New Halo's - eights, nines and tens?

• Thread starter BryanBuss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    halo
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Reaction score
I have a guitar tuned with a high A at 26" with a .007. I use the same string for an E a fifth below (standard guitar E) on a 35" scale bass.

Works fine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score
Well a High A sir will certainly work better on a 26" scale guitar than an Low F#.

As for the gauges on this guitar are as follows .007 - .059 the .007 I have seems to hold a High A pretty well.

I would still like to try your strings out as we spoke on the phone before I went to NAMM and we should finish the conversation in the future and try some of your on these as well. Since I have a couple people requesting 8 strings with a High A.

I was curious what brand .007 strings were working well at 26" tuned to A440. I would like to buy some. I was asking what make 26" a better scale with regards to the high A string.
thanks

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
I was curious what brand .007 strings were working well at 26" tuned to A440. I would like to buy some. I was asking what make 26" a better scale with regards to the high A string.
thanks

Me too :agreed:
I use 007 and 008 at 23" scale (D'Addario or custom made in Poland by Polinski) and they can be break with easy even at 23".
Thanks

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Problem with most .007" and .008"s is that they are crumby and break when tuned to E-330.

I've used D'Addario and Ernie Ball .008"s to tune to high G without problems.

Most importantly, think of a steel guitar! A pedal steel guitar at 26" scale uses an .011" for a high G# that bends to high A-440 with the use of a pedal. Although the tension is much too high to play on a fretted instrument, the strings do not break. If an .007" string is breaking on a 25.5" instrument at high-A, it's just a low-quality string.

I've checked out Garry Goodman's strings and they hold their tension very well, although the strings he sent me seemed to be of a higher density and thus a little tighter than I expected.

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score
I have a guitar tuned with a high A at 26" with a .007. I use the same string for an E a fifth below (standard guitar E) on a 35" scale bass.

Works fine.

I beleve you. So what brand and gauge is the string ?

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Problem with most .007" and .008"s is that they are crumby and break when tuned to E-330.

I've used D'Addario and Ernie Ball .008"s to tune to high G without problems.

Most importantly, think of a steel guitar! A pedal steel guitar at 26" scale uses an .011" for a high G# that bends to high A-440 with the use of a pedal. Although the tension is much too high to play on a fretted instrument, the strings do not break. If an .007" string is breaking on a 25.5" instrument at high-A, it's just a low-quality string.

I've checked out Garry Goodman's strings and they hold their tension very well, although the strings he sent me seemed to be of a higher density and thus a little tighter than I expected.

I've used even 012 string and tune it to high G at 25,5, but with 007 or 008 I can tune even much higher. But it's really hard to find good quality 007 or 008 string. I agree with that. I've newer checked Garry's strings, maybe in the future. The problem isn't can we tune avaliable 007 and 008 strings to high A, but how long they will stay and won't break. Another problem is highly increased tension when we tune to high A at 25,5 or even longer scales. Garry Goodman told at SS.org that we have 009 strings which can be tune to A440HZ at 25,5 scale. Using D'Addario Tension Chart the tension is about 23,38 LBS. It's look to much. But we have to think about different feel using different gauges. As I told I used 012 tune to high A - tension is about 33lbs. It was fine to me. But with 009 tune to high G or higher I fell not so comfortable for my fingers, because sting is thinner and has more tension.

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score

I've used .008"s to tune to high G without problems.

" If an .007" string is breaking on a 25.5" instrument at high-A, it's just a low-quality string."

So what strings are the ones that will tune to A and be playable?( not including mine)

I am not trying to allude to my strings. I read posts about guitarists tuning to A440 at 26". They never seem post what brand and gauge string they use.
Also they don't mention if the guitar is top loaded or back loaded. Why are most guitars with a high A string fanned to 23" if a good ol' .007 can tune to A440 at 26"?

Also, no one has ever posted any video of a high A string on their guitar.
(being played with reasonable audio).

I try Ernie Ball,D'Addario and Ernie Ball La Bella, etc. etc. etc. .007, .008 on 3 or 4 guitars and the strings never can reach A440. I had the strings tested and none of them have the break in lbs. to be able to tune to and hold an A440 at 26". If they did ever reach A4, they would not last long after a few minutes of playing. I don't incluse Octave4Plus because what is sold as an A440 string can tune up to B4.

How usesful is a string that barely makes A440 at 26"?

Is it just me, or does it seem that something is just a little off to just post you take an E string and easily tune it up to A440 at 26"? If that is true, why do I get so much email from guitar players wanting a high A string?
I would like to tell them to go out and buy that Ernie Ball .008 or whatever.
So I ask again, what brand and gauge string does anyone use to tune to A440, and of course, have it hold up under normal playing?

angus

Reaction score
I beleve you. So what brand and gauge is the string ?

