New guitar advice "superstrat" suggestions

• Thread starter Dhare46
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dhare46

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm looking at purchasing a new guitar, preferably with a "superstars"
Body shape and preferably with a floyd rose style floating bridge. And
I'm not really concerned with the different pickups as I'll
Probably install my own

Im not looking to spend much more than £500 (possibly 550)so I'm
Perfectly happy to buy used. Im atm considering either
And ibanez rg1570 or the older 550 and 570 models, used Ofc. Was just
Wondering which would be my best option out of those 3 or what
Alternatives I could look at.

Any hElp appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prashanthan

Reaction score
Heard a lot of good stuff about older 550s. Seen this? Could potentially get that and spend the rest on upgrading the pickups. 1570s seem to go for a bit more, and that looks pretty sweet with the maple board, I'd personally try talk that price down a bit if possible and grab that.

Dhare46

Reaction score
Ah damn that's a pretty good price actually, I've seen them going
For a lot more than that, unfortunately I probably won't be able
To buy for maybe a month so though, but I'll keep and eye see if it's still
There

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
I've got a lot of old RGs, the thing you have to be carefu of is wear and tear, so the ole the guitar, the more potential problems. Don't forget that the earliest RGs are literally 25 years old.

Assuming the guitars are in highly playable condition (as they should be) then it comes down to choosing fretboard wood and pickup configuration. These days I'm favouring 570s and am currently doing up an 89. 10 years ago it was all about the RG550 for me.

What I would say thugh is that the original Edge bridge tends to be the most sought after, despite being the oldest version of trem that you'll find on those guitars. Costs will depend on colour and condition as well as the precise model, but there should be loads to choose from for under 500 quid.

Dhare46

Reaction score
Ye i've had a look on a few sites such as gumtree(like to avoid
eBay if possible) and there seems to be Plenty of choice, although
Much less if the 1570 than the older ones. And I have a Jackson with
A licensed floyd rose so any edge model should be a step up.

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
Any Jackson Dinky would be ideal. Also B.C.Rich Gunslinger or ESP/LTD have a huge range to choose from.

s4tch

Reaction score
^I second Dinkys. They are pretty cheap in the UK, all Japanese ones have a resonant, solid body and a fast, very comfy neck. Trems are better on Professionals or later models, a bit meh on Concepts/Performers. I also like all Jackson bridge pickups, even the ones fitted in cheapo Performers. I would say that Dinkys are a bit better players for my taste than RGs, they are considerably cheaper, too, so it's down to the trems to decide between a Dinky and an RG. Original Edge or Lo-Pro Edge are amongst the best floating trems for sure. But for 500 pounds, you can get a Dinky Pro, some pickups of your choice, and that's as good as it gets though.

fortisursus

Reaction score
I can attest to both old Jackson and Ibanez models. I used to have a RG550 and now have a Jackson Pro Dinky XL. I do slightly prefer the Jackson, but that is just personal preference. Something to keep in mind my RG550 did not have jumbo frets like many other guitars. That was a slight turnoff for me. The neck is also extremely thin. I think it may have been the thinnest Ibanez has made. But both are great guitars.

Look out for Jackson Pro (Professional) models from the early/mid 90s, not their current professional series. The models to look out for are Fusion, Stealth, Dinky, and Soloist. For more in depth information here is a great place to look. Guide to the Japanese Jackson Pro series guitars from 1990 - 1995

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
You get a 570 for cheapest usually. 550's have way more desire then 570s for some unknown reason, but 570s are EXACTLY the same quality/standards as a 550.

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
Not sure if you can get a superstar shaped guitar, but you can definitely find this:

tumblr_m68vmuSd2q1rti8qjo1_1280.jpg

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 1992 RG550 that is showing some age now. It plays great, but its 20 years old. Solid instrument. You mention super strats, give any thought to a Charvel promod series? You can get them used for about your budget. Not to mention they are MiJ so the craftsmanship is great

Dhare46

Reaction score
Well I'm more looking for an ibanez rg, Jackson dinky/soloist
Or ESP m/horizon style.

')