New guitar help? ESP vs Jackson

brokenstatue27

Reaction score
I'm currently in the market for a new 7 and I have ran into a wall recently. I'm not looking for anything cheap, just looking to keep a certain favorite guitar from being my number one live guitar (I'm pretty rough on my guitars on stage unfortunately) for under a grand. I've kept my eye on the ESP LTD AW-7 for the past year, normally I'm not too big on signature lines but this thing looks like a beast (doesn't help I'm a pretty huge Whitechapel fan) and has everything that I need in a guitar. Mahogany, neck thru, nice top, locking tuners and just very unique on its own. I've never tried the D-Activators, but I like Dimarzio so worse case scenario they wind up in my Agile that I use at home for practice. I will own one eventually, just not sure if now is the time.

The other piece of wood I'm looking at is the Jackson SLATXMGQ-7. For one reason or another I always have a Jackson in my arsenal, most of the times because of deals I can't pass up, trades, gifts, etc BUT they have always been a reliable comfortable guitar for me. I've owned a fair amount of mainstream brands (PRS, Schecter, ESP, Jackson, Ibanez etc etc) and Jackson has always felt "home" to me even if it wasn't my main. This Jackson in particular caught my eye due to the transparent white finish, I LOVE that finish on any guitar. Drumcity Guitar Land has it listed that only 32 were made. If true that just makes me want it more and the price is great, but this one has both positive and negative. Again a nice top, mahogany body, neck thru, the rareness factor, 26.5 inch scale, and the wonderful Jackson neck i love. BUT the negatives are what keep me worried, I HATE 707's (I know its not TOO big of a deal, but this would be a definite swap which ='s extra cash right away) I'm also not COMPLETELY opposed to having a floyd, I see them very useful but also quite a bit of hassle to me, and every time I don't have a guitar with a floyd I want one, every time i get one i sell it. I hope this doesn't fall into this routine also

Hopefully I'll own both in the near future, but the Jackson being limited run could this be my only shot? And as badly as I want the AW-7 I've put off buying one for the past year and here's my shot to grab one.

So any suggestions? I've seen quite a bit of people on here rave about the AW-7 and I've seen a handful of people pick up that particular Jackson. Has anyone played both? Any other guitars at that price range I should reconsider?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

s2k9k

Reaction score
I actually just acquired one of these Jackson 7's used, and am very impressed with how it feels and plays. The EMG 707's are new to me. So I'm still getting used to those. But that bridge is sweet.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was recently shopping for a seven in your price range and ended up buying a Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7. I had a chance to play the Schecter and the Jackson back to back and I much preferred the Schecter (strange because I'm usually a Jackson guy). I like the satin finish on the Schecter's neck, as well as the Ebony fretboard. The fretwork was better on the Schecter as well.

I didn't get a chance to demo the LTD, but I was only looking at 26.5" scale instruments.

The Schecter has a model with active Blackouts or with passive Seymour Duncan's.

dethFNmetal

Banned
Reaction score
depends on the guitars you are comparing. esp really has no "low end" guitars. every seven string will be pretty pricey. jackson has quite a few mid end 7's out there though.

chopeth

Reaction score
I was recently shopping for a seven in your price range and ended up buying a Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7. I had a chance to play the Schecter and the Jackson back to back and I much preferred the Schecter (strange because I'm usually a Jackson guy). I like the satin finish on the Schecter's neck, as well as the Ebony fretboard. The fretwork was better on the Schecter as well.

I didn't get a chance to demo the LTD, but I was only looking at 26.5" scale instruments.

The Schecter has a model with active Blackouts or with passive Seymour Duncan's.

The neck is made of 3 pieces of maple, as far as I know, there's no ebony in the SLS C-7. By the way, best guitar for the price. :shred:

Orzech

Reaction score
I'm in favour of Jacksons also but you'll probably end up buying an ESP LTD if you so desperately want one... No need to justify your choice ;)

Sonofthe7thSign

8thWonderOfTheWorld
Reaction score
Best way to tell is get the guitars in your hands play them, then plug them up and play them you shouldn't have any problems after that. If your purchasing online at least go try one out at a guitar shop keep in mind that guitars are going to vary in tone and feel but you can get an idea playing the same model.