New Headless Multiscale Zeus Basses from Kiesel

• Thread starter LordCashew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
They have made the same mistake as the Vader bass, in using a guitar body design mostly unchanged for a bass. The upper body needs to extend to the 12th fret like an Ibanez, not the 16th.
Even basses with the horn strap button at the 12th fret are shifted too far to the left when strapped on.
It's very disappointing how most guitar manufacturers neglect ergonomics to such a degree, it's like an elephant-sized blind spot.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
There are many widely available strings that have a 38" winding, like D'Addario Super Longs, that enables a 36" scale. The multiscale basses using 35.5" recognise this. So it's a little disappointing.

Yeah, I thought it was a dubious claim but a lot of people were defending it. I thought maybe by "standard strings" Jeff meant strings you could just buy off the shelf at a local store. But unless you play a standard-scale 4 or 5, good luck with that. It's hard even to find a set for a standard scale 6 in stock in any physical store where I live. Are there even really "standard" strings available for seven-string basses like the one he just introduced? :lol:

Seriously, who exactly can't be bothered to buy strings online these days? I get that it's really convenient to be able to walk into a store and grab a set sometimes, but lots of online sellers have turnaround times of just a few days. And once you're buying online, basically any bass is covered, like you were saying.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Could a part of it simply be selection? I don't know anything about bass strings, but, like, Elixir didn't make 7-string sets for the longest time, so if you would have to either piece together sets from multiple brands, or use something else.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
Seriously, who exactly can't be bothered to buy strings online these days? I get that it's really convenient to be able to walk into a store and grab a set sometimes, but lots of online sellers have turnaround times of just a few days. And once you're buying online, basically any bass is covered, like you were saying.

Maybe for you US folks. For us Europeans it can take a week or more to get them if they are not available in your country. I usually just buy several sets when I buy something else from say Thomann etc.

saved

Reaction score
I like the sound of dead strings more.So,i have more than 5 years to buy strings (i buy only for my builds,and these goes online because they are custom made)

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I actually really like that first 6 string! And while I get some people absolutely have to have some crazy long scale to do that Nolly sub bass tone, it's a huge pain in the ass to actually play anything complex on the lowest notes of my Dingwall so I think 35" is a good compromise.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
Its more a concern about them going with in house strings they dont want to have to order custom strings for everyone of these they make.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I mean there is a market for a shorter fan, not for me personally but its there.

Dingwalls been doing it with their Super J series for years. That's 32"-35".

I guess 33.5"-35" isn't as useful but I sort of get it. It can be a bit tricky to play complex stuff at the low end of a 3" fanned bass as well (I own a NG-2).

https://www.dingwallguitars.com/super-j

Last edited:

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Its more a concern about them going with in house strings they dont want to have to order custom strings for everyone of these they make.

As a decent-sized instrument manufacturer, Kiesel should be able to get whatever "in-house" sets they want custom-made in quantity from a number of sources. Back in the Carvin days, they sold rebranded sets of Labella or GHS strings in various configurations. I bet if they wanted to get some extra-long bass strings wound in bulk, most string manufactures would be willing to accommodate them. Dealers have done this for Dingwall players.

I can see them wanting to streamline their inventory and have all their basses be able to use the same strings, regardless of scale. But again, does the market for seven string basses and their special strings exceed the market for extra-long scale fives and theirs? I kind of doubt it.

I'm not hating on Kiesel's choices here. It's really cool to see the variety they're adding to their bass selection. Based on this thread and some discussion over on TalkBass, it's clear that the specs they currently offer are exactly what many of their potential customers want. Just not all of us...

I remember trying to generate interest in a seven string bass on the Carvin BBS roughly a decade ago and getting little traction. I would have jumped on an LB77 or BB77 at the time, but ended up getting a Conklin Groove tools instead. Had I been able to flash forward to this thing, my head might have exploded. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually cave to the 37" crowd as well. But on Christmas I found out my wife pre-ordered me an NG3 back in September, so I'll be out of the market if/when they do. Seems about par for the course...

Latest posts