I buy them from Conklin- the 0.007 SIT-made string. I'm a bass player, but I've found that using the bass ball-end reduces breakage by an enormous amount on a guitar because there is significantly less bending stress in the string with a larger diameter ball-end.

I think I've only broken 1, ever, and it was on the 35" bass tuned to E, where it broke at the tuner end caused by a stress concentration at a kink where it met the locking tuner. A friend was going to borrow it and was restringing it and didn't wrap the string around the Sperzel a few times before putting it lock bore.

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score
I've used even 012 string and tune it to high G at 25,5, but with 007 or 008 I can tune even much higher. But it's really hard to find good quality 007 or 008 string. I agree with that. I've newer checked Garry's strings, maybe in the future. The problem isn't can we tune avaliable 007 and 008 strings to high A, but how long they will stay and won't break. Another problem is highly increased tension when we tune to high A at 25,5 or even longer scales. Garry Goodman told at SS.org that we have 009 strings which can be tune to A440HZ at 25,5 scale. Using D'Addario Tension Chart the tension is about 23,38 LBS. It's look to much. But we have to think about different feel using different gauges. As I told I used 012 tune to high A - tension is about 33lbs. It was fine to me. But with 009 tune to high G or higher I fell not so comfortable for my fingers, because sting is thinner and has more tension.

Thanks for this post. Just how much higher can you tune past G with the
.007 and .008 strings you mention and what brand are they? As Halo is offereing these new guitars, some have expressed interest in having the high A string option. So can a plain old E string tune up and work just fine as a functioning A440 string at 25.5" like "Angus" claims?? If so, which string? Are you saying you tune to A440 with an .012? Can you share with all of us what brand so we can go out and buy some and tune it right up to A440?

" Garry Goodman told at SS.org that we have 009 strings which can be tune to A440HZ at 25,5 scale. Using D'Addario Tension Chart the tension is about 23,38 LBS. It's look to much. "

The Octave4Plus .009 has a 33 lbs. break in pounds. It will tune to A440 at 29" and still can bend. That tension chart does not apply.

I will make a video clip shortly and post a link.

W4D

Bass Player
Contributor
Reaction score
Gary I told you before when I spoke to you on the telephone that the current ones I was using were from SIT and I also got some sample packages from a Korean String factory as well.

Anyway that being besides the point. I did not want this thread to end up on strings. Golly geeze, I was just offering an 8 string prototype for sale to someone who was interested.

I am sure your strings are KICK FUCKING ASS I have never stated otherwise and by all means I would love to try them as I said before. We have even spoke about it as I was leaving for Austin Texas for the NAMM show. I would liek to try yours out and purchase some as I said previously.

I have such a hard time understanding why this forum always takes one t hing and makes it take over the topic in question.

If you are so curious about strings post a thread about it. I mean it seams to me you already know everything about them.

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score
I buy them from Conklin- the 0.007 SIT-made string. I'm a bass player, but I've found that using the bass ball-end reduces breakage by an enormous amount on a guitar because there is significantly less bending stress in the string with a larger diameter ball-end.

I think I've only broken 1, ever, and it was on the 35" bass tuned to E, where it broke at the tuner end caused by a stress concentration at a kink where it met the locking tuner. A friend was going to borrow it and was restringing it and didn't wrap the string around the Sperzel a few times before putting it lock bore.

I have those strings, they are the same as the La Bella .007 as they buy the wire from the same place. You tune this wire to A440 at 26"?

Gary I told you before when I spoke to you on the telephone that the current ones I was using were from SIT and I also got some sample packages from a Korean String factory as well.

Anyway that being besides the point. I did not want this thread to end up on strings. Golly geeze, I was just offering an 8 string prototype for sale to someone who was interested.

I am sure your strings are KICK FUCKING ASS I have never stated otherwise and by all means I would love to try them as I said before. We have even spoke about it as I was leaving for Austin Texas for the NAMM show. I would liek to try yours out and purchase some as I said previously.

I have such a hard time understanding why this forum always takes one t hing and makes it take over the topic in question.

If you are so curious about strings post a thread about it. I mean it seams to me you already know everything about them.

You are offering an 8 string protoype and the tuning includes a high A string. Someone buys it and needs more strings, so they can buy an S.I.T. 007 that tunes to A440.
That is all I wanted to know. Thanks

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for this post. Just how much higher can you tune past G with the
.007 and .008 strings you mention and what brand are they? As Halo is offereing these new guitars, some have expressed interest in having the high A string option. So can a plain old E string tune up and work just fine as a functioning A440 string at 25.5" like "Angus" claims?? If so, which string? Are you saying you tune to A440 with an .012? Can you share with all of us what brand so we can go out and buy some and tune it right up to A440?

" Garry Goodman told at SS.org that we have 009 strings which can be tune to A440HZ at 25,5 scale. Using D'Addario Tension Chart the tension is about 23,38 LBS. It's look to much. "

The Octave4Plus .009 has a 33 lbs. break in pounds. It will tune to A440 at 29" and still can bend. That tension chart does not apply.

