New Guitar Day BJR the deadly olive strikes

• Thread starter usagi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
So I finally got my tracking number and my Bernie Rico Jr 727 was arriving yesterday. After much anticipation it arrived. I really dont have time or patience for a pic story so here are some of the pics of it. This is a great guitar. I got one of the ones from the run that Zimbloth set up a while back. I didn't want to wait for my own personal custom so this was a good way to get a good deal on a BRJ with the options I wanted.
Maple Neck
Ebony fret board
25.5 scale 27 frets
Floyd Rose
Miracle Man in the neck
Painkiller in the bridge
When I saw pics of the guitar it looked much lighter than it actually is or than make pics make it look for that matter. It is an army olive drab though the pics make it look more like the color of a pemento olive. With that in mind I asked Nick to set it up with a green and red pickup to make it look like a giant pemento olive :) Knowing the actual color I might have had the neck pup be blue or white.

My impressions so far.

The cons. Only two minor issues happened during the transaction. The guitar shipped on the 21st I didn't get a tracking number until the 26th the day it arrived. As I work 12 hour shifts and my works part time I needed to know when the guitar was arriving so I could be sure it got picked up. Set up: I asked for the low B to be intonated a step down. It wasn't tuned that way when I got it. Though it may be intonated that way as it tuned to A perfectly unlike my KxK which was not intonated that way either, after I requested it.

Pros: Transaction both Nick and Bernie were excellent to deal with. They were both happy to take time to talk to me and answer my questions. When I was going to order the guitar Nick took at least an hour to talk with me and figure out what I wanted, we also had Guerilla to consider as well but I really wanted the BRJ (Guerilla is next). When I had questions for Bernie he returned my phone call in 3 minutes and talked to me for about 20 minutes.

The extras: The extra touches Bernie sends with the guitar are very nice touches. T-shirt is very nice, the velvet tool box, the case with the BRJ logo embrorded (spelling sorry) on the case is awesome. All this stuff makes you feel like you have ordered something extra special (which you have).

The guitar: This is my second custom guitar and I doubt I'll ever buy another production model again. The neck is more C shaped than the KxK and slightly thicker but extremely comfortable. Right now I like it better than the KxK and I didn't think that was possible. All the work on the guitar is impeccable. I didn't get to plug it right away but played it unplugged and it was loud and resonant. I like the color too, probably not what I would have chosen but it looks much cooler in person and is very unique. The neck is fast, the bareknuckles sound great. Bernie also put a coil tap in it. I have never had one. I'm not much of a single coil fan but it is a nice option if you want more of a strat sound. You havegreat access all the way to the 27th fret. The last three frets are surprisingly playable.

I definitely would do more business with Nick and Bernie in the future. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• halloween and bjr 006.jpg
    halloween and bjr 006.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 93
  • halloween and bjr 007.JPG
    halloween and bjr 007.JPG
    968.2 KB · Views: 191
  • clark b-d and new bjr 024.JPG
    clark b-d and new bjr 024.JPG
    854.1 KB · Views: 335
  • clark b-d and new bjr 025.JPG
    clark b-d and new bjr 025.JPG
    801.9 KB · Views: 247
  • clark b-d and new bjr 026.JPG
    clark b-d and new bjr 026.JPG
    673 KB · Views: 131

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FLGearnut

Reaction score
Looks like we both got our Ricos at the same time! Congrats on your "evil olive" man. Check out my NGD thread when you get a chance and you can see the one I got too :hbang:

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
Yes it is a cool accent. Looks really sick on FLGearnut's BRJ.

SirToastalot

Needs a better rig..
Reaction score
Thanks for the great write-up and pics!
Looks stellar, congrats.
Roughly how thick is the body and what's the feel on the neck-thru like?

It's all building up the anticipation for a future arrival.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Dude that is badass. I know its your thing and all but the pickups just dont jive. The rest of it looks like a tactical military instrument and would benefit from some black pickups. Happy NGD!

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Congrats man, that thing is sick though I agree that a set of black pickups would give it a really awesomely understated, technical look :metal:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sweet, I was expecting it to come out more green than that but maybe its the lightning. Looks great otherwise. Enjoy it dude and thanks for the kudos and business :)

PS: I wish I would be able to get my hands on one of these to ensure the neck profiles were done properly. They were supposed to very thin (about 19MM @ 1st). Unfortunately, or fortunately in a business sense, they all sold so I'm not going to get to play one of these. Would you say the necks are thin enough?

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats!
I think black pups swould make this look completely killer.
Love the color

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
Yeah when I saw the pics it didn't look olive drab as I said earlier. I retrospect I probably would have gone w/ black. I think the neck is perfect. It feels marginally thicker than a kxk neck, but I think I prefer the brj's neck. Zimbloth I guess slimline refers to the neck rather than the body? The body seems about as thick as an RG, though belly cut and forearm cut are exaggerated and very comfortable.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I have to go with the majority and say the pickups don't work with the color scheme. But I'm also not for black. Maybe both pickups being either one of the colors would look kickass. For instance, both red would make a very sweet accent. But it's your fiddle, dude. Shred it to pieces. :metal:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah when I saw the pics it didn't look olive drab as I said earlier. I retrospect I probably would have gone w/ black. I think the neck is perfect. It feels marginally thicker than a kxk neck, but I think I prefer the brj's neck. Zimbloth I guess slimline refers to the neck rather than the body? The body seems about as thick as an RG, though belly cut and forearm cut are exaggerated and very comfortable.

Yeah I don't know man. I haven't had a chance to play any of these so I can't say if he did the bodies thinner than normal or not. If it's like an RG thats fine. If you look at photos of regular Jekylls they're pretty thick.

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
I can't say. I was thinking it was going to be Ibanez S body style like the forum member here who got the purple one a while back. I dont really care. The cuts are really comfortable and it plays amazing.

')