New Guitar Day: Ibanez UV777BK

• Thread starter mrp5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrp5150

Call it.
Reaction score
Just picked this up the other day. Usually not a fan of basswood guitars, or DiMarzio pickups, but I got it for a decent price and it looks pretty badass so I figured what the hell.

It's a pretty light guitar and the neck is pretty nice on it. Kinda sanded down, real easy to play. Fretboard looks nice and dark after I put some Fret Doctor on it. Not sure what to think of the tone, it really doesn't have the crunch I usually like. It seems a bit too smooth sounding on palm mutes and such. Doesn't really sound anywhere as huge or thick as a mahogany body guitar IMO. I really wish it did though, because I love how it looks. I'll give it a few more days, but I'm probably gonna end up selling it.

I recorded a short clip with it, just part of a Scar Symmetry song. Playing is real sloppy, nothing special.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/79-SSUV.mp3

Here are some pics as well.

32079cbc.jpg

a7e29aac.jpg

38921929.jpg

121ad40a.jpg

aaaa1ca9.jpg

14d0dcfb.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
holy fuckin christ that thing looks amazing .. especially with that diamondplate pickguard...
if youre bored of it and would like to sell it please contact me man...

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
it may be worth the wait to hold out on selling that beauty until the EMG Blackout's come out. they'll be making some standard-sized 7's, so you'll be able to drop them in.

mrp5150

Call it.
Reaction score
holy fuckin christ that thing looks amazing .. especially with that diamondplate pickguard...
if youre bored of it and would like to sell it please contact me man...

Hey man, feel free to PM me an offer for it if you want. It used to belong to Joe DeGroot of Enforsaken. :cool:

it may be worth the wait to hold out on selling that beauty until the EMG Blackout's come out. they'll be making some standard-sized 7's, so you'll be able to drop them in.

Not really a fan of active pickups. I was thinking about putting a Duncan JB7 in it, but I just don't think I would like it as much as I do in a mahogany body guitar.

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
ahh, yeah, i've heard that Duncan's aren't really tight in basswood.

if you decide to sell it... well... you're in the right place :)

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Man, I've always thought the 777BKs looked good with black pickguards, and this is no exception. Nice score!

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Weird lookin grain on the fretboard, but the pickguard is kinda cool.

Reaction score
God damn is that nice. When I acquire my UV777BK (I saw it in my dreams :lol:), I'm putting that pickguard on it.

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
i'm not sure if i dig the diamond plate, but its way better than the mirror that comes stock.

and i like it way more without the middle single coil IMO.

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
i'm not sure if i dig the diamond plate, but its way better than the mirror that comes stock.

and i like it way more without the middle single coil IMO.

i've never been a middle single coil fan either. infact, i uninstalled the MSC from my RG570 a while back. i just never used it.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
That diamond plate gives the guitar an aggressive looking :hbang:

Congrats!

Reaction score
I was watching that same one in "my ebay", but decided to back out and just order a new S7320.
It's a damn nice looking axe, that's for sure.
Congrats.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
That guitar is absolutely gorgeous! Very beautiful.

My recommendation would be to change the pickups. If they aren't what you want, then change them. No need to keep pickups that you don't like. I listened to the clip you posted (I love Scar Symmetry) and I didn't care much for the tone either. Just swap out the pickups and you've got some good tone going on.

mrp5150

Call it.
Reaction score
That guitar is absolutely gorgeous! Very beautiful.

My recommendation would be to change the pickups. If they aren't what you want, then change them. No need to keep pickups that you don't like. I listened to the clip you posted (I love Scar Symmetry) and I didn't care much for the tone either. Just swap out the pickups and you've got some good tone going on.

I actually like how the clip sounds, I like it more than what the guitar sounds like in person.

Latest posts

')