I will make a video clip shortly and post a link.

So there's answers.
With 007 or 008 strings (007 from polish string maker Polinski, he uses some German wire for pianos, 008 strings from GHS or D'Addario) I can tune only to high A#. With 007 I can only tune to A#, but string breaks easily when playing. 008 string can be tune to the same highA# and it's playable for only 2-3 days of normal playing. With those strings and highA I can play and strings won't break long time. But I use 23" guitar.
I told I could tune to A440Hz using 012. It was my mistake, because I told in the same post I tune to highG. With 012 string from GHS I can tune to highG at 25,5 scale and string won't break long time. But the tension was extreme even for me.
In my life I never had any string that I could tune to high A at 25,5" guitar. With shorter scales it's possible, but with standard strings from any company I never reach highA.

"The Octave4Plus .009 has a 33 lbs. break in pounds. It will tune to A440 at 29" and still can bend. That tension chart does not apply."

That's why your strings are great.
But I never had any string that I could tune to highA at 25,5 or longer scale guitar. With this 012 from GHS i could tune to highG and that was the limit. Any more tension and string was gone.

angus

Reaction score
I have those strings, they are the same as the La Bella .007 as they buy the wire from the same place. You tune this wire to A440 at 26"?

Yes sir, I've never had a problem with it yet. It lasts and can be bent after break-in, though admittedly I do not bend much nor do I have a hard picking style by any means as I'm a jazz player. But, I've not had any troubles.

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score
Yes sir, I've never had a problem with it yet. It lasts and can be bent after break-in, though admittedly I do not bend much nor do I have a hard picking style by any means as I'm a jazz player. But, I've not had any troubles.

Waylon, I'll buy your guitar from you on Monday(only if it is shipped with a perfectly good, working A440 string,of course) so my intrusion here won't be a total disaster to you and this thread.

Angus:
Would you mind taking a digital photo of the ball-end side of your S.I.T. .007 string and posting it on here?

Both Al Caldwell and I have had problems with the S.I.T. .007 breaking and popping of the ball end at the 34" when tuned to Eb4. E4 at 35" was out of the question.The tensile strength of the S.I.T. .007 was 397,000 p.s.i. IIRC and couldn't reach A440 at 26".
Before this post ( note the date): 40 " .007 - TalkBass Forums
S.I.T. didn't sell .007 strings for the bass scale with bass ball ends. I asked them to make some for my Adler 11-string bass in 2004.
As you can see by the number of replies I got, this was really something people were interested in.

Everybody: I don't care if anyone ever buys any strings from me. I make these strings for me, to put on my 8 and 9 octave guitars.
I sell strings to those who desire to expand their guitar concepts as a courtesy.

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Everybody: I don't care if anyone ever buys any strings from me. I make these strings for me, to put on my 8 and 9 octave guitars.
I sell strings to those who desire to expand their guitar concepts as a courtesy.

I'm absolutely with you Garry. I think you have a huge knowledge about strings and you are only one person who have strings so thin and strong to tune to A440Hz or higher at scales longer than 24" I think.
Before I started to build my first 9 string it was even impossible to tune to A440Hz without scale longer than 24". Thats's why my guitars are 23" and any other builders uses fanned frets. If there were any mass production string we could tune to highA, why we don't use them??
I never even bought any string from Garry, so I don't have personal or any reason to be with him, but I know he's right.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Waylon, I'll buy your guitar from you on Monday(only if it is shipped with a perfectly good, working A440 string,of course) so my intrusion here won't be a total disaster to you and this thread.

Angus:
Would you mind taking a digital photo of the ball-end side of your S.I.T. .007 string and posting it on here?

Both Al Caldwell and I have had problems with the S.I.T. .007 breaking and popping of the ball end at the 34" when tuned to Eb4. E4 at 35" was out of the question.The tensile strength of the S.I.T. .007 was 397,000 p.s.i. IIRC and couldn't reach A440 at 26".
Before this post ( note the date): 40 " .007 - TalkBass Forums
S.I.T. didn't sell .007 strings for the bass scale with bass ball ends. I asked them to make some for my Adler 11-string bass in 2004.
As you can see by the number of replies I got, this was really something people were interested in.

Word, dude. Those strings are the missing link to me. I want to get that extra high string. The low ones are a little easier.

W4D

Bass Player
Contributor
Reaction score
Gary I look forward to your call today. As I would like to to talk more about trying out your High A strings.

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score
Gary I look forward to your call today. As I would like to to talk more about trying out your High A strings.

It was good speaking with you and I look forward to playing your 8 string protoype.

W4D

Bass Player
Contributor
Reaction score
It was good speaking with you and I look forward to playing your 8 string protoype.

no problemo it will be shipping shortly to you. You are now the proud owner of the first octavia made with teh first kahler usa 8 string bridge on it.

')