they all have 24 3/4 scale, mahogany neck, mahogany body(with or without maple cap), rosewood or ebony fingerboards and two pickups with two tone controls, two volume controls and a three way toggle switch. Do the fingerboard radius, fret size and other non-obvious details change between models?

Necks, fretboard radius, tuners, pickups, wiring (coil taps, phasing, circuit boards), binding, chambering vs. weight relief, fretboard wood, quality of figured wood, and finish sum up the differences.

Gibson no longer uses ebony, by the way.

The only thing that remains the same is the mahogany body and scale length.

Latest posts