New grampa's guitars day (Ibanez AEL207 content)

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
pics first:
I picked up the new Ibanez AEL207 yesterday. Have been enjoying quite a bit so far.

The good: Jumbo body and mahogany neck give this guitar quite a bit of projection; action is very comfrotable (it is an Ibanez); built in tuner is spot on with my Korg; 1/4" and XLR jacks for connecting to amps, DI boxes, or straight to the board; and it's an acoustic steel stringed 7!

The bad: stock strings aren't spectacular (easy fix, med set of Red brands + .65 Phospher Bronze DR en route from justrings.com), high gloss black finnish shows finger prints very easily (though looks very sharp when clean), cutaway robs some tone (but makes up for tone loss in added playability)

Conclusion: For the price, really good deal. For the most part, what i don't like about this guitar stock are easy fixes. It's my own personal preference to not like cutaways or any finnish other than natural on an acoustic, and maple may not be to everyone's liking, but as a jumbo player this guitar felt right at home for me both tonaly and ergonomically. I would like to hear it with my favorite set of copper bronze/ phosphor bronze large gauge low B set of strings, but i have been pleasantly surprised by the tone of it so far. Very crisp and powerful. I will try to do a demo once my new strings arrive.

So why is it sitting on a sheet of construction insulation board?: I am building a custom hardshell case to hold both my new Ibanez and my Alvarez jumbo to take with me to Afghanistan in the very near future. I will put case build progress in the Luthier/customization/modifications section, but this is actually similar to how many hardshell cases are constructed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks for the review! Will be picking one of these up soon I hope! Congrats!!!

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice! I suspect they made it all maple to keep the tone tight and percussive. I have the older AJ307 and it's got a much softer tone, being a more traditional rosewood/spruce body. Mine also has relatively weak projection considering the jumbo body size, but that could also be string choice.

Nice to see they put on a compensated bridge saddle as well... that's probably my main complaint with the old AJ307... it just had a straight saddle, which was pretty useless for getting intonation anywhere close to accurate.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind having a seven string acoustic, and I don't have a seven string electric. Well... I almost bought a Viper 407, but the guy was a moron and wanted almost full price for a pretty well used guitar. Crackheads... :rolleyes:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
How can you tell the cutaway robs it of some tone? It would seem like such a small cutaway would be undetectable. At least, in light of the other variables.

Wrecklyss

Reaction score
How can you tell the cutaway robs it of some tone? It would seem like such a small cutaway would be undetectable. At least, in light of the other variables.

I am comparing to my Alvarez of nearly identical shape, but since the Alvarez has better strings, the tone of the Ibanez may improve with a re-string. All in all, it sounds better than many other cutaways i've played, and it's really nice being able to reach the higher frets on an acoustic for a change.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
First, Congrats and Happy NGD! I've been GASing hard for this!

Second, is it overly bright with the all maple body? I usually use a really deep and full tone so I'm a little cautious about them.

Wrecklyss

Reaction score
First, Congrats and Happy NGD! I've been GASing hard for this!

Second, is it overly bright with the all maple body? I usually use a really deep and full tone so I'm a little cautious about them.

It's not overly bright, the mahogany neck really helps bring out the lows. It's very crisp with the stock strings and the Low B is slightly quiet, but i ordered a set of Red copper Bronze 12s and an individual DR .065 phosphor bronze bass string, so hopefully that will even it out. I'll try to post a sample once my strings arrive.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Never before have I been so sad to be broke. I really want a seven string acoustic. Looks nice, and hopefully I'll be able to snag one next year at some point. Congrats and HNGD!

ShiftKey

SS.org irregular
Reaction score
HNGD!
I stumbled upon this acoustic 7 while searching for a child's size guitar for a Christmas present - ordered one for myself instantly, arrives tomorrow for £260 delivered :hbang:

Have to find a hardcase that will fit it properly,seems nobody in the UK has the ibanez fitted case for it yet:scratch:

When I get some time I'll take pics and do a ngd on it,first guitar I have bought in a few years since getting a 2228.... have been waiting so,so long for a 7 acoustic ...still haven't bought the child's guitar yet:lol::lol:

thelostfrost

Reaction score
When I saw the title of this thread, I nearly choked to death on my soup in a laughsnort. I had to resurrect my password after trolling for a while just to thank you for making my night.

Any news on new metalocalypse? I miss dat shttee.

')